• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Set to Adopt New Interconnect Architecture, DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreek

The world’s second largest maker of x86 microprocessors, Advanced Micro Devices, disclosed plans to introduce enhanced multi-core processors that support built-in DDR3 memory controller as well as to present platform initiatives that allow more than 8 physical chips to be installed into a single system.

By 2008 AMD is set to introduce its so-called Direct Connect architecture 2.0 that would improve interconnection between processors and processing engines within a chip. The new interconnection architecture will allow more than 8 processors to be connected in a single coherent memory system without the need for additional logic devices. The company plans to offer the architecture that will allow to easily build up to 32-way systems.

Full Story

4 CPUs + 8 cores per CPU = a 32-way system :drool:

Other way around, I think.
Isn't it 4 cores /cpu * 8 cpus = 32 physical cores?

Still, I can imagine no reason why an average pc user would need 32 threads. Mainstream applications have only barely scratched the surface of dual core processing.

Now take those 32 cores and add hyperthreading :drool:

edma2 said:
Other way around, I think.
Isn't it 4 cores /cpu * 8 cpus = 32 physical cores?

Still, I can imagine no reason why an average pc user would need 32 threads. Mainstream applications have only barely scratched the surface of dual core processing.

Now take those 32 cores and add hyperthreading :drool:

I have the feeling this is aimed at the server market.

How much real life performance is there between DDR and DDR2?

Sorry, I'm not to educated on RAM.

just got rid of my 820d w/ ddr2 675 cas 4 and got around 6200mb/s bandwith. my new ddr1 Kingston value memory @ ddr 432 2.5 3 3 7 1t gets the same 6200mb/s. Latency is key in memory bandwith. Imagine what ddr2 500 or 533 runs at? less than ddr1 333 w/good timings I bet.

Yes & no. It will have a lot of great features, but unless the new memory controller allows for higher overclocks, M2 won't be anything super special. DDR3 will be a great improvement though.

I just hope I won't be beating myself for not waiting a few more months... if this new socket is a major improvement.

I hope I made a good investment on the rig I just recently built in sig. Next upgrade is quad core cpu :drool:

M2 will use DDR2.

And yeah I heard about this Direct Connect stuff too, sounds awesome.

Interconnect sounds like it will be useful for servers but I can't see how it will be of any use to us home users. Maybe in about 5 or 10 years we will need it but by then something else will be out.

Sweet 8 cores on a CPU now where talking :)

This is great for my intrests in Rendering and such. This would be great for production work on films also getting fewer computers yet having lots of power under the hood.

Back