• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Good Reason to Stay off Internet Explorer !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

I still like IE, I think most of the problems with Windows and IE are because users do not know how to properly update/patch their systems. Just my opinion.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
We have two client machines with this Hijack and it's a total pain in the bee-hind. The latest version is virtually impossible to remove as it keeps respawning itself even after massive regedits, SpyBot, Ad-Aware, and HiJackThis runs in safe mode.

The latest version seems to be coming from pr0n sites as well.... stoopid end users surfing the naughty-ness at work is giving me headaches.

Wedo

Disputant

mata2974 said:
I highly recommend Mozilla for surfing the web...............

Agreed... Any flavor off the mozilla site is great, it is all I use. Also, I have had much better luck with the most recent version of Firefox handling plugins as well. (.9)

ChampsElysees

Registered
after reading this and the virus brief from M$, i decided to get the newest Firefox browser, and I must say....daddy like! Much better than IE and the interface is pretty too :p

nil_esh

Even CERT is recommending a switch to a non-IE browser:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6746-2004Jun25.html

Mozilla is great for a lot of reasons. Tab-browsing is a given (though I like Opera's version of this better). Type-ahead find is a feature I can't live without. The latest version of Mozilla (1.7) can encrypt all your stored passwords with a single master password, that is good feature, though I don't think they were the first ones to have it (KDE was first with its wallet?). I switched from Firefox to Mozilla at work because of this feature.

Most people who I switch from IE to Mozilla (or Firefox) generally don't like IE anymore and hate it if they have to use it. And these are non-techies.

wizard james

yep ... i hate ie i am useing it right now because i have a program that needs ie to work.. but soon as i am done i go back to firefox.

i also like it because of all the plugins and themes

OP
mata2974

mata2974

This topic just seems to never die, again folks, the following article talks about how IE flaw may boost rival browsers. Can you believe this, that IE is used by 95 % of all web surfers :eek: just goes to shows how ignorance, or perhaps stupidity is such a powerful force.

read this article

HTML:
 But Mozilla claims some inherent security advantages as well. Internet Explorer is a fat target for attackers, in large part because it supports powerful, propriety Microsoft technologies that are notoriously weak on security, like ActiveX.

Security experts also noted that Web surfers using non-Microsoft operating systems, such as Linux or Apple Computer's Mac OS, were not affected by last week's attack.

Among security groups advising a browser switch is the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT), the official U.S. body responsible for defending against online threats. The group on Friday advised security administrators to consider moving to a non-Microsoft browser among six possible responses.

nil_esh

Being installed by default and integrated into the OS is a powerful force. Remember that many people use their computers as if they were appliances. It's taking the place of TV's for many people, but they don't expect to have to maintain it, they expect to be able to just turn it on and do their thing.

EDIT: Using IE? Watch your bank account:
http://isc.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-29

Last edited:

IZON

The smartest thing M$ could do right now is spin off IE as independent company and allow it develop and compete as a stand alone browser (and it would probably sink like a stone). As it is, IE is inflicting untold harm and costs upon entire computing industry. The mind boggles as to why the US Government hasn't enforced legislation compelling M$ to do so already. Embedding IE into windows can only be recognised as the faux pas it's always been, a sad triumph of proprietary incest over common sense.

Last edited:

PCGUY112887

Well, you have to ship some kind of browser with longhorn...
And IE is soo wraped around the rest of windows that would be VERY hard to do.