• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

... And So It Begins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

This is my attempt at an i7 build.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
------------------
#1 - Parts ::
------------------

Intel i7 920
1.jpg

2.jpg

OCZ Reaper HPC 1600MHZ CL7

3.jpg

4.jpg

Foxconn Flamingblade

5.jpg

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850

6.jpg

Corsair HX620w PSU

7.jpg

Western Digital Velociraptor (160gb OEM)

8.jpg

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

9.jpg

To Be Continued...

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Looking forward to seeing the build progress. I hope you put up some stock bench results (such as 3dMark) after you get it put together. Also like to see some overclocked results after you upgrade the cooling. :)

OP
J-O_S-H

J-O_S-H

Looking forward to seeing the build progress. I hope you put up some stock bench results (such as 3dMark) after you get it put together. Also like to see some overclocked results after you upgrade the cooling. :)

No Problem will do... I have a copy of 3D mark that I got free with my Maximus II Formula and haven't used yet.

psionic98

if I only had more time and i'd be working on my new i7 build going on in a diff thread...darn holidays always getting in the way

OP
J-O_S-H

J-O_S-H

if I only had more time and i'd be working on my new i7 build going on in a diff thread...darn holidays always getting in the way

Well I can't work on mine until I get a case to put it in. Really frustrating... I essentially have a whole i7 build but can't do anything with it.

OP
J-O_S-H

J-O_S-H

you so could have an open build to play with .. unless you have little ones running around ..

I have liitle brothers that love to touch things they shouldn't. Even if I didn't I don't really have anywhere to put an open build.

I was thinking of doing a cardboard box build but it's too much effort and something will likely get broken... I ALWAYS break something.

psionic98

I used a shoebox to hold everything while i tried to figure out why I wasn't posting.. new experience for sure!

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I always do an open bench build to test for DOA parts, then move it all to a case when I know everything works. Makes it a lot easier to figure out there's an extra stand-off under the mobo in the case causing a problem - or some other silly problem. ;)

OP
J-O_S-H

J-O_S-H

Ok... so all I essentially need now is a case to house the components.

I was gooing to get a corsair Obsidian but have recently uncovered the Silverstone Raven RV01B and am very intereseted to get it.

The Raven will cost me £140 whereas the 800D will cost £200 + £30 for some decent fans.

What do you guys think?

OP
J-O_S-H

J-O_S-H

UPDATE :: With the holidays I can expect to recieve a case after December 30th

Will probably get the Silverstone Raven RV01B-W (rev 2 with window) unless I can find a really good deal on something else over the next few days.

I was all hyped up to get the Corsair Obsidian 800D... now I'm only vaguely interested in it.

WIll also be getting a new 24" Monitor sometime in January.

I can't wait... but unfortunately I have to.

Last edited:

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
UPDATE :: With the holidays I can expect to recieve a case on January 30th.

Will probably get the Silverstone Raven RV01B-W (rev 2 with window) unless I can find a really good deal on something else over the next few days.

I was all hyped up to get the Corsair Obsidian 800D... now I'm only vaguely interested in it.

WIll also be getting a new 24" Monitor sometime in January.

I can't wait... but unfortunately I have to.

!!!! The 30th???? Of NEXT month??? Ouch...

OP
J-O_S-H

J-O_S-H

UPDATE :: Managed to get a good deal on a Corsair Obsidian 800D.

Now I just need to play the waiting game... Worst game ever!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the system should be built by next week.

Water Cooling will likely be completed in February after I get a new monitor.