• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And of course more on Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Watching, waiting and saving. Me thinks that the next machine I build will be an Intel though I am holding out for now to see what AMD can come up with. From www.guru3d.com .

Chip details leak out of Intel
Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn - views: 11

Prescott, the next big desktop chip from Intel, is slated to come out at 3.4GHz, while Dothan, an energy-efficient chip for slim notebooks, will have a server-size cache and is expected to debut at 1.8GHz, according to computer industry sources.

The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker is gearing up for a busy second half of the year with a slew of new chips and price cuts, according to an Intel presentation forwarded to CNET News.com as well as industry sources.

Prescott, which will come out in the fourth quarter, will contain a number of enhancements over the current Pentium 4, including new instructions for multimedia processing and a 1MB cache, a pool of memory on the chip for fast data access. Current Pentium 4s have a 512KB cache.

The chip is slated come out at 3.4GHz, according to the sources, and then speed up to 3.6GHz in the first quarter of 2004. It is unclear whether the chip will be sold as a Pentium 4 or be renamed, but history indicates that the architectural changes would justify a new brand name.

Prescott is expected to cost $637 in volume quantities. Although a release date was not specified, Intel plans to cut the prices on its other processors on Oct. 26 by up to 35 percent, the first Pentium 4 price cuts since June. Typically, price cuts and chip releases occur at about the same time.

Source: news.com

only problem is that thier may be NO UPGARDE PATH with prescott....
This CPU will probly be my next upgrade, just not sure when i will jump on the bandwagon.
Reason being the 1st batch should be Socket 478, and quickly fased out in favour of Socket T.

Also another thing to worry about will be the AGP.
As we all know AGP is going die out around the same time as Socet T comes along.... So once again, you dont want to be stuck with an early Socket T, and not have PCI Express

Yet 1 more thing worries me, RAM. As we all know DDR has hit a wall and is and the end of its life. (PC3200 should never have been made spec) And with DDRII just around the corner, and the ability to ramp up its clock speed that is also another thing you must take into consideration when buying prescott.

So my Main 3 conserns are

Socket, what socket to buy? Dont want to be stuck with no Upgrade path
Video, When will APG die off, and PCI express take over, once again I want an upgrade path.
RAM, If My ram can hardly Run at 400Mhz, wil have a Hard time overclocking, and why use Ram dividers when you can run at full speed (DDR II)

Oh and one more thing about socket T.
You will most likly be able to upgrade a socket T motherboard with a Tejas core PCU (Prescotts sucessor)...

Will have a better idea what to do later this year, come fall we should have a good idea what is going to happen....
untill then, will stick with Old Faithfull (BX bord), and see what happens when Half-life 2 comes out in september.

HL-2 is going to be my motivation to replace the BX baord I think... was planing to upgrade this summer (prescotts original release date, but with no AMD pressure it was pushed back), so summer upgrade oney got me an ITX system (still cant belive i bought a VIA product) apposed to a Northwood......

So needless to say I am keeping an eye out for the best way to handel Prescott

I think we will see some socket 478~socket-t adapters from powerleap and the like.

I think these new 865 and 875 motherboards have some life in them like the BX did for so long.

JKeefe said:
Maybe future motherboards will have AGP and PCI-Express slots for a while before moving to PCI-Express only. Wishful thinking?

Rumor has it thier will be a "bridge" to bridge the 2 together...
if that has to be built into the card or is an adapter, i do not know as of yet

Back