• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another E8400 Temp Issue - Slightly Different

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bristley

Hi everybody, my first post! Long time reader though hehe

I know there is a lot of theads about this, but I didn't want to hi-jack as my issue is slightly different. I will give you a run down of my specification first as that always comes in handy.

Mobo: IP35-E Bios Revision 15
Processor: E8400 Q745A553
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Using Everest, Coretemp, and Orthos for loading.

My cases ambient temperatures are less than 25c and my GPU (8800GTS 512MB) runs at 42C all the time during the tests below.

Here are my readings at stock settings, I was running C1E and EIST to find my lowest temperature;

(IDLE)
Voltage: 1.096V
Core Speed: 2000Mhz
Core 0: 44C
Core 1: 44C
Cpu: 35C

(LOAD)
Voltage: 1.176V
Core Speed: 3060Mhz
Core 0: 57C
Core 1: 57C
Cpu: 43C

As you can see, I have around about 13C difference from idle to load, and my temps are starting off pretty high (I think) even though its running at less than 1.1v.

Here are my 4Ghz settings without C1E and EIST;

(IDLE)
Voltage: 1.336V
Core Speed: 4050Mhz
Core 0: 49C
Core 1: 49C
Cpu: 35C

(LOAD)
Voltage: 1.296V
Core Speed: 4050Mhz
Core 0: 75C
Core 1: 75C
Cpu: 64C

Now, this time I have around about 26C difference from idle to load, and my temps are starting off not that much higher than stock (only 4C difference, or so I am told).

My heatsink is barely warming up, my northbridge feels much warmer than my heatsinks heatpipes. But I can feel heat, like static heat in the air underneath my heatsinks fins, near the block, even though the block is not warm to the touch either. So I am very confused?

Now, I have tried the stock heatsink from another Core 2 Duo (not the little one that comes with the Wolfdales) and my temps are similar, just a few degrees higher.

I want to go out and buy a new cooler but I am not sure if that is wise or not, there is so much going on here about this issue, diode related and so on. I thought I would wait it out and see what happens, but.. I noticed I had an issue no one was reporting, so maybe mine is not related to the diode problems?

The problem I have is when temperatures start raising even more, which it does if my ambient temperatures go up or when I try to overclock more (hehe) - the processor starts throttling itself (under full load, I think). I am not sure if this is my motherboard doing this or my processor, all I know is Orthos beeps at me telling me something is not right and I noticed my voltage being changed in Cpuz and my temps where higher than usual (but Orthos continued to stress test).

So my question is;

Do I have a heatsink issue, is it not good enough?
Do I have a processor diode issue, its reading my temps so badly wrong the cpu actually throttles me?
Or is it is something else?

I hope you can help as I really don't have the knowledge nor intelligence to try to figure this one out myself. I don't want to send stuff back to the retailer either if it truly is not broken, and I don't want to spend more money on heatsinks if my problem still persists!

Thanks for reading - Bristley

I would take these coretemps with a grain of salt. I've got the lastest cortemp download and I know for a fact it's over between 5 to 10c on my E6850. I've got a E8400 comming soon to see it's results. I've got a thermistor actually under the cpu which measures the real temps within +/- 3c and that's what I go by. When the lastest version of coretemp reads 65c, the thermistor reads 53-55c (LOADS ONLY). Idle reports within 1c of latest coretemp. From my experience the last version of UGURU is wrong as well, reporting lower temps than actual.

Ah, I think I found out why I got throttled back "Thermal Control" in the IP35-E Bios - would I be safe to turn this off then?

I had the same problem with the idle & the load being a 20-25c difference. I was using a slightly over stock cpu cooler. I purchased A 120 extreme & a 120mm fan which it lowered my temp by 10-15c. My load only goes up by 7-10c

Ah, I think I found out why I got throttled back "Thermal Control" in the IP35-E Bios - would I be safe to turn this off then?

I'd leave it on - I don't know if that really turns off the internal temp throttling or not, but why risk it. If the chip starts throttling it is too hot, and it woul dbe nice to know that and have the chip protect itself.

Back