• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMDs and heat...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Hello, this situation scared me a lot. My other computer has an AMD 2000+ oc'ed to 2800+ and this thing runs about 43C Idle and stuff. But, one day, since this computer wasn't cable managed, a molex connector stopped the CPU fan and my poor AMD went up to 72C idle. What really made me mad, was the fact I had a Thermaltake Volcano 12 on it. Is this a dangerous temp?

Sjaak

if you get there on time, it will not hurt your CPU. 72 is very high, but AMD's thermal spec is 99 max.

Your CPU wont die too fast on it, but some motherboard components in proximity are much more sensitive.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
Sjaak said:
if you get there on time, it will not hurt your CPU. 72 is very high, but AMD's thermal spec is 99 max.

Your CPU wont die too fast on it, but some motherboard components in proximity are much more sensitive.

AMD's thermal spec is 85C maximum, measured top dead center on the die, not from the socket. If it still runs, you're okay, but you shouldn't try to run any modern CPU without active cooling :mad:

Sjaak

Captain Newbie said:
AMD's thermal spec is 85C maximum, measured top dead center on the die, not from the socket.

burn baby, burn, :burn:

where did i got that 99 deg from? hmz, maybe the older athlons or so. P4 was 69 AFAIK.

Drec

ewww 72 close call...how long you think it was that hot for?

CPL.Luke

just aword on passive cooling I did see an article in pc modder where they managed to passive cool a modern cpu ( had like a 60c temp) but it was manageable

MisterEd

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Hello, this situation scared me a lot. My other computer has an AMD 2000+ oc'ed to 2800+ and this thing runs about 43C Idle and stuff. But, one day, since this computer wasn't cable managed, a molex connector stopped the CPU fan and my poor AMD went up to 72C idle. What really made me mad, was the fact I had a Thermaltake Volcano 12 on it. Is this a dangerous temp?
One time my Windows XP system became unstable and crashed. After booting it would not even go into Windows. The CPU temperature in BIOS showed 78C. This at least showed 78C is not stable. Even if 72C is stable for you then it may shorten your system life. Do you really want to take the chance?

OP
X

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Well, It was at 72 for about 20 min, wasn't that long. I was in the kitchen I hear this clink clink clink and didn't think much of it. Then when I was done eating, it bios it said it was at 71C. That is why I cable managed it as soon as that happened.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
Sjaak said:
burn baby, burn, :burn:

where did i got that 99 deg from? hmz, maybe the older athlons or so. P4 was 69 AFAIK.

Athlon Thunderbirds (B and C) have a TDC die rating of not more than 90C if I remember the table correctly.

My speculation, based on blood, sweat, tears, my wallet, and burned silicon, is that sudden and instantaneous thermal failure ("localized failure" which leads to total failure) will happen if 100C is exceeded on any part of the CPU die and if the CPU is run above 85C for a matter of minutes gradual thermal failure will occur. (My 2500 died for this :( but at least it gave me a good idea of just what happens and how; and NO, I didn't kill it intentionally.)

These figures all assume default VCore - 1.65V. As VCore increases, the maximum allowable temperature decreases drastically.

Rainz3

Registered
Just to chime in on my 2 cents. I had a athlon 1400+ before this one at I didnt put the heatsink on properly(newbie problem) and it got up to 82c before it finnaly stopped posting. When the airconditioning went out in my house over a summer my 1700 would get up to 60c and run sluggish but thats it. We finnaly got a window unit and guess were my comp sat? You guessed it. Was cruisen at 21c all summer :) :)