• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD XP3200+ Crashes/Problems. Help anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pei

Registered
AMD XP3200+ Crashes/Problems/Random Reboots. Help anyone?

I'm not really an overclocker but I upgraded my 2400+ to a 3200+ and now I am having alot of crashes, random reboots, especially with CPU stress tests. Programs that have run normally forever and stupid things that shouldn't crash, or have no reason to crash, now crash.

My stats are as follows:

Mainboard: MSI K7N2-Delta
RAM: 3 x 512 Kingston CL3 (Kingston recommended for this board)
Video: RADEON 9800 Pro - 2 displays
PSU: Power Magic 600w
Cards: Soundblaster Live!, Pinnacle PCTV Capture Card, IEEE1394 Card
Bios: Nvidia - 42302e31 Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG, 11/07

Vcore: 1.60 - 1.67 volts (1.63 avg) *EDIT* Changed to 1.600V in the bios to get closest to 1.65V as needed stock voltage for this XP3200+ *
3.3V: 3.30 - 3.39 volts (3.33 avg)
+5V: 5.03 - 5.05 volts (5.03 avg)
+12V: 11.70 - 11.82 (11.76 avg)

CPU Temp: 50-55c (50 idle) (55 load)
Sys Temp 35c

* All readings i got from PC Alert 4 *

These fluctuate at these ranges and i'm wondering if this is ok?

Prime95 also gives me errors and crashes on me.

Any other info needed please let me know. Feel free to contact me email too.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Desktop Bartons such as yours require a stock Vcore of 1.65v. Where did you get those voltage readings? Motherboard Monitor? BIOS? In any case those Vcore readings are a bit low. We could help you some more if you specify your PSU Brand - specs and rating, RAM Brand - specs and timings, Bios Version, Temperature, Cooling, the rest of your components, etc.

Thanks for your reply! I edited the post above, sorry for leaving out that crucial information.

pei said:
I'm not really an overclocker but I upgraded my 2400+ to a 3200+ and now I am having alot of crashes, random reboots, especially with CPU stress tests. Any help from anyone who has experiance with this kind of stuff I would really appreciate it, as the place I bought it from is not offering me much help.

My stats are as follows:

Mainboard: MSI K7N2-Delta
RAM: 3 x 512 Kingston CL3 (Kingston recommended for this board)
Video: RADEON 9800 Pro - 2 displays
PSU: Enermax 600w
Cards: Soundblaster Live!, Pinnacle PCTV Capture Card, IEEE1394 Card
Bios: Nvidia - 42302e31 Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG, 11/07

Vcore: 1.54 - 1.63 volts (1.55 avg)
3.3V: 3.30 - 3.39 volts (3.33 avg)
+5V: 5.03 - 5.05 volts (5.03 avg)
+12V: 11.76 - 11.82 (11.76 avg)

CPU Temp: 50-55c (53 avg)
Sys Temp 35c

* All readings i got from PC Alert 4 *

These fluctuate at these ranges and i'm wondering if this is ok?

Prime95 also gives me errors and crashes on me.

Any other info needed please let me know. Feel free to contact me email too.

Thank you all!

Looks like you got a hefty PSU.
But your temps, are those under load or at idle? If that's idle then that's a little hot. You can check your heatsink and make sure it makes proper contact with your core. It is advisable to use Arctic Silver thermal compound as (TIM) Thermal Interface Material between your core and the heatsink. I assume you're using stock heatsink. One thing you can do after making sure of the above, is to go to your bios and check the Vcore settings there. There could be a chance your mobo is undervolting it so you can raise the Vcore just one little step up. Then run your CPU stress test to see if its stable. But you have to take care of your temps first. If you can bring it down it should be preferably under 50C. Update us and keep yelling if you run into more problems.

what's your exact speed of the memory??? XP3200 runs at FSB400 whereas XP2400 runs at FSB266, make sure your memory is able to handle the bus.

It's 55c under LOAD

I am using Arctic Silver for a TIM, in fact I ordered two new tubes just a few minutes ago, and a Thermaltake Volcano 8.

And yes. my RAM is pc3200 :) I knew i would upgrade to a 3200 someday so I got the 400mhz ram :p

Thanks!

P.S. The PSU I got was just a good deal at the time, and probably is not the best out there, I ordered a fortron source 400w and hopefully that will work.

P.S.S. I will also try setting the voltage in the bios, I think it may be undervolting it :(

Last edited:
I can't get it to work right, it still keeps crashing / rebooting on me, and I tried 1.600 - 1.650 volts and 1.5 - 1.6v agp

Prime95 still won't even do the first test :(

maybe a fault memory or motherboard??? do you have a spare system you can test your parts with???
btw, how does your comp crash? does it just reboots? BSOD? freezes? etc.

programs crash for no reason, and then it just reboots sometimes, prime95 can't finish the first test... when i had the 2400+ processor in it i could have it up for weeks at a time no problem :( could it be my power supply? since it's fluctuating those voltages so much?

When I set the vcore to 1.65 it says 1.68-1.73 with PCAlert

What should I have the AGP voltage set to? Currently it is 1.6, BIOS default is 1.5

P.S. I made a mistake, I have a Power Magic PSU, not a very good brand name i am guessing?

pei said:
programs crash for no reason, and then it just reboots sometimes, prime95 can't finish the first test... when i had the 2400+ processor in it i could have it up for weeks at a time no problem :( could it be my power supply? since it's fluctuating those voltages so much?

When I set the vcore to 1.65 it says 1.68-1.73 with PCAlert

What should I have the AGP voltage set to? Currently it is 1.6, BIOS default is 1.5

P.S. I made a mistake, I have a Power Magic PSU, not a very good brand name i am guessing?
I thought you've tried Forton PSU, that is why I didn't doubt the PSU on your system. Leave the AGP voltage to BIOS default. Check your temp/voltages with MBM5, and try different memory if you have any.
Also, you haven't answered my question whether or not you have another system to test your parts. I would try putting in the XP2400+ if you still have it.

Nah I said I ordered a Fortron PSU, won't arrive for a few days yet. You say I should put the 2400+ back in? What should I look for when I do? ;)

Thanks!
I appreciate all the help!

P.S. Only other system I have is a 1.33 T-bird with PC133 ram, and a 300 or 350watt psu

Some motherboards, especially ones that were released prior to the release of the 3000+ and 3200+ require a bios flash in order to support them. Replacing the cheap power supply with a fortran was a good move. Check all your multiplier, fsb, and memory timing settings. Having pc3200 doesn't automatically make it run at 400DDR. Your 2400+ ran at a slower fsb. Now that you have the replaced the processor with a higher fsb, you need to change it in the bios. Your temperatures do seem a little warm but not hot enough to be causing the problems you are having. I am not familiar with your motherboard, but you need to read up and find out what is the maxium fsb your motherboard manufacturer say it will handle. What I am getting at is it may be a situation like when the the first nforce boards were releaed. Initially, they only supported 266 or 333 (I forgot which), and were unstable beyond that. Later revisions supported 400. Find out what is the maximum fsb your motherboard manuafcturer says it supports and set your fsb to that, provided it doesnt' exceed 400, which is the officlal limit of your processor (cough cough). From there, do a little math to figure out what multiplier setting you should use to get your processor at stock speeds. Stock Speed/FSB=Multiplier If any of this doesn't make any sense or is redundent, it is because I haven't had any coffee yet lol.

Hello, good morning, another day trying to stabalize this computer...

As I said i'm not much of an overclocker so I don't understand setting the Multiplier, does that mean the AGP clock ratio? since I can change that from 66-120 x whatever (from like 7-13 on the cpu ratio...)

My motherboard *does* support FSB400 as it says it does on the box and in the manual. I may need to flash it like you said, and look for a newer update. What I am going to do is pull each module of mem and try to ramtest each one just to make sure it's not one piece that is messing the whole thing up. If I still get errors, I have to just wait for the Fortron PSU i guess...sucks cause it is saturday and it won't even ship until monday. Otherwise I will just put the 2400+ back in until I get the PSU and fan I ordered.

Another thing I wanted to mention. I have another PC, kind of older, it's a 1.33 t-bird with 512mb of pc133, now when I look at the voltages on it with a mobo monitor, they NEVER fluctuate, they are straight all the way across the board... but this PC, with the crappy "Power Magic" PSU i picked up, all the voltages fluctuate, could this be the (part) of the problem?

as I said a few times, did you try putting in the XP2400???
also as someone had suggested, you need to setup the bios right in order to run the system stable. try looking into the manual or the stickies here for help.
also, NEVER change AGP frequency above 67, it'll just create problems with no gain.

I've been doing exhastive testing of the memory and it seems to error at 400, so I clocked it down to a 6:5 ratio (166 x 2) and it works at 333 it seems...

Maybe was a ram problem all along, running prime95 now and it seems to be able to at least complete the preliminary tests. (which couldn't before) so i'm optimistic now...

Ok, I have been running Prime95 torture testing all last night and today and it seems to be stable as hell. I guess my ram just can't run at 400!

Thank you all for your help as I probably would not have narrowed the problem down without you all.

Peace.

Back