• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD vs Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mico

My friend tells me that AMD runs graphic intensive application better than Intel, however I question his judgement after looking at a few benchmark tests. In general, which is better for say, Counter-Strike or Tribes 2 or something like that.

AMD helps in intensive aplications. it does more per clock cycle. Intels are better for the little stuff that dosent really matter and benefits from high Ghz ;)

I think this might help...

deadhorse_1024x768.jpg

as inthrees said...

In all honesty, it really. doesn't. matter.
No, seriously.

to all those proposing this question without
a) searching for the hundereds of threads already about it
b) eating their weetabix
...give it a rest :rolleyes:

oh...

Yea when i came in i thought someone was gonna ge asking "give your opionion- which do you prefer?" or something.. i was like "oh no, not again :D"

I reckon mods should delete AMD Vs Intel threads (not this one, just those "which do do think's better?" type ones...)

in my opinion for those games AMD because they wont need all the power they can get if you have a decent video card so you can get a slower proc and not notice, so go for the cheaper and get an AMD, now for having simply the fastest machine you would probably go for an Intel :)() unless you dont have lots of money to blow, in that case you would go with a good OCing AMD:D

intel runs the best benchmarks known to man.
honestly they do,but we all have learned in oc101 "benchmarks mean squat."

amd's are more fun and challenging to oc."my opinion"
in the end it doesnt matter who is faster as they are almost completly differant.and if amd could find a way to prove they are faster i think us amd guys would be bragging about it.

kinda like saying which is faster a ferrari or a porche?
the red one is always faster on a windy day.but brakes better if the sun is at high noon.but rest assured both will cost you out the *** for speed.same thing here :D

At the AMD extreme performance tour a while ago, they had machines running to compare graphics.....

they had intel running software rendering, and they had AMD running nForce graphics.......

needless to say, THEY BOTH SUCKED! YOu can NOT play UT2003 on a geforce2! rofl

Burning Phoenix said:
price / performance

CPU's < $200 = AMD
CPU's > $200 = INTEL
hm.. i would put the $$ at 150 not 200.

the 2.4b is where intel starts taking over the price/performance from the lower priced amds.

I'm going back to the IT DOESN'T MATTER viewpoint. Hardware has advanced so much in the past 2 years or so that software hasn't had a chance to catch up with it yet. The only exceptions would be things like image rendering or audio encoding. With gaming, I would venture to say there would be no difference, or if there were, very minimal.

InThrees said:
In all honesty, it really. doesn't. matter.

No, seriously.

/agree

That's why they name the Athlons like 2700+, 2800+, because they perform similarly to the 2.7 Ghz, and 2.8 Ghz P4's.

I totally agree though. The only difference that matters is price and compatability (maybe overclocking methods)....and AMD is cheaper.

Back