• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3700X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
zen2ipc.png

Ok, it's only been 6 weeks since Zen 2 came out, and I only just got around to doing half the testing. Here's the SMT/HT on comparison of Zen 2 (3600) vs a Skylake (6700k) when both are fixed at running 2 cores at 3.0 GHz (configured as 1+1 on the 3600). The idea of limiting the cores and clocks, beyond making them the same, is to limit the influence of other parts of the system such as ram. Although L3 size hopefully doesn't make much difference, it is possible had I used a 9900k and did same, it might perform slightly better in some situations. No HT/SMT scaling results for now.

3DPM I don't have much to say about. I only run this as it gives interesting (higher than anything else) scaling with HT/SMT. At best it is a highly niche compute scenario.

Cinebench needs no introduction. R15 sees more of an advantage than R20.

Y-cruncher calculates digits of Pi and is generally optimised to scale with available hardware, although for now it does not have specific Zen2 consideration so there is some potential for further improvement there. 25m is pretty small, but 1b runs to minutes, and will involve more significant ram access.

Prime95 isn't a just stress test, but is indicative of much software used in the search of prime numbers. Two scenarios were used with the built in benchmark running one task per core. 64k FFT is small and fits well within the CPU's cache. Note in absolute terms, SMT doesn't give more performance than without, but there is less loss on Zen 2 than Skylake. 2048k FFT is large, and Intel gets a slight advantage here when HT is on. I suspect this is related to the memory architecture. The Zen2 L3 cache is nearly sufficient to hold a single task, but not when running two with HT/SMT. Ram bandwidth then starts to impact more, but Zen 2 has half bandwidth writes from each CCD and this is probably starting to choke. Intel CPUs offer full bandwidth each way.

Aida64 has a bunch of synthetic benchmarks. Photoworxx in particular seems to be ram sensitive so that may in part be why it is relatively weak. AES has always been a strong area even with past Zen generations. They seem to have replaced Hash with AES3, and removed VP8. Hash was another one running particularly well on Zen, but AES3 swings towards Intel. VP8 I found to be highly variable between runs so I don't miss that at all.

All considered, Zen 2 has generally better IPC all round compared to SKylake (and by implication, other -lakes until Sunny Cove e.g. Ice Lake). For many things CPU throughput related, assuming it can sale, this would seem the optimal choice until we see a desktop Sunny Cove part from Intel.

Test setup

Common:
Windows 10 64-bit 1903 with August 2019 updates
3DPM v2.1
Aida64 6.00.5100
Prime95 29.8b5
Y-cruncher 0.7.7 9501

AMD system:
Ryzen 3600
Noctua D9L
Asrock B450 gaming-itx/ac, bios 3.50
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 4000 2x8GB @ XMP3600 settings

Intel system:
i7-6700k
Deepcool Lucifer
Asus Maximus IX Apex, bios 1301
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 4000 2x8GB @ XMP3600 settings

I wonder if same test methology could be run on 9xxx series Intel. It's a match for intel from 3 gens ago, but can it fare just as well with current lake?
Very interesting indeed!

Nothing has significantly changed with the execution cores from Skylake to Coffee Lake. The only difference a 9900k might have is from having more L3 cache. It might help a bit in some of the tests but I wouldn't expect it to radically change things.

Improvements were mainly down to more cores and more clock. I think they did put in some new instructions in Kaby Lake but they're for something rather niche I can't even remember what it is. Certainly not generally applicable. Might have been video decode related.

Intel said there only going to be around 10% ipc gain over skylake for the new cpu's. So if they lose some clock speed on 10nm like what it is looking like then Ryzen 2 should age quite well and Ryzen 3 is going to be troublesome for them.

But AMD or Intel fan Ryzen 2 was a good thing for all. It dropped prices on intel cpu's and made Intel wake up.

Well, no worries still. Intel is still a potent weapon, especially if you get one that cn hit 5ghz! Not a lot of humans need all 24 threads. I am glad they still keep their edge. Even if they do fall behind, it's only by a few percent, which is not perceptible to a human eye.

Well, no worries still. Intel is still a potent weapon, especially if you get one that cn hit 5ghz! Not a lot of humans need all 24 threads. I am glad they still keep their edge. Even if they do fall behind, it's only by a few percent, which is not perceptible to a human eye.

based on what what i seen with ice lake clocks how they are lower then previous. So i got a feeling we might see the desktop 10nm top out around 4.7ish. Going to be great cpu's but i dont see them as being these AMD crushers that fanboys are thinking they will be. And we know Zen 3 will be out next year so these might not even go against Zen 2 they might compete against Zen 3 so if they get more ipc this is going to be interesting. Next year will be exciting.

Good year. AMD is back. Wow classic launches today. Back to the glory days of wow on AMD.

based on what what i seen with ice lake clocks how they are lower then previous. So i got a feeling we might see the desktop 10nm top out around 4.7ish. Going to be great cpu's but i dont see them as being these AMD crushers that fanboys are thinking they will be. And we know Zen 3 will be out next year so these might not even go against Zen 2 they might compete against Zen 3 so if they get more ipc this is going to be interesting. Next year will be exciting.

Good year. AMD is back. Wow classic launches today. Back to the glory days of wow on AMD.

So far AMD barely matches Intel if we take a look at overall performance of their products (not saying about 1-2 CPUs but whole product line). We can compare benchmarks but all that is just pure marketing. In real most users see no difference if they use AMD or Intel and those who need higher clock for 1-4 threaded software will have better results on Intel.
So far AMD 3000 makes a lot of noise about almost nothing. It's a performance improvement comparing to previous series but still nothing really significant for most users.

In reviews, barely anyone is talking about the disadvantages of new AMD. When Intel has problems with high temps on their higher chips then AMD has problems with the whole line. Those who buy larger AIO or custom water loops won't see the problem but those who wish to use these processors in smaller PCs or with stock coolers will see nothing but thermal throttling and performance drop in pretty much everything more demanding.

AMD delivered next slightly improved Ryzen. Max clocks are not much higher than in previous CPUs, performance is slightly improved. In general, it's a good product but nothing really spectacular to make so much noise about. Marketing works hard so potential users think otherwise.

I like AMD more than Intel but really, it's far from beating Intel. AMD will take some more market shares but won't beat Intel anytime soon.
If they don't change architecture, then will hit the same thermal/power wall in Zen 3. So far they are still pushing the same low power Ryzen architecture but forced to run at 1.4V+ so it could pass 4.2GHz in mass production.

I'm wondering if these new CPUs will last 20+ years with that kind of voltage like older gens did. Not that it matters a whole lot to most humans..

I'm wondering if these new CPUs will last 20+ years with that kind of voltage like older gens did. Not that it matters a whole lot to most humans..

Not sure what you mean. CPU's from 20+ years ago were using 2.x volts.

Sorry for the double post, but AMD has sent an email out admitting a problem with CPUs reaching boost and will address it with a Firmware fix. :)

“AMD is pleased with the strong momentum of 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ processors in the PC enthusiast and gaming communities. We closely monitor community feedback on our products and understand that some 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen users are reporting boost clock speeds below the expected processor boost frequency. While processor boost frequency is dependent on many variables including workload, system design, and cooling solution, we have closely reviewed the feedback from our customers and have identified an issue in our firmware that reduces boost frequency in some situations. We are in the process of preparing a BIOS update for our motherboard partners that addresses that issue and includes additional boost performance optimizations. We will provide an update on September 10 to the community regarding the availability of the BIOS.”

V151 on my x570 godlike has fixed the boost issues. I'll check and see if I can gain more in terms of manual oc after I get off work but I tested the leaked godlike bios and it running pretty good so far.

Since there is no other general Ryzen thread then I will leave it here:

Hynix C @4800 20-26-26 1.50V on X570 :)
Will show some more on this memory but some time later as I have to finish other reviews first.

V-Color brand as an answer to questions about less popular brands available in Amazon store :)

4800.jpg

4600 runs at 18-24-24 1.50V

So far I was able to pass the 4800 mem clock on Samsung, Micron, and Hynix. Somehow I doubt I can make that on Nanya or SpecTek and there are no other IC brands.

Last edited:
Back