• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Socket G34 vx Intel Socket 2011, dual 16 core server proc 4 poweruser pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shmu321

Hi,
I code, play video games, like to host servers, run virtualizations, etc.

I am trying to decide between older Socket 2011 with two Intel Xeons (rough $200 for both processor), 6000 series. They are 8 core/16 threads, I am going to get a dual socket mobo. Also found some good deals for about the same price for 10 core / 20 threads. I was wondering whether this or AMD Opteron is better for video games / encoding / decoding / hosting / virtualization. With the G34 socket I can pop 4, 16 core, operterons in for 64 cores / 64 threads (NO HT). This will also be my person desktop any ideas on what would be the best motherboard / processor for this purpose? I will eventually throw a 1070 in it or something for gaming down the line. I will be getting the processors on eBay where server companies sell their processors so inexepnsively when they upgrade all their servers. Thanks, Sam. Want to future proof as much as possible.

A quad socket G34 system will be much more expensive - huge expensive motherboard, huge expensive case, and a huge PSU. And you better have a huge desk for it to sit on. You can pick up a dual E5-2670 Motherboard, CPUs (16C/32T), and 32 GB RAM for only $350 and then spend a lot less on the case and PSU. The quad G34 will also light up your electric bill. What are you going to need 64 threads for anyway? Last year one of the members here sold four quad G34 combos here so you missed out on a real bargain there, except for adding the expensive case and PSU.

Thanks for the advice are there any dual Socket 2011 motherboards you recommend? Any with BIOS that would more overclocking features would be a plus i dont plan to push them to hard I will probably go with hybrid liquid cooling if i can find a good HSF for dual socket xeons if I can find one that would fit. Also I will be using a 4k monitor sometimes would the 1060 or the GTX480 be better? I would go for the 1070 but am on somewhat of a budget. Thank you! I will post my video card question in that forum. Mostly curious about dual socket LGA 2011 xeon mobo / proc combinations that are recommended and if there are liquid HSF for these types of setups. If there is a mobo with better OC features that would be preferred. Also how big of a PSU will I need will 750W+ suffiice?

Back