• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD XP3200+ Crashes/Problems. Help anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nessacary to overclock a 3200+ ?

I never thought of that, do you think it is a RAM problem then? When i tested them, one 512 stick made it ok at 400 for 6 memory passes, the other two did not, they had errors on like tests 5 and 6 on each pass.

I am thinking it could be my PSU still though, and hopefully the fortron source will ship tomorrow. I also ordered some new cooling for my system, because I would like to learn to overclock.

Is it even nessacary to overclock a 3200+ I mean would I get any more performance out of it (as i do cap and encode tv to xvid, it is nice to have all the speed i can) but at what cost? If anyone has good "newbie" overclocking faqs or docs please post them.

pei said:
I never thought of that, do you think it is a RAM problem then? When i tested them, one 512 stick made it ok at 400 for 6 memory passes, the other two did not, they had errors on like tests 5 and 6 on each pass.

I am thinking it could be my PSU still though, and hopefully the fortron source will ship tomorrow. I also ordered some new cooling for my system, because I would like to learn to overclock.

Is it even nessacary to overclock a 3200+ I mean would I get any more performance out of it (as i do cap and encode tv to xvid, it is nice to have all the speed i can) but at what cost? If anyone has good "newbie" overclocking faqs or docs please post them.

I suggest you keep the 3200+ at stock, as the chip and your memory doesn't have too much to go anyways (3 dimms are VERY hard to oc). Well, on the issue with the memory, why would one memory pass and the other two doesn't when PSU is the problem? Since one RAM works for you, I'll just RMA the two that fails and go 512k while you wait for RMA.

well... with that 3200+ you'll get some really good speed, but it's nowhere near top of the line right now. the new LGA pentiums and the Athlon 64 chips will crank out more power than any Athlon XP. i'm not a fan of intel's architecture, but the new P4 processors are doing some damage. so if you want to milk every last clock stroke per second out of that chip, then feel free to overclock it. and the best part: overclocking is just fun! you can push the limits and see how high you can make it go, see what the performance gains are, and a lot more. it's slightly useful but mostly just something that we love to do.

so if you start overclocking, then enjoy it. it's great fun.

Get everything running stable in your system and learn it's quirks. Run a bunch of stress tests and various benchmarks with everything at stock. This will give you a chance to eliminate the unknown of "is it a bad component or am I overclocking too much." It will also give you something to meausure performance increases gained by overclocking. For example, if you overclock immediately and get 2500 in 3D Mark05, that doesn't tell you anything unless you know what the score was at stock speed. Overclocking is a fun interesting hobby similar to hot rodding a car. It probably yields very little in terms of day to day usefulness. It also becomes somewhat self defeating in the fact that if you have to spend a lot of money on extravagant cooling to achieve the gain that can be provided by a modest different in price to the next faster cpu or video card. That doesn't mean it isn't fun and educational. Back to my original thought though. Get a good stable rock solid system up and running for a while before overclocking.

Thank you all for your input. I do believe I will test those other DIMMs again and possibly do RMA like byagi recommends....
Also kind of wondering why the memory works flawlessly at 333 but not at 400 if they are bad modules.

Last edited:
BTW did anyone have any recommended reading for beginner overclocking? Things to test with / what to look out for / etc? Thanks!

Ok, I did my first overclocking.... 210 x 11 = 2.31 ghz :| Ran memtest and prime95, temps looking good. w00t.

Memory is running at DDR350 ..

oh... one thing that might be the problem with the memory running at DDR400 is that it's an nvidia chipset with 3 DIMM slots. that means it's a dual-channel system. running in dual-channel, it will work with all 3 slots filled, but will run best and fastest with just the two slots for the channel filled.

so try running it with just 2 sticks in dual-channel, at DDR400. see how that goes. if i'm wrong, i'm wrong. i use the VIA chipset, so i don't know much about it. i'm just saying it's a chance that you should check on.

hey hafa, looks like we have the same board....

how do you mean slacken the timings? raise them up in the bios? atm they are at 8 and 3 and 3 i think

thanks for the tip seven, will suck if i have to get rid of 512mb, but i suppose i could just use it in another PC when i get another board...

as it kind of is right now i can either have 350mhz ram with 1536mb or try the 1024mb at 400mhz.... hmmm =) =) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Too bad they don't make 768mb modules :p

pei said:
hey hafa, looks like we have the same board....

Hi Pei

The MSI is a good stable board, but not without its quirks. The limitation on the CPU voltage and its bizarre propensity to require the bios to be cleared approximately 80% of the time the agp or any of the pci cards are removed count among my pet peeves.

pei said:
how do you mean slacken the timings? raise them up in the bios? atm they are at 8 and 3 and 3 i think

Correct. Try them at perhaps 8,4,4,4 and see if this allows you to run a 200 mhz fsb. If so, then try tightening them to 7,4,4,4 and see if you're still stable. You could then continue to tighten up until you lose stablility and then slacken back off a notch. I'd suggest running a memory bench initially and then after each timing adjustment to see its effects.

BTW, Seven is right on the money on this; the MSI boards particularly don't like memory in the third slot...

Ugh, third slot meaning the green slot on the end? That's the dual-channel support slot right? If i don't have mem in the first, and third slot i believe it only works single-channel :| (well, i could be wrong on this)

I think ima reboot now and play with it some more.

pei said:
Ugh, third slot meaning the purple (or green i may be wrong on this) slot on the end? That's the dual-channel support slot right? If i don't have mem in the first, and third slot i believe it only works single-channel :| (again i could be wrong on this)

I think ima reboot now and play with it some more.

Basically correct on all counts, especially rebooting and playing around...
:bday:

You should also be able to run the mem on the 2nd and 3rd slots and have dual-channel as well. You may wish to try this configuration out just for S&G...

Seems I could run with 1gb at 400 for awhile, memtest passed ok, but I was playing simcity 4 and it rebooted (lost my city heeh).

I'm gonna mess with it more but i'm starting to think it might just be easier to buy some Corsair and call it good.

Back