• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's roadmap???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigfoot

Can anyone point me towards AMD's roadmap, I swear I saw one before on their web sight but i must have gone bling because i cant find the dang thing.

Plus could anyone explain the different new procesors for me, the ones like the Thourbred, sledghammen, and the others, I want to know things like if they support SMP, 64bit processing, Bus speed, etc.

Last edited:

OKCFUNKY

not precise sure onthis but hammers on 166mhz... sledge is for 2-8way proc, clawhammer is for dual, tbread is .13mic palomoni(not sure but tbread is replacin xp's), sledgehammer is most likely 64bit, and clawhammer is possibly x86-64 backward compatibile with 32bit

OP
bigfoot

bigfoot

Thanks, do you have an idea of the order these procesors are being released, from what I remember, it should be the .13 palomoni, then the new core that will be used in the hammers. Can anyone confirm this?

AntiHeiss

OKCFUNKY said:
not precise sure onthis but hammers on 166mhz... sledge is for 2-8way proc, clawhammer is for dual, tbread is .13mic palomoni(not sure but tbread is replacin xp's), sledgehammer is most likely 64bit, and clawhammer is possibly x86-64 backward compatibile with 32bit

The Clawhammers are not for dual. They can be used for dual applications, but that is where the Sledgehammer comes in. I have no idea if anyone has picked up the idea to run a Clawhammer in a dual situation...mobo wise. They are all .13micron and incorporate SOI. The T-breds don't exactly replace the XP's as they ARE XP's. The T-breds aren't palomino cores either....not exactly anyway. The Bartons are just bridges between the T-bred's and the Clawhammer's. The Clawhammer is x86-64bit compatible, and the Sledgehammer is also. The Sledgehammer is for server applications and isn't really even the same processor as the Clawhammer.

]-[itman

The SOI was origninally intended to be introduced with the Barton's but they may not appear at all so the hammer's may be the first to use it. The T-breds are socket A but the Hammer's aren't. The T-breds through the Hammer's are going to be .13 and then they're coming with a .09 hammer. The Clawhammer's are actually SMP, I believe they can either be used as dual or quad, I'm not sure. The Sledgehammer will have an 8 way configuration though. They Clawhammer is intended to be a low server/high desktop performance chip. The sledgehammer will be strictly for the mid to high end servers. I don't know what speed they'll run at bus wise, because their suppose to be using a new bus called hypertransporting, so it looks like fsb as we know it will be no more. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Slayn

I have an Athlon 1000 right now, should I just wait for the clawhammers to come out? When do you guys think that will be?

OKCFUNKY

do you plan on much tweaking? from what ive heard hypertransport takes control of fsb, mem, multi? so if im correct, tweaking will be onchip and inaccesible, possibly the fsb will off chip and available to tweak. or you can go witha tbread...
sorry for redundancy, see post above by hitman

]-[itman

Well I believe overclocking as we know it won't be available. I doubt the multi's will be available to oc'ers with the hammers :( but I'm sure there will be a way. The memory controller will be on chip but the hyp(I'll use this for hypertransporting so i don't have to write it out each time ;))) will most likely be controlled by the motherboard. If not, then there's still the hope of something like softFSB only for the hammer. In an article they said something about the memory frequency will increase as the hyp and cpu frequency increase(I'm not sure what it was exactly but I'll look it up and post it), so there's a glimmer of hope that oc'ing will still be a very open option for us. Right now all we can do is hope.....

OP
bigfoot

bigfoot

Thanx for all the help. The only questions left are about this hypertransport technology, I guess all we can do now is hope.
Does anyone know for shure if this hypertransport thchnology is suposed to replace the FSB or if it's just another thing like the memory controler and is only based on on the FSB speed.

]-[itman

Well according to the article, hypertransporting was being used to communicate with the AGP, PCI, etc. which basically the fsb does. It may be based on or around fsb, but i believe it is replacing it. It will have a mhz rating though, which I believe to be 166. I believe they are just basically taking the fsb and improving upon it.