• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Netwalker

I recently bought an AMD xp 1800 cpu with a msi motherboard.
The temp of the cpu is running around 54 when working hard and when idling about 48 But that is with the side of the case off .. with it on it will climb to 60 .I am using the fan that came with the cpu (Retail Box) and the case has a front fan too.
Whats up???? Is this normal.? seems high to me but ???
Thanks. :eek:

Netwalker said:
The temp of the cpu is running around 54 when working hard and when idling about 48 But that is with the side of the case off .. with it on it will climb to 60 .I am using the fan that came with the cpu (Retail Box) and the case has a front fan too.

thats a little high,atleast for my taste,I have a xp1700 oc'ed to an 1800 and it ranges from 32c to full throttle at 40c.

but I also have arctic silver II on a vantec copper cooler with a 7000 rpm delta fan on the cpu,and 5 80mm case fans.

I don't think your temps will damage anything,but you could bring it down a little I think,my cpu cooler is around $18 dollars and a tube of arctic silver is about $5 and something like that would bring it down in temp.and I also have all rounded ide and fdd cables that help with air flow in the case.

my cooler
this is better than the stock thermal tape
MVC-001Fcase.JPG

MVC-006Fcase.JPG

You didn't say how you were measuring your CPU temps. If it is with the in socket thermistor, then your actual CPU temps are probably higher than what's being reported. If you are using the in socket thermistor, your 60 degrees with the case closed is probably more like 68 to 70 degrees. Maybe even more. Too hot!
If you have a significant temperature differential between open case and closed case (which you do), then you need more air circulation in your case. Go to the front page ( overclockers.com ) and on the left hand side, click on "Case Cooling". There are several articles on how to cool your case. Stick with solutions that don't require radical case mods first. If that doesn't work you can then go with more radical mods.
Also, Go to the front page and click on "Click Here for Heatsink and Watercooling performance Rankings". Notice where the Stock AMD Heat Sinks are listed, dead last. To paraphrase Joe, "The stock AMD heatsink makes a good paper weight, and isn't good for much else." Now, pick a heat sink at the top of the list that will work with your Mother Board, and as Crazyman suggested, install it with Artic Silver thermal paste. I like the Alpha Pal 8045 heatsink, but it won't work with all Mother Boards. If you improve your case cooling and install a decent heat sink, your temps should go down.

Crazyman
I like your layout, nice and clean with no cable clutter. The way you dressed out the cables, you wouldn't happen to be/have been a Western Electric/Lucent installer would you?

Pudge

Last edited:
pudgy-duck said:
Crazyman
I like your layout, nice and clean with no cable clutter. The way you dressed out the cables, you wouldn't happen to be/have been a Western Electric/Lucent installer would you?

Pudge

thanks ,nice compliment,but no ,I have never installed for them.

I have been in the automotive electrical business for 24 years and work part time for a small computer company installing and configuring cable modems and network wiring in small businesses and new homes.

but mostly I just like doing neat wiring in my pc's and cars!

take care,, :) Dan

Netwalker said:

like right now,I just played Q3 for 25 minutes and my cpu is at 37c

so I really think with not much $ or effort,you could bring those temps down. :)

Last edited:
if you want your case to be cooled damn near perfect, go with this setup

then for your cpu cooling, i suggest the alpha pal 8045, with pretty much any 80mm fan they make, it will cool your cpu really well no matter what you put on it, as you can see my results below....i do not recommend getting the sk6 or something like that (all copper) because you have to have a high speed fan on it to do any good...copper take the heat out of stuff quicker, its just that it takes more to dissipate the heat....thats why the alpha and swiftech heatsinks are so good, combination of both. the new thermalright AX-7 is good too...you might look into one of them

Netwalker said:
did u put the hs on? if u didnt it probably has a pos thermal pad instead of arctic silver on it....u said u have one intake fan, no exuast fans?? this is a must for just about any computer now a days U MUST HAVE VENTALATION! my suggestion is break out a dremel and cut u some nice fan holes and buy some ear plugs...

Back