• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD xp 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peter p

I've overclocked Intel processors but never an AMD. I've been reading that these processors are unlocked. Is this true?
Is this chip good for overclocking? The FSB is set at 133 now and will it be able to go higher? I know I will probably have to raise the voltage and better cooling. Has anyone had any luck overclocking these chips? The FSB is at 133 x 12, do I increase the multiplier also or just the FSB?

altec

polka dot ninja
It isn't the best for overclocking, and yes the chip is unlocked...all of the t'bred's are, but getting the multipliers depends on if if your chip can read the 8x bit or not.

killer7

I've been reading that these processors are unlocked. Is this true?

Some are some aren't.

Is this chip good for overclocking?

You won't get as good of % OC as you would a 1700+, but it will definately overclock.

The FSB is set at 133 now and will it be able to go higher?

Just like Intel it all depends on RAM, PSU, MOBO, & Cooling, but yes it will go at least some higher even if your stuff is crap. Also, remember Intel's FSB is calculated at 4x what it says in the BIOS. AMD is 2x...so don't think AMD is worse.:)

The FSB is at 133 x 12, do I increase the multiplier also or just the FSB?

Though you will be able to change your multiplier in the BIOS. If it isn't unlocked, it won't "stick". Fore a n00b OC on AMD just increase FSB untill it runs unstable. Then raise Vcore. Repeat. Make sure you get good cooling though, as Vcore increases temps significantly. If you do want to unlock the multiplier there are tutorial all over the place. Hope this helps.

-John-

TUK101

killer7 said:

If you do want to unlock the multiplier there are tutorial all over the place. Hope this helps.

-John-
Please point one or two out then please. I have the same cpu on an Apogee board and it wont allow me to change the multi. Thanks, James