• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3700X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The internet has been ripe with rumors and chatter about AMD's new 7 nm CPUs and today we have the Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core and the Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core/16-thread CPUs for testing to see just what these things can or can not do.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, AMD is really making things heat up with the competition. Nice to see!

For once the hype was real! Great review, do you think the 4.2GHz @1.25V would be doable on the stock cooler?

For once the hype was real! Great review, do you think the 4.2GHz @1.25V would be doable on the stock cooler?

Yep, temps weren't too bad and they perform very well just leaving them at stock with the PBO engaged

Now that the NDA is gone, any chance of some testing on b450/x470 boards and with more/different memory sticks?
I assume any testing was limited to the reviewer kit only, which limited you to x570 boards and 2x8gb 3200 ram.

Amazing work Shawn, impressive to get that much info on such a short time table as well.

Now that the NDA is gone, any chance of some testing on b450/x470 boards and with more/different memory sticks?
I assume any testing was limited to the reviewer kit only, which limited you to x570 boards and 2x8gb 3200 ram.

I did test the CHVII X40 with 3600 which booted at XMP but they still need some BIOS work done. The bus decoupled at that speed and when I dropped it to 3533 it's not supposed to do that until after 3600 MHz. The memory compatibility is in the new CPU more so than the motherboard it's in.
EDIT: I just installed 4000 CL17 and it booted with 18-17-17 timings, looks like geardown is still a thing but I'm running a quick GB4 to post here then heading out for a bit.
As you can see even though the memory is at 4000 I scored slightly lower than at 3200

x47 4000 mem.JPG

Last edited:
There is a section in our review on that....check it out...

As always outstanding review. I now feel confident upgrading to a 3700x. Thank you sir!

I found on reddit an AMD review megathread so I linked you reviews both Matisse and NAVI reviews and the OP has since added OCFs links.

Thanks Blay, I used to post that to /r/hardware as well but got yelled at by mods for posting from the same source a lot (sigh). If someone else can do that I'd appreciate it.

any idea if there any bios fix coming for overclocking , or this CPU is doomed for almost no OC ?

If I had to guess... I wouldnt hold my breath. We didnt get much if any better OC out of a new bios. Nothing will make these 5 GHz chips... 4.5 ghz chips I dont think either... :(

Last edited:
any idea if there any bios fix coming for overclocking , or this CPU is doomed for almost no OC ?

Maybe as the process matures a bit we'll see another bump in speed but no these are never going to OC well

If I had to guess... I wouldnt hold my breath. We didnt get much if any better OC out of a new bios. Nothing will make these 5 GHz chips... 4.5 ghz chips I dont think either... :(
too bad then , processor with almost 0 overclocking , should not be welcome in this forum :)
Maybe as the process matures a bit we'll see another bump in speed but no these are never going to OC well
i will stick with Intel then , most i hate is poor overclocking cpu

Back