• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

an interesting analysis of why we do what we do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-5143150-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

i found this article, and thought it summed up my feelings about building computers pretty well. for the time being, my "accountant" is winning, since the last time my inner geek won, i ended up with a broken video card and a mobo that couldnt oc at all. hopefully sometime in the next year there will be something that comes into the market that will make my inner geek beat the crap out of the accountant, cause im itching to do some tinkering (just talk to the AMD k6 450mhz crap computer that was in pieces on my floor, but is now running slackware 10).

Mr.Guvernment

well $3k for a gaming rig..LOL this guy does not know what he is shopping for..lol

and this compares to everything in life - cars - electronics - really is there any reason to upgrade most of the things we own every year - no there isnt, but we do it anywaYs - it is a hobby :D

totall agree

There is some value to running a machine you've built: You know it inside and out. Tech support on a store-bought PC isn't much help these days once you get past a stock configuration, and no support operator in New Delhi is going to know the ins and outs of your particular configuration after you've had a PC for more than a year and upgraded a few parts. So why not start from scratch and be your own IT? You might not save time, but you'll save yourself aggravation.

I could see J.R. light up when he talked about his rig. I'm sure working on this machine gives him a sense of satisfaction no beige box of boredom ever could.

OP
zip22

zip22

the image of a stream of parts arriving at my doorstep, waiting for me to craft them together into a slick, silent, and speedy monolith of power is all it takes for me to justify the expense and the hassle of creating my own machine. I like the hassle.

thats one of my favorite parts, just waiting to get stuff :drool: