• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD+Thermal Grease = No Warrenty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mico

I read from the AMD site that the use of thermal grease on any product of theirs voids the warrenty. (The exception to this was one ceramic brand, but then only for test purposes.) I was wondering whether or not to go ahead and put on some Arctic Silver III. About what is the risk factor that it will somehow destroy my CPU?

Legend911

Thermal Paste

hahahahhhhahahhhhaahhahhhhlolollololloololololll

Don't listen to that crap they obviosly messed up there statement. Artic Silver 3 and ceramic are the best thermal paste around. If you want to just run the heatsink go ahead burn your cpu to hell I won't cry for you for listening to a dumb article!;) :D

If you don't get artic silver 3 and use it I will cry.:(

NoKtEm

is the warranty thing really true though? maybe it's AMD's way of saying we don't really give warranty.. haha

(HR)Titan

Re: Thermal Paste

Legend911 said:
hahahahhhhahahhhhaahhahhhhlolollololloololololll

Don't listen to that crap they obviosly messed up there statement. Artic Silver 3 and ceramic are the best thermal paste around. If you want to just run the heatsink go ahead burn your cpu to hell I won't cry for you for listening to a dumb article!;) :D

If you don't get artic silver 3 and use it I will cry.:(
that's not true
as3 is electrically conductive in a thin layer under extreme compression.
here is
more

LilBuddy

so if they don't warrant anything using thermal grease, that makes every overclocker out there void their warranty. and they aren't stuck paying for chips we fry on part of our own negligence

altec

polka dot ninja
LilBuddy said:
so if they don't warrant anything using thermal grease, that makes every overclocker out there void their warranty. and they aren't stuck paying for chips we fry on part of our own negligence

Every overclocker out there voids his or her warranty anyway by overclocking...;)

altec

polka dot ninja
LilBuddy said:
but can AMD tell if you have overclocked your chip just by looking at it?

No, but they cannot tell you used Arctic Silver 3 either...if you clean it before you send it back. ;)

altec

polka dot ninja
Crematique doesn't conduct electricity, and is suppost to be as thermally conductive as AS3, but I always use AS3 because I trust it...go with what you want.

OP
Mico

Mico

I will be running a AMD 2400+ (2.0G) with a thermaltake rated for AMDs up to 3200+ so even if AS3 works a little better, I still shouldn't fry my cpu (assuming I do everything correctly) if I use the Crematique, right?

glock19owner

As long as you dont get the AS3 all over the place besides the CPU die, you will be ok...the problem is, is when people get it all over the bridges and then don't clean the bridges and short their CPU...they have to blame something else then their own stupidity...

OP
Mico

Mico

Okay. Just for checking my vocabulary, the die is the raised portion in the middle of the chip that is larger than the others, correct?

modenaf1

glock19owner said:
the die is the sqaure metal piece in the center of the CPU...has the CPU code embeded on it...
t birds and pally's only. ;)

ones with the code embedded in the core actually helps you put on the paste. if you can barely but not quite see the lettering you have the right amount.