• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An old one: GA-5AX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JukeJoke

Hi!

Don't know, if you remember a time, there were Boards with a so called Socket 7 ;) The 5AX was one of the latest Boards, supporting K6 III CPUs and was produced in more than three revisions. Now my Question: What is the difference between Rev 4 and 5.2? Cannot find any specs or somthing, explaining what's the differ in them. Anyone here who knows?

repo man11

Welcome to the forums!

I have my mom set up with one of those (actually a GA-5AA, the AT version), and a K6-2+ 450 @550. I've done some searching, and I was never able to find the difference in the revisions.

They aren't a bad little motherboard.I think the Via MVP3 chipset outperforms the Ali, so it won't take the honors for best Super 7 motherboard. You can hit 110 to 115 FSB with it though.

Any particular reason you wanted to know the difference?

Last edited:
OP
J

JukeJoke

First of all: Thank you for this fast answer :)

I own a DFI K6BV3+/66 Board, which is also BAT Format, but does not support Wake on LAN :( So I just need a new Home for my K6 III 450, working as a little server and found the GA-5AX on eBay. There are this two Revisions, 4.2 and 5.2 and the only difference i could recognize is that the LPT Connector on the Board is coloured in Rev 5.2 (on 4.2 it's black). Can you recommend a Super Socket 7 Board with MVP3 that supports Wake on LAN, has 3 DIMM Slots, supports UDMA 66 and has at least four PCI Slots? Couldn't find a Board with all this features.

EDIT: Maybe it's the Revision of the Aladdin V Chipset.

Last edited:

repo man11

I found this at Tom's Hardware:
The ALI Aladdin V chipset is around now for quite a while, whilst the VIA's MVP3 chipset turned up a few months later. ALI had a lot of problems with bugs in the chipset, resulting in a tremendous amount of new revisions. It is certainly important to be aware of the fact that still most ALI Aladdin V motherboards are using chipset revision 'E', although ALI now ships revision 'F'. It is still not yet clear if 'F' will eventually be the final revision. The MVP3 has two other advantages, it offers a better upgradeability by enabling the usage of older EDO RAM or PC66 SDRAM running in asynchronous mode and it supports a larger 2nd level cache of up to 2 MB.
http://www4.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19980731/socket7-02.html#summary

It sounds as though the difference is different revisions of the chipset as ALi worked out the bugs. So the later, the better.

That is quite a laundry list of requirements you have. I know of no reason why the Gigabyte board shouldn't do the job, and I don't know of another that fits the bill.

OP
J

JukeJoke

loool! Same time, same idea!

That means, that the cacheable RAM on Rev 4 is limited to 256 MB in opposite to Rev 5.2 with the Aladdin V "G" where the cacheable size is 768 MB. Thanks!