• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's big breakthrough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
People haven't needed to post specific threads because the are in every other post we have about then when Overclocked .
This is ocfourms after all
Off the top of my head
Low OC headroom (no OC head room on top their CPUs)
Low ram speed hurting Infinity fabric speeds
Boards bricking
Temp offset
65w parts somehow pulling more or same from the wall as 95w parts
Nvidia driver's on ryzen.
Low IPC even vs 5+ year old Intel chips
Bad ram support
Can't change secondary timings
Lower PCI lanes
Botched and delayed mounting for most coolers
Low 1080p fps (most ppl still use 1080p)
No motherboards available
Not a full product stack at launch
Cold bug

That's all I can think of in this early morning fog of someone who doesn't doesn't​ even own the product.

Wow that's an impressive list!! Looks spot on.

Low OC headroom on top chips.... nothing new
Low Ram speeds hurting Infinity fabric speeds.... Not sure who really cares (if we talk average people)
Boards Bricking.... Not AMD's fault bios writters release **** before good testing
Temp Offset.... Again nothing new here
65W parts pulling more or the same from the wall...... The wall identifies entire system wattage not just cpu
NV Drivers on Ryzen...... Nothing new with driver support. (waits for updates)
Lower IPC than 5+ year old chips...... (would ask for proof, but would the evidence make a "average user" aware?)
Lower PCI lanes...... Meh, most "average users" don't even know what a PCI lane is.
Can't change secondary timings....... Most "average" overclockers don't even touch these and experimenting users usually brick their OS from this anyways.
Botched Cooler mounting for old *** coolers....... Buy a new cooler or use the one supplied.... see above no OC headroom on top chips.
Low 1080P fps...... Eyes usually can't see past 30 fps (the typical argument) While AMD focused on higher resolution game play as seen in demos.
No motherboards available....... Well the statement is false. There isn't a large variety of motherboards available.
Not a full production stack at stock........ Never has this happened before. Always release top CPU and other lower end parts later. Don't make money selling low end parts at release.
Cold Bug....... SHEEEET?! Dealt with this so many times with AMD, it's not funny. BUT it's not really a cold bug, it's the nature of 14nm FinFet. These chips post in the cold. Already seen LN runs.....

But there's always goods and bads. I'm not going to argue that point.

About the gaming...... It seems to be very comparable to my i5 4690K. It's a nice increase in AMD performance if we compare to past AMD chips. This is where the "Breakthrough" comes to play. Where we try and concentrate on the positive and good things vs staring at low memory speeds and memory support. I however did not encounter most of the list above. Posted right up. Installed OS. Used stock cooler and runs pretty darn cool. No real need to overclock honestly. If we concentrate on average users, most have OEM setups. Everything in the list above becomes null. I'm the only one person in my entire family that overclocks. My 16 year old cares less. His laptop boots and runs and never seen a bios update. However the Bluescreens after memory swap on Intel laptop caused bluescreens..... that damn memory support BS factor. Oh wait..... we are aiming at AMD here. Ooops.

But there's always goods and bads. I'm not going to argue that point.

About the gaming...... It seems to be very comparable to my i5 4690K. It's a nice increase in AMD performance if we compare to past AMD chips. This is where the "Breakthrough" comes to play. Where we try and concentrate on the positive and good things vs staring at low memory speeds and memory support. I however did not encounter most of the list above. Posted right up. Installed OS. Used stock cooler and runs pretty darn cool. No real need to overclock honestly. If we concentrate on average users, most have OEM setups. Everything in the list above becomes null. I'm the only one person in my entire family that overclocks. My 16 year old cares less. His laptop boots and runs and never seen a bios update. However the Bluescreens after memory swap on Intel laptop caused bluescreens..... that damn memory support BS factor. Oh wait..... we are aiming at AMD here. Ooops.

I'm with you shrimpy, it's a great upgrade from my FX8320E @4.5ghz. Well worth the money. Booted at stock no problems, as well with the Wraith Spire :D

I'm with you shrimpy, it's a great upgrade from my FX8320E @4.5ghz. Well worth the money. Booted at stock no problems, as well with the Wraith Spire :D

I don't know if those were/are real clockers or not?...so I got like 3 fans on the 240 rad and passed a cb 790 at 4998 at like 1.57v 61c it hit not bad man that's pretty stable considering how warm it is and ambients man you missed out telling ya it's monster for that.

I don't know if those were/are real clockers or not?...so I got like 3 fans on the 240 rad and passed a cb 790 at 4998 at like 1.57v 61c it hit not bad man that's pretty stable considering how warm it is and ambients man you missed out telling ya it's monster for that.
I am not missing the heat in my non air-conditioned house as it warms up I can tell you that.... [emoji14]

Had some fun with RamDisk and multiple virtual servers. All kinds of operating systems installed. Slaps down overclocks without any user intervention.

Wanna know something I'm discovering? The predictive awareness of the processor seems to be very real. The apps I use the most seemingly start up faster and faster. It's weird and no evidence in which to share this experience, but over time and normal daily usage, it's getting faster! I cannot explain this in any better detail. Like just using the web browser for example. Since installed, it's smoother and opens faster since the first few days of use.

Some people just insist on recommending 4 core chips. I mean hey, if you like seeing 90 percent CPU usage, with no headroom for the future, go for it. Or spend 1000 dollars. What about x99 when it was first released? That wasn't all rainbows and unicorns either.

It's a huge breakthrough from where I'm sitting. here in Australia Intel B250 and AMD B350 boards are on par for price. Features are about the same. But when it comes to CPUs........

Ryzen 1400 +Cooler $245 AUD
i3 7350K No Cooler $245 AUD

Ryzen 1600 +Cooler $319
i5 7600K No Cooler $325

Ryzen 1700 +Cooler $445
i7 7700K No Cooler $469

After seeing the frame times of the i5 there is no frakin way I would pick intel for a friend I cared about, if it was for a random and just a set and forget job then yeah I'd pick intel but only cos it's new tech with expected quirks.

If they can keep this bang for buck going into Zen+ I'm sold and will always suggest to buy AMD to the people I know and build for.

Seriously people are saying that these aren't a great breakthrough need to think about this............you are just a guinea pig, AMD and I thank you, but you didn't have to make the sacrifice. It's really smart releasing this enthusiast line first......to get rid of the kinks.

Once they fix things and get those APUs into laptops, AIO's etc then they will make back cash and market share. here's a great review for anyone that is doubting the tech. It's not all about max frames.

Again thanks for being Guinea pigs I was going to jump on a Ryzen 1600 but I don't even have the time to game or play with my computer at the moment so will wait for Zen+ and reap the rewards of everyone's hard work. Thank you all.

For high end gaming, it's hard to argue with the i7 7700K OC'ed to 4.8+ GHz. I don't see the i5 7600K as looking that great as an alternative. I'd rather go up to the i7 for the larger cache and SMT, or I'd rather have the two extra cores and SMT on the 1600/X, even giving up a little bit of frequency. Once you drop down to the lower, locked i5s, most of the frequency upside of Intel goes away, so I'd take the cheaper R5 alternative with SMT. I can see people making the opposite decision, but I don't think it's hard to make a case for the Ryzen R5 series.

It's a no brainer. The i5s (yes I own one) are craptacular to buy right now over a 1600. Sure buy a 7700K.

Then when the Zen+ drops and you want more threads get ready to buy a whole new mobo. Wait AM4 boards of now will probably support the next gen Ryzen CPUs. So much to like about AM4 (gulp other than a number of issues)

Again guys hope you can see the great side to this new tech even after a bad experience as a furry little guinea.

1. Even though processors are good then whole platform is far from reliable and it's hard to recommend it for more professional work.

2. Nice that enthusiasts buy them but it's low % of the market and so far it's not changing anything.

3. Efficiency of Ryzen at lower voltage is great but again most users expect higher frequency and then Ryzen is not as efficient and it hits a wall at ~4GHz regardless of chip.

4. What all are reading in most reviews and tests is far from real daily work so you can't really say if Ryzen is good when you can't work on this platform.

5. My experience is like this:
- good CPU with high potential and possible future improvements
- I was expecting lower price ( local price wasn't really low even comparing to some Intel chips )
- most motherboards are garbage
- problems with full stability in typical environment, average user can't make it work good
can find some more

6. I just feel like I purchased beta product which I'm testing now. I know that AMD needs money as they have constant issues with budget but they were delaying this product for long months and later released unfinished platform which has potential but in like half year+ or in next generation, not now.

1. It's been 6 weeks and it's not stable enough to suggest for work platforms, obviously.

2. It's been 6 weeks, APUs aren't even out.

3. A 1700X 8C/16T 3.9Ghz the voltage is about the same as Kaby lake 4C/8T 5Ghz.

4. 6 weeks.

5. It's a pity about these mobo problems, but new tech is new tech. prices are great. Not every country or person in the US uses microcenter.

6. That's exactly what you are doing, and I thank you. Did I mention it's only been 6 weeks?

Last edited:
Wow that's an impressive list!! Looks spot on.

Low OC headroom on top chips.... nothing new
Low Ram speeds hurting Infinity fabric speeds.... Not sure who really cares (if we talk average people)
Boards Bricking.... Not AMD's fault bios writters release **** before good testing
Temp Offset.... Again nothing new here
65W parts pulling more or the same from the wall...... The wall identifies entire system wattage not just cpu
NV Drivers on Ryzen...... Nothing new with driver support. (waits for updates)
Lower IPC than 5+ year old chips...... (would ask for proof, but would the evidence make a "average user" aware?)
Lower PCI lanes...... Meh, most "average users" don't even know what a PCI lane is.
Can't change secondary timings....... Most "average" overclockers don't even touch these and experimenting users usually brick their OS from this anyways.
Botched Cooler mounting for old *** coolers....... Buy a new cooler or use the one supplied.... see above no OC headroom on top chips.
Low 1080P fps...... Eyes usually can't see past 30 fps (the typical argument) While AMD focused on higher resolution game play as seen in demos.
No motherboards available....... Well the statement is false. There isn't a large variety of motherboards available.
Not a full production stack at stock........ Never has this happened before. Always release top CPU and other lower end parts later. Don't make money selling low end parts at release.
Cold Bug....... SHEEEET?! Dealt with this so many times with AMD, it's not funny. BUT it's not really a cold bug, it's the nature of 14nm FinFet. These chips post in the cold. Already seen LN runs.....

You honestly dont see a problem here?

Skylake had memory issues, if I remember correctly, Intel has been behind AMD in PCIe lanes for a long time and the argument was "PCIe 3.0 vs. PCIe 2.0" Is the speed difference between 3.0 and 2.0 no longer a valid argument just because AMD is now PCIe 3.0? And "cold bug?" Huh??? 5.9 GHz on LN2 taking the record for 6c/12t away from the 5820k is a cold bug? And our very own Johan45 has seen 5.1 GHz on LN2. Considering the wall the Intel chips hit a few years ago Ryzen is yuge for AMD. I'm voting for "Breakthrough". I think the pain has just begun for Intel.

And some interesting Ryzen memory discussion going on here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ng-problems-with-higher-RAM-frequencies/page2

Last edited:
5.2 on LN2 with 1700x. But I agree this is a big step ahead for AMD

A big fat NO PROBLEM here. or there. or anywhere. I do not eat green eggs and ham.

However, looking at your sig..... any new Ryzen chip is going to clobber your current setup.

In fact you are currently using the AsRock motherboard that had memory channel issues. I know because I had that exact board. Would only run memory in two slots.

Past FX boards such as the Sabortooth had what? 2 or 3 or 4 revisions, each with a different problem or issue.

The problem lies with people EXPECTING a perfect system. However this entire forum is riddled with issues from every single platform available and doesn't matter in what way. Could be memory, yea. Could be HDD issues, dropped USB ports. Maybe my Tri-Fire isn't working properly. You name an issue, it was with every single platform BEFORE RyZen release. So why all HellBent on a few bugs here and there with Bios or memory speeds.

A big fat NO PROBLEM here. or there. or anywhere. I do not eat green eggs and ham.

However, looking at your sig..... any new Ryzen chip is going to clobber your current setup.

In fact you are currently using the AsRock motherboard that had memory channel issues. I know because I had that exact board. Would only run memory in two slots.

Past FX boards such as the Sabortooth had what? 2 or 3 or 4 revisions, each with a different problem or issue.

The problem lies with people EXPECTING a perfect system. However this entire forum is riddled with issues from every single platform available and doesn't matter in what way. Could be memory, yea. Could be HDD issues, dropped USB ports. Maybe my Tri-Fire isn't working properly. You name an issue, it was with every single platform BEFORE RyZen release. So why all HellBent on a few bugs here and there with Bios or memory speeds.
Buuuuut it's supposed to kill Intel! That means no problems! Evar!

I'm with you shrimp. This is a huge step up from AMD. As an AMD lover, I have run ONLY AMD desktop CPUs since my Athlon XP. If Ryzen is the diet Coke of Intel, I can understand why people moved away from AMD during the FX days. Very happy with the performance out of the box on my 1700. Super happy at the 'free' boost by bumping my base clocks from 3.0ghz to 3.7ghz. I now have better performance than I used to with my FX 8320 @4.5ghz, with double the threads. Where is the problem with that, I don't know...

like i said way back at post 2, this is the first amd chip i can recommend since the Athlon xp and Opteron days over Intel.

Will it "kill"Intel?

Did amd die As it fought the i series?

No, it won't kill Intel. but you can bet it has their palms sweating.

competition brings innovation, and we as consumers will reap the benefits.

Will it "kill"Intel?

No, it won't kill Intel. but you can bet it has their palms sweating.

competition brings innovation, and we as consumers will reap the benefits.

+1

Ryzen was never supposed to kill Intel, but to do what AMD has always done, offer cheaper competition :)

Last edited:
I mean, its a big breakthrough...they are finally in the ballpark with IPC. They offer more cores, but on average, slightly less IPC. When the quad core parts are out, only then is there competition against kaby lake, imo. only then is it "50%/33%" cheaper. Otherwise, upon release, it was more cores when most peoppe cant even use more than 8t. Its been years, think q6600 days, weve been saying more cores are needed yadayada.. and still a quad with ht is plenty. The bad part about these chips is their inability to overcpock past xfr...which i call not overclocking at all (by clockspeed)..

So, competitin is great, but the real competition amd 'deals' will be with their quad and smt. Not the octo amd decas.

I mean, its a big breakthrough...they are finally in the ballpark with IPC. They offer more cores, but on average, slightly less IPC. When the quad core parts are out, only then is there competition against kaby lake, imo. only then is it "50%/33%" cheaper. Otherwise, upon release, it was more cores when most peoppe cant even use more than 8t. Its been years, think q6600 days, weve been saying more cores are needed yadayada.. and still a quad with ht is plenty. The bad part about these chips is their inability to overcpock past xfr...which i call not overclocking at all (by clockspeed)..

So, competitin is great, but the real competition amd 'deals' will be with their quad and smt. Not the octo amd decas.
You mean like this one ED?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-113-436

Or are you talking about the 4c/4t ones?

I would assume the 4c/8t since it's almost half the price of the 7700k.
I'm really curious to see the new APUs performance myself. If they can gain clockspeed without having the extra CCX that's be very interesting. 4c/4t at 4.5-4.6 it would be serious competition even single thread and Intel has always has lagged with the iGPU.

EDIT: I meant 8 thread

Last edited:
I would assume the 4c/4t since it's almost half the price of the 7700k.
I'm really curious to see the new APUs performance myself. If they can gain clockspeed without having the extra CCX that's be very interesting. 4c/4t at 4.5-4.6 it would be serious competition even single thread and Intel has always has lagged with the iGPU.
I'm interested in this as well.

Back