• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And the 2009 Game of the Year is...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
...Wii Sports.

For the third consecutive year in a row.

I wasn't really aware of the ultimate extremes of this game until yesterday... where they had brought a Wii down to the bar around the corner from my friend's place. A bunch of 20 year old "kids"... drunk and high out of their minds and listening to Metal on the jukebox were playing Wii Sports.

Not JUST Wii Sports though... but they were playing it like I'd never SEEN before. They played bowling... but they weren't JUST playing bowling. They were playing one of the advanced levels with barricades in the middle of the lanes. And the other one where the number of pins just gets bigger and bigger. And they were SLAM DANCING as they were playing!

Quotes of the night:

Guy to Girl: "You punched me in the face!"
Girl to Guy: "Well you kicked me in the boob!"

(This didn't take place in a game BTW...)

Sure... I still say it's just a gimmick game... but possibly the greatest gimmick game... and the most unintentional fun of all time.

As for an actual, REAL Game of the Year for this year... I'd have to go with Batman: Arkham Asylum. Nobody has ever DARED to do that much with a superhero game before.

BATMAN+1

I remember Wii Sports being like this last year, drunk kids playing it...Its so last year I dont think I been to any parties where they even turn it on

I know Batman probably won't win anything anywhere except MAYBE an action award on the PC (Uncharted 2 will win for action on the PS3 and whatever the hell Bungie put out will win on the 360)... but it really DESERVES game of the year.

If only because they set out to do something that had failed so many times in the past and they actually EXCEEDED absolutely everybody's (including my own) expectations.

Batman is a good choice, I just hope they really capture the essence of Batman in the next game. Gotham city is part of Batman, Arkham Asylum? Not so much, but it was great to see it so detailed.

Batman is a good choice, I just hope they really capture the essence of Batman in the next game. Gotham city is part of Batman, Arkham Asylum? Not so much, but it was great to see it so detailed.

Oh great... Now Arkham Asylum isn't a part of Batman... I guess the Fortress of Solitude isn't a part of Superman either? :p

I think Neural Net wants Grand Theft Batman, that might be interesting.

it would be most epic, to drive the batmobile in Grand Theft Batman, imagine the sharp turns where he has to fire the car's turning grapple gun :D

or or or

when the batmobile has to go down a narrow ally, and the sides pop off it and wheels retract inward.

or or or

when the batmobile goes into protective shield mode and drops 4 bombs from its wheels

or or or

when the batmobile does a 360 using the swivel lift , and then fires its jet afterburner to toast some baddie standing behind it !!!

hmm maybe i want a batmobile game more than a batman game :sn: the bat-mobile in Batman and Batman Returns is the best imho.

MW2 single player; I don't care about it's linearity or how bad the script was, it was the first shooter that felt like being in an action movie.

for me personally MW2 takes it as the most fun with a new game iv had this year(on xbox 360), (it is still definatly flawed though, it is just living off cod4 it isn't anything new and tbh cod4 does what it does better!)

Dragon age was fun but again its concept has been done to death

Back