• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amplifier not reciever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shutoutkeeper3

Registered
I want to build a HT system with the HKB-6 and the CHT-10 sub. The question i am asking is: is there an 5.1/6.1/7.1 amp that has just one input (optical for DD). I would get a reciever but i want more bang for the buck power wise. The reason i don't need a receiver is I will only need one optical input.

My budget is about $150-200

d4rr3n

I hope i understand what you are asking. What you want is just an amplifier instead of a receiver, but there is a problem with this. An amp is just that, an amplifier. On it's own it just amplifies the signal, it can't control the gain(volume) and it can't process the signal. If it does it's not an amp. If it adds a preamp section that contols the volume and selects the inputs it's now an integrated amplifier. If it adds a processing section for DD/DTS optical signals now you have a receiver. It's like asking to buy a car engine instead of a whole car because you dont need all the extra seating and fancy body. Short answer, no.

Azzkiller

IMO you dont need more than 50-100 watts per channel to drive those HK's. A good reciever should do an excellent job. If you really need more output than the reciever and Hk's can provide, I would really reccomend getting a different set of speakers.

As for your budget, you would need to spend much more than that to get a seperate surround preamplifier and amp.

bizhar

Are you using a optical cable to your speakers?
Amplifiers usually use RCA connections comming from a preamp or device with outputs. Amplifiers output with speaker wires to the speakers, on PCs they use RCA plugs a lot.
For your price range as Azzkiller said you are going to have to settle for a reciever. Remember, power output ratings are far from a good clue as to how loud or how clear your speakers will sound.
check out eBay under: Consumer Electronics > Home Audio > Home Theater Receivers should find a deal in there.

OP
shutoutkeeper3

shutoutkeeper3

Registered
Thanks. I was afraid ya'll were going to say that. I kinda already knew, but i just wanted to make sure. I am looking at the Harman Kardon AVR 130. Will this 45 watts per channel and the HKB-6 be louder than my z-680s? I know it will sound a lot better, but i also want to be able to crank 'em just as loud as my z-680s(even tho my parents don't, lol)

DaFonz

Haha third time today - I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before..ecost.com.. pick up a refurb for cheap!

RobxMcCarthy

Yep I am running an Onkyo pure analog reciever.TX-8511. Got it as a refurb from e-cost for $175, normally $250. It's a good reciever, extremely warm sound, not overly bright as nearly ALL sub $300 digital recievers can be. Also, it's powerful. 200 watts per channel to drive my Athena AS-F2's + 2 10 inch subwoofers, which each have a 500 watt amp.

It's an extremely clean sound for an affordable price. Therefore, I can really recommend this setup.

The only downside is it doesn't have a subwoofer output, however, since it can run 4 speakers simultaneously down to 2 ohms... it's not really a problem.