• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD RDNA2/Big Navi Rumors thread:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I never expected burials for GPUs (although I would definitely go with the link below for that), roughly on par/cheaper/no supply issues would be perfectly fine for me :clap:

Obligatory

This ones pretty good too

Last edited by a moderator:
That AMD GPU + CPU performance boost thing is a scary precedent to set. Vendor lock-in is evil. Reminds me of Apple. Hopefully Nvidia and Intel don't do something like this in the future. Maybe Intel will do it with their own GPUs and then nVidia will be up a creek oof

That AMD GPU + CPU performance boost thing is a scary precedent to set. Vendor lock-in is evil. Reminds me of Apple. Hopefully Nvidia and Intel don't do something like this in the future. Maybe Intel will do it with their own GPUs and then nVidia will be up a creek oof

I think AMD did it because they were able to work on it from both the CPU and GPU end. I think them doing it, is more cause they are only only one with horses in both races. Makes business sense to leverage all of you expertise, especially when people having been asking for competition.

Shared memory.. if developed this is something really key.

Also rage mode is laughable but its basically telling you.. these cards are not tapped out unlike the 3080 / 3090s, I mean **** some of them are getting down clocked in-order to work properly.

Rage mode is basically a guarantee the cards have headroom.. I like that.. it means at worst I can run it stock and its ok after years of a oc even if I degrade it a bit. that's good .

I really do fear for longevity on the new 3xxx cards which seem to be maxed at stock in most scenarios, I'm in IT we sell hardware and tbh the new NVidia cards dishearten me because in a year or two I wonder how many will come back crying murder.

Last edited:

Our resident AMD fan boys would be enraged if either Intel or nVidia did anything approaching what AMD is doing. :nono: :temper:

On the contrary, we should be praising the companies for giving us free FPS, considering that most people already have a Intel+Nvidia or AMD+AMD setup [emoji106]

Good for those deep into the AMD ecosystem... but don't the majority run Intel and for AMD B450/X470? Just wondering how many initially get this 'boost'. The CPU isn't even out yet, so the number is officially at zero. I feel a bit bad for those running X470 and below... in order to get these improvements, you need to buy a CPU and motherboard.

I really hope we see testing on both systems so those who can use this new tech can see what it does, and for the overwhelming majority who are not using 5000 series CPU and B550/X570.

Yes that's definitely going to be a full system plunge if you want all these new features.
For most that's a tough sell considering who knows how optimized or utilized it will end up.
Look at SLI/Crossfire it has plenty of awesome practical uses if adopted by developers but all it took to ruin it was lack of development support etc.
So it ended up getting dumped.. but when it was working i was seeing like 80+% scaling in games on my 290x's which was amazing.
unfortunately it was under developed and abandoned so it just got worse and worse.

Last edited:
Good for those deep into the AMD ecosystem... but don't the majority run Intel and for AMD B450/X470?

There was some figures that in the diy sector that AMD were outselling Intel 10:1 in the period April 2019 to April 2020. And the diy system builders are more than likely the ones to use things like this from AMD as they will often buy higher end gear.

Yes of course many more people will own Intel systems right now, but going forward for the next few years, will that be the case? Who knows.

New information on the AMD's BIG NAVI
We have the RX-6900xt, 6800xt, and 6800
PLEASE take all info with a grain of salt until WE have official reviews:comp:

The RX-6xxx Series Info
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-series-6800-and-6900-preview-analysis,1.html

Here is some released Benches from AMD. If the RX-6800XT ($649) is this close to a RTX-3080 ($699) -> A Price drop is coming <- WOW :facepalm:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...00-xt-benchmarks-tested-on-ryzen-9-5900x.html

Comments are :welcome: :) :popcorn:

Nvidia won’t drop prices. Not only will it **** off all the people who spent over $700 for a 3080, but they also love to make money and good margins. They will more than likely produce a 3080ti and charge everyone more for the privilege, but people will pay it for that 1% better performance.

There was some figures that in the diy sector that AMD were outselling Intel 10:1 in the period April 2019 to April 2020. And the diy system builders are more than likely the ones to use things like this from AMD as they will often buy higher end gear.

Yes of course many more people will own Intel systems right now, but going forward for the next few years, will that be the case? Who knows.
I'm more than certain it will swing AMDs way. But it will take time. I think of it as a bonus for those who are in that ecosystem. Surely this will bring more.. I mean why not free performance along with a better CPU at reasonable price? Still, it will be years before it swings to a majority as there are still those hanging on to plenty capable X470 and below/Intel based systems. I wouldn't move on from a 9900k or better, at least for a couple of years.

Last edited:
I'm more than certain it will swing AMDs way. But it will take time. I think of it as a bonus for those who are in that ecosystem. Surely this will bring more.. I mean why not free performance along with a better CPU at reasonable price? Still, it will be years before it swings to a majority as there are still those hanging on to plenty capable X470 and below/Intel based systems. I wouldn't move on from a 9900k or better, at least for a couple of years.

That's the situation I am in. 2700x and x470. Not really worth upgrading. Unless new consoles force the minimum specs of games significantly higher.

No one is forcing anyone to upgrade, point is that when you eventually do (if you go AMD) there will be a few hardware combos that offer a performance boost "above and beyond" [emoji106]

Now the ball is on Intel's side to come up with something equal/better to keep people from choosing AMD.

No one is forcing anyone to upgrade, point is that when you eventually do (if you go AMD) there will be a few hardware combos that offer a performance boost "above and beyond" [emoji106]

Now the ball is on Intel's side to come up with something equal/better to keep people from choosing AMD.

AMD SAM is believed to be an implementation of resizable BAR support driven by Microsoft.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support
In short, traditionally the CPU can only access a 256MB window of the GPUs memory. Older people may remember paged ram access from CPU, sounds kinda like that. To make things more efficient the desire is to re-negotiate a bigger window, such as the entire GPU ram. Given it is MS driven, it seems likely at some point in future both Intel and Nvidia will support it also, with the additional work that might be needed to ensure it works correctly cross-vendors, AMD included. AMD got there first, but I view it kinda like PCIe 4.0. It is a nice to have, and will open up performance potential, but on my list of things to look for, it will be way lower than other functionality.

Back