• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An Ideal Seti Machine...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msucs78

OK guys,

I've gotten a tax rebate check & I need to spend about $650 on a new seti computer. Anyone have some ideas for building the fastest seti machine possible for under $650???

I've been out of the loop for a while & don't have time to research what I is the best to date:

Motherboards, Processors, RAM, & O/S ???

Thanks for replying guys! :D

recently the best seems to be a tbird athlon running as fast as possible mated with the fastest ddr ram you can get
im sure the people in here running such systems will enlighten you
as for os,i think its hard to beat win2k,its fast,reliable and rather popular here and everywhere
:)

yep.. have to agree with you lonewolf... and I am an Intel fan myself...

Unless the Taulatin prices have dropped overnight.... (not likely) :)

Anyway... DDR, Win 2K, Iwill or Epox, TBirdie... you will have to shop well to keep it under 650....

Good Luck!!

Kris

msucs78 said:
OK guys,

I've gotten a tax rebate check & I need to spend about $650 on a new seti computer. Anyone have some ideas for building the fastest seti machine possible for under $650???

I've been out of the loop for a while & don't have time to research what I is the best to date:

Motherboards, Processors, RAM, & O/S ???

Thanks for replying guys! :D

I haven't used the Epox EP-8K7A mobo yet (have it on order) but there have been a lot of outstanding reviews on it - and if Tim C says it's good then I believe him.
The Epox motherboard goes for about $ 132.00
The Athlon 4 1.2 chip goes for about $ 220.00
Corsair PC2400 256mb for about $ 68.00 ea.

I do know that the Athlon 4 cpu's are excellent Seti Crunchers. We have a Tyan Dual 1.0 @ 1.0 (can't overclock the stupid beast, what a bummer ) Athlon 4 running - 512mb Corsair PC2100 registered DDR - Windows 2000 Advanced Server - and the Seti times average right at 5hrs on average AR's and sub 6hr on VLAR's.

Which FSB is better for the Processor?

OK guys, one more question....

Which is the better choice for the Processor?

a.) Athlon 1.2 Ghz 200FSB
b.) Athlon 1.2 Ghz 266FSB

I'm assuming since Seti is generally intensive on the FSB that the 266 would be better. However, if the mother board is capable of overclocking fairly well, you could get the lower FSB & overclock it further...

Is this correct?

Well this is sumthing I've never experimented with, but from seeing other peoples experience most of them can o/c to atleast 135-136fsb To me that is still kinda low (especially for seti which is definatly affected by a high fsb for the processor and memory, also cas latency has a high impact on wu times.. I'd definatly spend the extra 10 bucks on the processor and ram and get the pc2100 crucial 256mb unbuffered and a 1ghz /w 266fsb Ayjhar (new stepping) ( my next system I'm buying one of these and I'm gonna o/c the hell outta it :p ) most people are hitting 1.6ghz to 1.7ghz with powerful air cooling with these new chips (Swiftech 462 or Thermalright Sk6)
Hope this didn't confuse you too much..

Crunch On!!

Last edited:
I'm with Intel still.....I would get a Tualatin 512 Kb at 1.2 GHz.....I've heard of guys overclocking this one to 1.5 and performing better than an Athon at the same clock speed. It might get better if you use DDR with it, but haven't seen it yet.

Re: Which FSB is better for the Processor?

msucs78 said:

I'm assuming since Seti is generally intensive on the FSB that the 266 would be better. However, if the mother board is capable of overclocking fairly well, you could get the lower FSB & overclock it further...

Is this correct?

Answer B

In my personal experience I prefer the highest FSB possible. straight Muliplie ryou do not get the benefits of faster internal bandwidth of a Faster FSB you do.

Maestro

Re: Which FSB is better for the Processor?

msucs78 said:

Is this correct?

And the difference to an overclocker would be...

For an overclocker it really, really doesn't matter, since you just change it anyway. At least, that's how I see it. For some (like the 1000) you would probably want to go with the 266 cause it's more likely to have a good stepping than the 200s.

Back