• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another fool with a new RTX 2080 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I ran Superposition 4K Optimized again with the same exact settings and overclock. Compare this with my earlier post. The only thing different was the water block which lowered max temp by 44 degrees. Later on, I'll bump up the OC and try for a max effort run.

RTX 2080 Ti Superposition 4k optimized 13575 watercooled.jpg

Right on dood those are some great temps. I know it can be nerve wracking to take apart a thousand dollar video card. It had me in a cold sweat. All's well that ends well. Now slide the voltage up all the way and add 100 mhz.

How about some 3Dmark Time Spy benchmarks.

(1) I ran a baseline with computer not overclocked with my former Radeon RX 580, stock air cooling, default settings.

9820X default RX 580 default Time Spy 4599.jpg

(2) Installed new EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, stock air cooling, default settings.

9820X default RTX 2080 Ti default Time Spy 13328.jpg

(3) CPU and RAM moderate OC, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, stock air cooling, overclocked.

9820X RTX 2080 Ti air cooled Time Spy 14710.jpg

(4) CPU and RAM moderate OC, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, EK Vector full water block, overclocked.

9820X RTX 2080 Ti watercooled Time Spy 15002.jpg

As the ache in my back fades from being hunched over working on this thing for way more than I want to remember, I'm beginning to like this card. Looks like it really likes being watercooled too. Umm, once I fumbled around and finally got it installed right. ;) I wish I'd done more baseline benching, but that's okay. I'll just go out and have fun doubling my old 3D benchmarks for new personal best scores.

Ritalin Version: New RTX 2080 Ti good. After shooting myself in the foot twice, water block installed. Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti excellent.

One more Superposition 4K benchmark screenshot before I move on. I went too high on the core speed and froze. I backed off a fair amount, then ran it again and it completed. I'm getting to the point of diminishing returns. But, all this is with default voltage (I did increase the power limit). If I wanted to spend some time fine tuning, I might make 14k.

Superposition 4K Optimized RTX 2080 Ti watercooled and overclocked.jpg

Well, I got to thinking this Superposition 4K is a really tough benchmark that don't like to give out points. Brando, this is for you, I ran it again for you since I spouted off and said I could easily make 14k while blind folded and with my mouse hand tied behind my back. This benchie is indeed stingy, this was the best of three. I could definitely break 14k if I keep tweaking, but I'm moving on to Superposition 8K and GPUPI 1B.

Superposition RTX 2080 Ti  4k optimized 13964.jpg

I hate to brag, but look at that 42 max temp. I thought all those reviews talked about how hot this card got under load. ;)

EDIT: Just won my first gold hardware cup for the GPUPI 1B 3.3 benchmark (11th globally). These RTX 2080 Ti cards have been out since last fall, so there's a lot of competition. The top ten for many of the popular benchmarks are cooled with LN. The fellow I beat out for the gold cup was using a chiller. So, considering all of that, I feel like I'm doing pretty good.

RTX 2080 Ti GPUPI 1B 3.3 hardware gold cup.jpg

Last edited:
Dayum Batz! Looks like all the new toys are pulling you out of retirement and back into the fun of chasing numbers again! Most impressive and congrats! :beer:

Yeah, but the eyesight isn't so keen and the hands aren't as steady as they used to be when you get old. Looks like you're still hanging in there, my friend.

Earthdog, Superposition 1080p Extreme is indeed another notch up from 4K, but 8k is the toughest of the bunch. I felt a little worried when I saw the framerate dip below 50 fps in 8k optimized. The 2080 Ti was grunting and groaning, but a lesser card would have been brought down to its knees.

RTX 2080 Ti Superposition 1080p Extreme 10065.jpg

RTX 2080 Ti Superposition 8k optimized 6005.jpg

Yeah, but the eyesight isn't so keen and the hands aren't as steady as they used to be when you get old. Looks like you're still hanging in there, my friend.

Batz, you're too kind my old friend. Remember the good 'ol days of raw clock speeds (Cpu or Gpu)? Those were real fun days! But seeing that new rebuild of yours and you get that shiny new 2080Ti under the hood cranking out those digits, just makes my eyes watery! I'm losing my eye sight and my hands are not really as steady, but I'm about to pull some hardware out of the mothball fleet and show these young whipper-snappers a thing or 2! LOL!!!

Ain't nothing like old school!

Amen, brother. My old school computer still has a floppy drive (shh, the ribbon cable kind of disappears because there's nothing on the motherboard to plug it into of course).

Very nice senor. Can you tell me what your clock speed sits at in game at 4k ultra rtx in bfv or the new tomb raider? i'm trying to confirm that the voltage adjustment helps. if you don't have either one of those i might have one of your games but i think bfV still comes free with the card iirc.

When I bought the card, I got a voucher for the RTX Triple Threat Bundle that consists of Battlefield V, Anthem, and Metro Exodus. I haven't done anything in that regard yet, I guess you download the games. It will probably be next week before I can do much. I'll be on the road for several days and I need to get ready. But, I'll see what I can do. Might have some time tomorrow evening?

You have done a very good job!

Ive been trhinking about the 2080 Ti a lot, but still dont need it cause games what I play (except the Division 2) run at 144 FPS with Gsync on my settings (@ 2560x1440p) on watercooled 1080 with unlocked power limit.
But If I upgrade It will be the KFA2 HOF edition and the block from Bitspower. Really lovely card...

Really good job ;)

Brando, I redeemed my voucher for Battlefield V, what a bunch of hoops they make you jump through, it's downloading and will take 3 hours and my pillow is already calling my name. Hopefully, I can play it a bit tomorrow and report back. You want the GPU clock speed? What OC? Modest or as high as I can go?

Not sure what I'm doing, but here is the monitoring graphs during the first single player mission.

Precision X1 during Battlefield V.jpg

Last edited:
I have voucher coupons for Anthem and Metro Exodus, but I haven't downloaded them yet.

RTX enabled? Is that a setting or do you just mean using the RTX 2080 Ti vid card?

It's a setting in the game(s).

It's (one of ) the biggest selling points (per nvidia) for the cards.

Last edited:
Please change my name to Mr. Oblivious. Just joking (I almost forgot Earthdog really can change my name).

Like I said, it's one of NVIDIA's biggest selling points for Turing/RTX series. But if you take a few mins to look around, you will see that its implementation is a bit rough... as in, performance is nearly cut in half when enabled and doesn't make a big difference in visuals. But there is testing all around showing the differences and performance hits, etc. :)

Last edited:
Back