• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD will become the world's "number 1" chip-making company

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toastedzergling

AMD BOSS HECTOR RUIZ says AMD is "dead serious" about ousting Intel to become the number one player in the "computational processor market".
"We're not just trying to be a good number two," he said.

Ruiz claimed its "competitor" had done "everything possible" to keep it from competing in new segments of the market but, despite Intel's best efforts, AMD was on course to make significant progress in a number of areas.

In his speech at the Lehman Brothers Semiconductor and Computer Systems 2002 Conference, ahead of his appearance at Comdex tomorrow, Ruiz had first to outline how AMD would move towards "sustainable economic health". He claimed the restructuring the company was currently undergoing was designed to produce "operational flexibility" within the company. Unfortunately, Ruiz echoed a certain Michael Capellas in suggesting the company would turn itself round within 180 days. Before Capellas' 180 days ran out his company - Compaq, you may remember - was snapped up by the old HP.

Ruiz pointed at recent market share figures from IDC which he said showed AMD was sustaining its market share although the data did not include Japan and South America - two areas where he claimed the firm was particularly strong. He said the full data would show that AMD had increased its market share in each of the past three years.

Ruiz claimed AMD had made "huge progress" in the server market in just over a year. He pointed at the Red Storm project with Cray and Sandia as an illustration of the acceptance of AMD chips in significant projects. He said such deal as the supercomputer powered by 10,000 Opterons illustrated the faith potential customers may have in AMD in the server space.

IDC, said Ruiz, was predicting explosive growth in the 32- and 64-bit server space, right where Opteron would land. He said there would be a huge need for the capability of running legacy 32-bit applications on 64-bit platforms, which will give Operton the advantage. He said Opteron would hit "smack right against Xeon" but would deliver 64-bit performance at 32-bit pricing. Ruiz claimed the SPEC performance benchmarks show Operton far and away outperforms its competitor.

"We call Opteron the Xeon-killer," he said.

Ruiz outlined other areas in which AMD would expand its presence to eventually overturn Intel. He said he expected the company's Mirrorbit flash to be adopted by cellphone makers and said the company had already secured a deal with "top three" cell phone maker. He said that China would soon account for some 80 per cent of world wide cellphone production and expected that AMD's Mirrorbit flash chips would appear in more offering from Chinese manufacturers.

He also claimed AMD would achieve greater penetration in the market for mobile processors. He said the company had achieved 13 per cent penetration in the full-size mobile market, which he said was the slowest-growing segment. He said the company would extend this success through to the thin and light sub-segments. He then claimed that having acquired Alchemy earlier in the year the company would push further into the personal communications solutions market (whatever that is).

In terms of manufacturing Ruiz claimed the progression from 130nm processes to 90nm processes would be completed by the second half of 2003 and into volume production by 2004. He said the company was on course to introduce 65nm processes by 2005. ?

From theinquirer

It looks like hammer will be an all or nothing product for AMD:D

Hammer will undoubtedly be a serious competitor to Xeons. But Xeons constitute neither the bulk of chips that Intel sells nor its revenue.

I hope this isn't Ruiz's best answer as how the company will recoup billion-dollar loses year over year and recover from their recent round of layoffs.

and work for pittance.

Hammer is AMD's only ray of hope right now. Flash memory doesn't account for a large segment of their revenue. If Hammer flops like a dead fish (or Itanium), AMD will go under because they no longer have a lot of cash nor do they have many short term holdings.

~THT

OnDborder said:
Plus AMD is building plants in China.
The Chinese people love computers..

Actually AMD's presence in China is pathetic, top Chinese OEMs are all like Dell-Intel only, this is probably due to lack of AMD's marketing effort. On the DIY front, AMD have about 50% of the market, Duron 1.3g sells like hot cakes ($30 each):D

Top Hat Theater said:
and work for pittance.

Hammer is AMD's only ray of hope right now. Flash memory doesn't account for a large segment of their revenue. If Hammer flops like a dead fish (or Itanium), AMD will go under because they no longer have a lot of cash nor do they have many short term holdings.

~THT

amd will never go under, because there has to be two major competitors for a certain field...if intel becomes a monopoly (which they would if amd went under) then there would be mass disruption in the computer enthusiast world, because then intel could charge $900 for a chip, and we wouldnt have any other options...it will never happen, amd is gonna pull through, the barton should help out a bit also..i just cant wait till they come out

OnDborder said:
Plus AMD is building plants in China.
The Chinese people love computers..

I heard in the news that Chinese are making their own processors in order not to let foreign countries hold the "key" during conflict such as war and also for security reasons their government agencies don't use the computers from other countries. They just started a while ago. And now it's almost about the same performance as a PIII 1GHZ. But that's a total different chip design.

As for AMD's big talk:) I think it is possible to do it. As far as I can see in the college I am in, from library to computer labs, all AMD stuff. Probably because of the price I think.

Last edited:
oops said:

I heard in the news that Chinese are making their own processors in order not to let foreign countries hold the "key" during conflict such as war and also for security reasons their government agencies don't use the computers from other countries. They just started a while ago. And now it's almost about the same performance as a PIII 1GHZ. But that's a total different chip design.

The Chinese CPU is for embedded system only, performance wise is only on par with 300MHz PII, if they put it in a PC I think Intel will sue them to death cause there has to be some patent issue.

toastedzergling said:

The Chinese CPU is for embedded system only, performance wise is only on par with 300MHz PII, if they put it in a PC I think Intel will sue them to death cause there has to be some patent issue.

ok, but what I heard was they just started, and they did what Intel did in the last so many years. What will happen if a few years later?

also their government rather order software from chinese software companies than from Microsoft.........Bill Gates and his evil men suck anyway :)

(lol, I just hate that they won't allow me to use one copy of WinXP Pro or OfficeXP Pro on more than one computers after all they charged so much already for such little disks)

Last edited:
Just as a point of interest, neither Intel nor AMD are actually making chips are their Chinese plants. Those plants are mostly so they can get a foothold in China.

I would hope both companies have better sense than to give their design and process technologies to the Chinese govenment. But even if they didn't, the US government would not grant an export license for such things.

NookieN said:

I would hope both companies have better sense than to give their design and process technologies to the Chinese govenment.

Of course they don't, they just produce some of the chips there, they never gave out any technology.

Cautionary Statement
This release contains forward-looking statements, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are generally preceded by words such as "plans," "expects," "believes," "anticipates" or "intends." Investors are cautioned that all forward-looking statements in this release involve risks and uncertainty that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Forward-looking statements in this release include the risk that the company will not achieve its current introduction schedule for the AMD Athlon 64 and/or AMD Opteron processors. We urge investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the Company's filings with the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission.

RangerJoe said:

amd will never go under, because there has to be two major competitors for a certain field...if intel becomes a monopoly (which they would if amd went under) then there would be mass disruption in the computer enthusiast world, because then intel could charge $900 for a chip, and we wouldnt have any other options...it will never happen, amd is gonna pull through, the barton should help out a bit also..i just cant wait till they come out

Precisely. If AMD went out of buisness (or if intel went out of buisness) that would be HORRIBLE for consumers. Not even AMD could resist the temptation of capitalism that would result.

Of course, the government wouldnt care at all about that monopoly. The public has no idea who AMD is, and probably dont know who Intel is (them fentipum compootirs??), so there would be no reason to enact the anti-trust laws in order to divert the public's attention. I'm very cynical, btw.

Anyway, a monopoly by either company would be death to the industry. And no, motorola is not competition. Should AMD go under, I will buy the fastest AMD available, and then use that until it becomes ragged like an old shirt.

Capitalism would take over the surviving company, and force CPU prices sky high. That would be death to the entire industry.

Just voicing my oppinion here.. the winner of the CPU race will without doubt be the company to bring power drastically down in comparison to the competition, not the one to deliver highest speeds or lowest prices.

Just think of how fast power consumption has grown over the lst 5 years, and it wouldn't be too hard to recognise the fact that we're heading towards a barrier, where most people would spend a fortune having the computers running 4-5 hours every day, 365 days a year.

So I'd say, whoever (intel, AMD, or someone else) to bring out, e.g. biological CPU's based on proteins, would be the winners, as your average 5x5 cm solar cell would be able to run them...

Cheers, Flixotide

Hehe... don't forget Cyrix. If intel raised the prices through the roof, Via's C3 would suddenly become a lot more popular.

I would like to see AMD gain more market share, but to be honest I don't want to see any company totally crush the other. I like seeing good competition and low prices. AMD could use more share tho....

Back