• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

American Horror Story - Antec Kuhler h2o

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctag

Antec Kuhler H2O Clogged

Hi :)

I'm surprised there isn't a subforum for "nope" computer dust, etc.

Yesterday I started folding again after a three week hiatus. No big deal, my CPUs been at its current clock for the better part of eight months without flinching. So I left to check on my roommate in our common room.

Ten minutes later I'm back, and just for kicks open up [OpenHardwareMonitor] to check on the temps.

My CPU is at 90 Degrees. NINETY DEGREES CELSIUS. Almost boiling point. I reach over to feel the back of my water-loop's radiator to see if the air is hot enough to confirm the temperature reading, and scald myself -_-

Fast forward two hours. I've taken the water block off of the cpu and cleaned the thermal grease off. Even an hour later I can feel that one of the liquid tubes is crazy hot and the other is lukewarm. Something's blocking the water from getting through the radiator. I really don't want to take this thing apart, because I don't know how it operates and it came sealed; it could easily be under pressure of have parts I can't re-assemble inside. But I start taking screws off and eventually free the copper plate.

And this is what I found:
IMG_20130223_161556.jpg
IMG_20130223_161626.jpg
IMG_20130223_162245.jpg
IMG_20130223_161643.jpg

It looks... Like dirt? The system came sealed, how did dirt get in it, and enough to completely block the flow?!

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Attachments

• IMG_20130224_102040.jpg
    IMG_20130224_102040.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,506
Last edited:

Boulard83

Badly cleaned radiator before the factory filled/sealed it ?

I never liked those wanabee WC and this is part of the reason ....

musicfan

Thanks for the thread and the great pics BigBubbaX. Never had seen that in an All-in-One. Wonder how many have simply RMA'ed "malfunctioning" AIO's and had this? Nice troubleshooting job.

OP
ctag

ctag

Now I wonder if it wouldn't be uncalled for to take the radiator off and try to flush it by pushing water the opposite way through it...

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I suspect that may be some kind of bacteria or growth. Make sure to clean it good and use a biocide of some sort. I would defiinitely flush the whole system.

OP
ctag

ctag

Okay, unfortunately I'm in a college dorm, so I don't have much at my disposal. I'd probably end up using a drop of dish soap and some manual water pump to coerce hot water through the drained radiator.

Also, when I had it open, the liquid didn't look/smell like water. Kinda more like antifreeze. I'm not sure what to refill the loop with.

musicfan

Went to Corsair forums and did a search on Coolant and read some threads. Corsair George said the "Corsair Coolant" was a propylene glycol anti-freeze but I cannot find an actual Material Data Safety Sheet (msds) at Corsair. An older (2006) link said Corsair used Peak Sierra PG. I am not certain this is true in 2013 so your best bet is write Antec.

The All-in-One products by Corsair and Antec have Aluminum radiator water tubing with a copper water block so you are mixing metals and will require an anti-corrosive as well as the usual biocide and water. The Antec All-in-Ones use Asetek as OEM like Corsair did for the H70.

Not sure how expensive auto anti-freeze is, but since Martinm210 only got 300 ml out the Swiftech H220, you may want to simply buy a small amount of a proprietary water-cooling coolant, which has the anti-corrosives and biocide. One bottle should work. An example is Swiftech's HydrX. If you use auto anti-freeze, most use around 20% AF to 80% distilled water in mixed metal water-cooling systems to get the anti-corrosives found in auto AF.

I have never used anti-freeze in water-cooling but there are many threads discussing it on the 'net. There are also threads for Corsair mods, which may confirm the above. Please read all msds and use splash precautions with coolants.

My $.02. Good luck. :)

OP
ctag

ctag

Hey, awesome, thanks musicfan!

I'll plan to take another look at it over spring break in a few weeks and check back in here.

Thanks,

ZytheEKS

Registered
Damn, that's ****ed up. I hope it didn't do any damage to your CPU, that's some gnarr **** man. But yeah, you will definitely want to get a biocide and anti-scaling agent.

I have been using Mayhems fluids for a while now, and I'll tell you these fluids are ****ING AMAZING

If you have a Glycol fluid in your system you should throw in the XT-1 additive, and get the Biocide Extreme anti-scaling agent.

If I were you I would get the XT-1 additive, add the appropriate amount to your system. Then get the Biocide extreme, use the included Ph balance test kit to get the balance BEFORE you add the biocide, then add the fluid accordingly.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c...hems_Fluids-Page1.html?id=vKBe8svT&mv_pc=4465

HOPE THAT HELPS

OP
ctag

ctag

Cool, thanks for the advice ZytheEKS!

The Mayhems XT-1 product page mentions that the fluid should be replaced every 9-12 months. I've had my Antec loop for about 10 months...

Last week I found out that I'm going to get a job I interviewed for, which has pretty much made my year. I'm going to have to save most of the money to make college work out, but I'm planning on using whatever extra I can manage to keep a hold of to revamp my computer. So now would be a good time to check out the stuff that goes into water loops, so I'm ready to build a custom one later in the year. I'll take this week to look things over and see if I can make a purchase next weekend.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Make me want to take apart my H70 modded system. But on the other hand, im gettings idle temps of 5degrees, and maxing out at 60, so i think im ok..

OP
ctag

ctag

IT'S NOT OVER YET

Bah, here's what you get when people try to be helpful by offering good advice:

Like ZytheEKS, xsuperbgx, and musicfan said, I should have flushed the system and purchased new coolant + biocide.

But I didn't. I'm in college. I was broke. (I still am)

I also didn't make a huge effort to prioritize and get the money to purchase less than forty bucks of stuff :rolleyes:

After my last post, I was tired and sick of dealing with the heatsink, and the liquid looked clean enough. So I sealed the system up and popped it back on the computer.

Pretty bad idea. Today my computer overheated again and crashed. I immediately knew what was wrong and pulled the water loop off.

Here's the deal:
S2100001.JPG

I used a bike pump to purge the system:
S2100003.JPG

And here's the coolant:
S2100004.JPG
S2100005.JPG

Nasty. I haven't even tried putting it back in the loop, it's all still sitting on my counter. I had to put an air heatsink back on the mobo before I could post to the forum though xP this is my only computer.

Anyway, I'm going to actually save up and purchase the new coolant and biocide, make sure everything works, and then sell the computer.

TheHutchTTU

Coolant/biocide is pretty cheap. I saw 1gal of distilled water at CVS/Walgreens the other day for like $1.50, so I'm sure you could get both for less than $10.

Conumdrum

I want to say lots. But I won't.

But will save the link for others as a warning...........

Prioritization. College life over a PC. Pretty equal. Chicks or a PC. Easy when I was your age.

OP
ctag

ctag

Ahah, I feel that I've attracted the witty crowd :welcome:

I'll just switch my life motto to live and learn from here on out.

Two weeks until my next paycheck, half going to rent, half going to replace my cellphone, and $30 going to FrozenCPU.com :clap:

Chicks or a PC... Are you saying if I ditch this thing I could get a girlfriend?!

Edit:
Needless to say, I'm not folding and mining bitcoins on the computer anymore.. And won't be for the foreseeable future.