• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD to produce Hammer Chips for Apple!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great now what are the Mac people going to think about this.

OOO it is a PC Part it might crash. O well this might be intresting.:eh?:

This would be a nice leap in market share I would think if its true.

Yes it is a smart move by AMD If this goes through then AMD will have a secure future.

But I cannot keep getting these mac people off my mind.

Stupid Switch AD's :rolleyes:

I would think that they could charge more per cpu on apple based systems too.Seeing how much money they cost.

I'm sure this one has been beating to death but the one with the girl talking about how she kept losing her reports cracked me up.Probablly was Bonzai Buddy
Mr. $T$ said:
Yes it is a smart move by AMD If this goes through then AMD will have a secure future.

But I cannot keep getting these mac people off my mind.

Stupid Switch AD's :rolleyes:

ya i hope they do it amd will get more buisiness that way and then will hopefully produce more cpus and therefore no more paper launches!

Well, this is an interesting thread. I work as an Apple support tech and speak to mac users and troubleshoot mac's all day new and old. What Apple's biggest problem is they do not work close enough with developers in order to get their programs released when they release a new os. OS X is a diversified operating system allowing programs from os 7.x - 9.2.2 to be run through classic environment. The reason why some mac users experience crashing issues when running classic applications through os x is because the user had not installed the program properly. Classic applications should ONLY be installed in os 9 NOT classic interface in OS X. Once the application is installed the end user can restart their system in OS X and run the application withought any problems. I am a PC user and have been for several years but I admit the Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25 Ghz is one bad motha that no PC can touch. Sure Apple prices are not for the everyday joe who wants a system to surf the net, but the high end G4's are not built for everyday applications. Apple's reputation is built on being the best and the fastest which they are. They manufacture high end digital editing machines which can encode %49 faster than the fastest PC's. I am doubtfull that Apple has any plans of integrating third party PC Processors into their systems, Apple inovates their products from the ground up, they always have. I personally do not own a Mac but I sure wish I did. When you look at the products Apple sells on their website they are expensive for a reason, Apple covers their products with #1 Tech support, they cover all products that they sell you, not third party vendor products such as generic ram that causes most peoples systems to crash after a week of use. or third party mice that were never designed to work with a Mac. Most Mac troubleshooting conscists of rebuilding a preference list to make an application launce properly or correcting a setting that an end user has improperly entered. I am not saying Apple is perfect by any means but what technology is? Apple is playing the game like any other hardware / software vendor. They may not produce the volume that PC's do but who do you call when you get a blue screen when you get one? Apple covers all aspects of their products and not all third party products the user chooses to put in, no different than Dell or any other integrated PC manufacturer. All systems have problems a major factor is the end users ability to change at the pace of the software and hardware aspects of our quickly changing technological advancements, that is no different than someone going from win 95 or 98 to Win XP wondering why their system crashes all of the time because of a program they installed that was programmed 7 years ago.

I heard something like this a while back, from what i heard, Apple was not happy with the rate Motarola was increasing the speed of they're CPU's and was planning on looking elsewhere.

I just wonder if this would finally make macs upgradable, instead of throw away your computer and get a new one everytime the processor is old...

RPM_Computing said:
I am a PC user and have been for several years but I admit the Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25 Ghz is one bad motha that no PC can touch. Sure Apple prices are not for the everyday joe who wants a system to surf the net, but the high end G4's are not built for everyday applications. Apple's reputation is built on being the best and the fastest which they are. They manufacture high end digital editing machines which can encode %49 faster than the fastest PC's.

I think you've been reading the mac magasine, or watching too much ad's. I don't even remember when I last saw a shoot-out between mac's and pc's where the mac's had any kind of chance. Sorry, but they are just not cutting it. I can't be botherd to look for all the benches, but I would imagine this one is more reliable then that one photoshop bench that's allways shown in mac ad's... Finest of the pc world, against the finest of the apple world:

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm

You guys look at MHZ to much. A g4 at 700 Mhz is faster then most PC processors at almost double the MHZ.

I Own both mac and PC. Yes PC is cheaper and easier to upgrade. But I like Mac's operating system OS X more than Win XP.

If you do video editing and such mac is #1 without any competition. But thats a limited market.

If mac wants to get a fatter share they need to go with systems geared for gaming as well as anything else. Mac is not in the business for JOe Six Pack who wants to just surft the web. Go buy the dork *** kids dells for that. Or an Emachine lol.

I still use my PC more, mostly because I love Video Games, and Mac and Video games just dont mix much.

But those switch ads are gay.

1. I'd have to disagree that the Powermac 1.25 ghz is so fast that no PC can touch it. I know that my year old DP Athlon 1900+ can torch any Mac in Apple's line up. Partly that's the fault of Motorola's sucky processor speeds...the other half of the problem is Apple, running machines on slow busses and includign crippled video cards like the Radeon 9000, 7000, Geforce MX.

This was the first generation in which the Powermac went above PC133 memory. While that was hyped, the current generation of G4 processor isn't DDR enabled, so it can't take advantage of DDR memory. So you get to spend extra $ for the RAM sticks you buy without any benefit (save for the 34 mhz uptick in bus speed that you get going from a 133 mhz bus to a 167 mhz bus on the G4 1.0 and 1.25).

2. I'd have to disagree that the G4 processor outperforms the P4. It was fair to say that the G4 outperformed the P3 chip...so did the AMD Athlon. But processor architecture is not really that big a factor anymore.

I guess the point of that dealmac thread was that Apple's core (of which I was a part till about a year ago) sees the writing on the wall as well as the general computing population. It could be a short, steep, ugly decline for Apple from this point forward.

Jawsome said:
All Macintosh people are idiots.
So I guess I'm an idiot. That statement is just plain wrong and inappropriate. I have 7 PC's and 2 Macs, they have DIFFERENT uses. Oh and about the ram, you can get "Mac" ram a crucial, you don't need to buy it at the Apple store. I would be mindful of what you say.

Back