• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMDzone gives Intel's i5/i7 no love!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think that's about right, the high end toyota will almost certainly last longer and cost less during ownership then the low end mercedes :D

@DVL, I think I'm rather ignorant when it comes to this thing. May I know what's so illogical/preposterous about comparing a high end Toyota (A.K.A Lexus in some countries) to a low end Mercedes which cost the same?

When I was running my AMD system (up to last week) I went there and I still thought it was WAY to biased. There are a few server applications where a Phenom II cpu is faster than an intel, but that is about it. What I liked about my AMD system is that it ran cooler and was cheaper and gave me enough performance for my needs,

They key word here is n-force , it's nvidia , there were plenty of intel boards that were dying for same reason , they had crappy Nvidia chipsets

AMD did not make their own boards at the time, well they might have, just not enthusiast class boards. As for the Intel side of the NV thing, I cant comment since I did not spend any time in the Intel section :beer:

They were decent when they worked, I had alot of fun with em :D

This just in! Fanboys often have St00pid!

AMD fanboys, Intel fanboys, ATI fanboys, Nvidia fanboys, they are all shortsighted and funny to read :p

I am a fanboy :(

I almost left nvidia after suffereing deaths of a 285, and 295 :D

To be honest I used smack talk ATI stuff alot, but now that I have one, they really arent so bad..

And I shouldnt really smack talk AMD, because they are ok, really :)

:sly:

Yeah you were almost as bad with nVidia as another person on this site LOL

But I forgive you :) You have been running nVidia since what your Radeon 9800?

I've always been a big AMD fan, partly because they inhabit the same market segment i do (cheap, heh), but i try not to let that get in the way of reality :D

AMD fansboys still at on the Turbo Boost feature they think doesn't work and it's not true.

They have said the turbo boost technology is a gimmick! Will these people ever learn?

"by abinstein on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm
@kaa: I appreciate your recent posts (for some good laughs at least) but you are still wrong. Turbo mode still comes with no guarantee. And, when turbo mode engages, a Nehalem core can still either in deep sleep or in max frequency."

i literally cant even read this. i, done a page 3, when some one got banned for saying 'smoothness' isnt measurable.

there comparing a semi low end intel cpu to AMD's top of the line extreme edition. how about we compare intel's top of the line, and phase cool em.

can use say DOMINATION?

The low end Intel stuff isn't out yet, they're comparing intels mid range to the similarly priced AMD top range.
It's not about (or shouldn't be, at least) what part of the manufacturer's range it's in, it's about performance/dollar.
Otherwise it's like comparing a ferrari 360 (their cheapest model) to a geo metro, both are the low end cars. One, however, goes a hell of a lot faster and costs a hell of a lot more.

By Intel fanboys, do you mean reasonable, logical and rational consumers because I simply buy the superior product.
No, I mean people that ignore reason, logic, and rational thought in favor of their prefered brand. Generally they're the same people that say all AMD cpus are terrible because AMD's $200 cpu doesn't compete with Intel's $288 cpu.

Never trust or believe what you read on the internet (AMDzone)!!!

My little mid range i5 overclocks great like its suppose to. Don't believe what I say. It's all a gimmick.

Yeah you were almost as bad with nVidia as another person on this site LOL

But I forgive you :) You have been running nVidia since what your Radeon 9800?

LOL wow was I really that bad?! I knew who you meant right away too lol :rolleyes:

Dam. Sorry fellas :)

Yeah Ive been with em since my 9600xt, wich is still one of the best ocing cards that I have had if you can believe it.. Same with my 4890, but shhhh ;)

AMD fansboys still at on the Turbo Boost feature they think doesn't work and it's not true.

I remember when the I5 reviews came out one guy invaded Anandtech that this is overlocking and should be disabled because it is unfair to bench ocd cpus against amd's stock cpus. I wasn't aware they are still at it, maybe by the time AMD cpus have this feature they will come to accept it. ;)

LOL wow was I really that bad?! I knew who you meant right away too lol :rolleyes:

Dam. Sorry fellas :)

Yeah Ive been with em since my 9600xt, which is still one of the best ocing cards that I have had if you can believe it.. Same with my 4890, but shhhh ;)

Heh heh no you were not that bad, just when we both had some :beer: and were smack talking :)

What's that saying "it only hurts if its true"? nVidia has definitely held the performance crown for a long time, although it was not because of better HW design IMHO, but better SW implementation.

Back OT...

I did not read the whole thread (at AMDZone) so I missed the fanboy talk, but in this thread, I do not see AMD implementing the Turbo feature, it is a marketing gimmick thats all. If AMD started selling their Extreme edition processors at $1000 a pop, than yes a turbo feature on the non-BE chips would be nice. Otherwise it is not really necessary.

For AMD spend the extra $20-30 get the multi unlocked version of the CPU you want.

I have not tried P55 yet, but that "smoothness" they talk about, I always referred to "quickness" of the AMD platform, any one that has had core2, phenom arch sitting side by side will know exactly what I am talking about. I can only assume it a memory latency thing. X58 totally has it though :) It really is a great arch :)

Last edited:
Heh heh no you were not that bad, just when we both had some :beer: and were smack talking :)

What's that saying "it only hurts if its true"? nVidia has definitely held the performance crown for a long time, although it was not because of better HW design IMHO, but better SW implementation.

Back OT...

I did not read the whole thread (at AMDZone) so I missed the fanboy talk, but in this thread, I do not see AMD implementing the Turbo feature, it is a marketing gimmick thats all. If AMD started selling their Extreme edition processors at $1000 a pop, than yes a turbo feature on the non-BE chips would be nice. Otherwise it is not really necessary.

For AMD spend the extra $20-30 get the multi unlocked version of the CPU you want.

I have not tried P55 yet, but that "smoothness" they talk about, I always referred to "quickness" of the AMD platform, any one that has had core2, phenom arch sitting side by side will know exactly what I am talking about. I can only assume it a memory latency thing. X58 totally has it though :) It really is a great arch :)

I upgraded from Q6600 to i5 750 and I have no idea what smoothness you're talking about. For me there is no visible difference in normal desktop usage. And in games, it's minimal, clock for clock. The only part that the i5 750 shines in is the overclocking... I'm not a hardcore overclocker by any means and I got my i5 to 4GHz easily, compared to 3GHz on the Q6600... And that was pushing it.

But maybe it's a X58 thing? :rolleyes:

Smoothness? Yeah, right.

Back