• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Gaming Rig For Ya ~$1800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sloppy2nds

Registered
Hey guys, I havent built a computer in a looong time. Ive been saving up and and I'm ready to dive into it. It will be used for gaming/media. Ive never overclocked a system before but I definitely want to be able to do it on this setup, it wont be anything crazy though. Ive been surfing the forums for a while and this is what I came up with, any help would be great. Budgets around 1800.

MOBO - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

CPU - i7 950
*This is the only part that I actually have

PSU - Corsair 750tx

RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB

GPU - Sapphire Vapor-X 5870

CASE - Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full

SSD - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
*This is new to me, but Ive been reading around and seems to be a good
idea to include this. I read somewhere that you shouldnt put games
it and its only for OS and most used programs, is this true?

HDD - Western Digitial Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM

Misc:
Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Heat Sink

Heat Sink Fans

DVD Drive

Last edited:
That RAM is SERIOUSLY overpriced. I know it's really low latency, but it's honestly not worth that money. This is CL7 and it's $40 cheaper then those: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=g.skill_pi_series-_-20-231-335-_-Product

You're completely correct on the SSD.

And other then the RAM, everything here seems absoutely perfect. All the i7-9xx (other then the 980x) are just OC'ed 920's, but you already have the CPU, so there's nothing we can do about that. So, everything looks pretty good :thup:.

the g.skill PI may not fit with the HSF.. the heatsinks on the ram may impede the HSF from seating.. so watch out for that.. and honestly.. even in gaming you probably wouldnt see a noticeable shift (to the eye that is) in framerates due to cas9 over cas7.. course thats my opinion.. but seeing that the g.skill cas9 is like 140.. the difference for the cas is worth it i guess.. might have to dremel the ram sink or meghalem down some.. just an fyi!

Alright, so Im changing out the Mushkin Redline for the Blackline. Save some $'s and should be ok with the HSF. Any other comments? I got my finger on the trigger :drool:

Every thing looks good to me, I say a caviar blue would be fine if all you're doing is storing and streaming. Mine serves me well, but that's not to say I don't like my caviar black.

make sure to get some thermal compound for the heatsink.. not sure if meghalem comes with a tube, but I think arctic silver 5 or MX-2 is pretty cheap and worth it compared to the companies stock stuff

otherwise.. looks good!

EDIT: Not sure if the mobo header will work well with the fans for the HSF.. if you have a spare 30 bucks.. look up getting a standalone fan controller (sunbeam rheobus are nice.. and i think the 4channel ones are like 25-30 bucks)... though you can try to either daisy chain or get a Y connector to put the 2 fans to the CPU header on the mobo

Those fans are pretty quiet. I have dual 38mm Panaflo HS off the normal three pin headers and I'm fine.

Thanks for the help guys! Just put in the order, ill be sure to post pics of the finished product. :thup:

Back