• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD RYZEN 1800X Ripjaws V 32GB kit (2x16) 3200 MHz. Trying for 3200 Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nugget1800X

Hi guys been tearing my hair out for months!

My build is:

RYZEN 7 1800X Running @4.1Ghz Stable

32 GB Ripjaws V (2x16Gb) @2666 trying for rated speed of 3200Mhz Timings: 16-18-18-38 2N (Dual Rank Hynix it seems) Model # F4-3200C16D-32GVK

I've watched every video and forum humanly possible over the past 3 months in relation to my Ram and no one seem to be able to hit the rated speed of 3200mhz let alone higher with tight or loose timings.

The best they can get is 2666Mhz which I am currently running (stable)

Can anyone help me with working timings ohms and voltages on an MSI Pro Carbon X370 Motherboard for my RAM: Ohms, Voltages and Timings please to get this stable at the rated or above speeds yeah?

Full instructions would be invaluable too please, as I'm a first time RAM Overclocker. (Aside from XMP easy setups in past on Intel systems without any issues.)

Please don't say: "Just buy Flare X 3200Mhz 16gb kit" I do video editing and heavy gaming and want this system running as fast as possible with my current Ram as I can't afford more. (I live in Australia and everything here is super expensive so please can you do your best for me please!?)

For Example: https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gs...z-memory-ab69563#detailTabs=tabSpecifications

If you can give me timings and other settings for 3200Mhz that are stable excellent! If you can get me higher speeds up to 3600Mhz stable I'll be forever grateful!!

Here's to hoping someone has an answer for me!

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Every motherboard and every set of RAM sticks is going to have its own "sweet spot", so there isn't going to be a magic formula that covers everything. I appreciate the high price of using the right RAM, but... And honestly, from what I've seen getting 32 GB to run at 2666 MHz with a Ryzen chip doesn't seem too bad. We do have some memory gurus here so maybe someone more qualified than me will chime in.

Thank you for your very quick response.

The problem I've found is that most of the information is around x370 ASUS or Gigabyte, even the AsRock "Ta'Chi" boards, but not really anything about the MSI Pro Carbon boards at all!?

Why is that? It's on the same level as these boards but no one is talking about it in the mix?

I get reviewers are sent what ever they get sent so why isn't MSI sending them as well?

At least ASUS can use Trident Z up to 3600mhz no worries, Gigabyte Corsair Vengance LPX up to 3200Mhz and AsRock same kind or results including GEIL Super Luce Ram up to 3200Mhz with little to no worries.

MSI on the other hand seems to ONLY properly support Flare X 16Gb (2x8) Kit @3200Mhz and even with that people are having problems from what I've seen.

Once again thank you for your input, let's hope there is a genius here that can finally help me solve this once and for all still?

I'm hoping Woomack will see this thread and jump in. We have some very good memory guys here, but Woomack tests RAM a lot and is very familiar with more combinations of mobo/RAM than most.

It's not about motherboards but about Ryzen itself. There are no guaranteed settings above 2666 on 16GB modules. Simply this platform is not designed for higher density modules.
2x16GB will work at 2666 and anything above isn't guaranteed
2x8GB will work up to 3600 but nothing above 3200 is guaranteed, even 3200 is not guaranteed on many motherboards

FlareX isn't any better than TridentZ or RipjawsV. Also FlareX won't work if your kit isn't working.
Next thing is that most results around the web are not 100% stable. I could set 3200+ on every 2x8GB kit I had but only on 2 everything was 100% stable ( I was testing maybe 12-15 kits on Ryzen ). TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 CL14 kit had problems with stability at 3200 on my board even though it supposed to the the best kit for this platform ( the same as FlareX ).

If you are using it for video editing then you should care more about stability than a bit higher performance. In this case it's better to set 2666 than try to set 3200 what clearly won't work because this platform is not supporting so high frequency.

Bugger!

Well Thank you! I was going to buy Flare X 3200 16GB kit, although I can't afford it to see if that was the case.

So Just grin and bare it I guess, unless AMD, MSI, etc pull a rabbit out of a hat prior to RYZEN 2 yeah?

In that case will I be able to use the same board as I know the socket set is going to be used for quite a while now (Being AM4) will it be better to just wait for RYZEN 2 and just replace the CPU when it comes out?

Maybe then will the ram issue be overcome?

Or will it be a manufacturer issue etc?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Sorry about that. The first post was put in the wrong category so I reposted it in the right after.

Won't happen again.

I'm afraid Woomack is right Nugget. First off Ryzen has a dislike for Hynix in general and dual rank in general. Having the two together is just a double whammy. Many have tried to get them to run reliably at higher speeds and given up. 2x8 hynix will work but it's still achallenge to get it to 3200 and make it stable. My best advice to you would be as Woomack said jus grin and bear it or Sell the kit to someone and pony up the extra for Samsung based kit. It's a difference of night and day

I would still recommend getting 3200 not 3600. You'll have a better chance of getting them to work at XMP. Any kit with Samsung will run 3200- 3800 since the chips are the same under the spreaders just different XMP programmed. I would also like to point out that there's no "guarentee" that this kit will work without some tweaking or at all. A lot depends on the IMC of your CPU. G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB DDR4-3200 CL15 - F4-3200C15D-32GTZSK this is from Woomack's review here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...t-Z-2x16GB-DDR4-3200-CL15-F4-3200C15D-32GTZSK
Hey where did your post go?

I am in the same boat Nugget.

I have 16GB Corsair lpx (if memory serves me correct) which is on the amd website as supported and recommended for ryzen.

I can have the ram running at 3200 with stock cpu speeds and stable no problem. As soon as I touch the cpu and put even a very modest overclock on I lose all system stability. Drop the memory to 2666 and all is fine.

It is very frustrating but I don’t regret my ryzen build.

Don't get me wrong I love my Ryzen setup! Just wish the one thing that can make infinity fabric do what it's meant to do can't do it because ram support. Can't wait for 4000MHz tight timings to become the norm. Everyone will rave about Ryzen then right 👍?
Hopefully Ryzen 2 will sort it all out. Fingers crossed yeah?

Memory support for the CPU is a drag yes but can be dealt with and prevented with some research prior to buying. Samsung has always been the better DDR4 and Hynix the cheaper. Ryzen's biggest downfall is CPU speed. Similar IPC to Intel but a full 1000 MHz behind in speed. That's still a big gap.
Looks like some good 2x16 ram is on sale right now at newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232206

Back