• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another MO-RA3 build, z370 1080ti SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

So i was having some problems with my previous setup on GLaDOS here: https://www.overclockers.com/forums...s-Evolv-mATX-(TG)-2x280mm-rads-Hardline-build

started as a 1080 build, and became a 1080ti build at the end. the ASUS z270 board started having problem with the PCIe ports, and wouldnt even post with something in the second slot, and it was giving computational errors from cards in other slots when running seti or mining, so the board has to be RMAed. I knew i wanted to move to a 1080ti SLI setup, and I've also been eyeing up the impending i7-9700k, so i decided to rebuild the system on z370. using an i3-8100 now just as a placeholder, then when the 9700k is released i'll swap it in.

i've also decided to move away from hardline tubing. i did it, it was cool, but it caused too many issues for system maintenance. draining the loop was necessary to reamice nearly anything except the ram, and draining was a nightmare because everything was packed so tight. and i dont think i could have gotten it all in, with hardline, with the pump and rads in the case, that wouldnt be even worse for system maintenance. and i dont think only 2x280mm thin HWL GTS rads would be enough cooling for the 9700k + 1080ti SLI.

so now it's soft tubing. and i'll be able to swap the CPU without draining the loop :)

Computer parts:
EVGA z370 micro
i3-8100 (just a placeholder until the 9700k is released)
2x EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hydrocopper
16GB Geil EVO X DDR4-3200
250GB Samsung 960 EVO Nvme with EK heatsink
2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Raind-0 for 500GB games drive)
Corsair TX850M PSU

Watercool parts:
Watercool MO-RA3 360 Pro with 4x Phobya 180x25mm 900 rpm fans
Watercool Heatkiller Tube 150 D5 w/Laing D5 pump (full speed, no speed control)
Koolance panel mount QD3 quick disconnects
mix of bitspower (left over from old build) angle adapters and EK 10/13mm compression fittings
Primochill Advanced LRT 3/8"x1/2" in White (internal) and Black (external)
Distilled water + Primochill liquid utopia

Pics:

91URyZf.jpg
unzTaLb.jpg
U6043ud.jpg
Eq2YDPG.jpg
bf0QsWQ.jpg
dxsQDJQ.jpg

but sadness, the RGB panel on the bottom card has failed since taking these pics. first it was just blue, then red, and now the green doesn't seem to work either. green works when i put some pressure on the panel, but it's intermittent :(. i really don't want to tear it all apart, and the card is still working properly from a games/compute performance and cooling part, just the RGB isnt working.

Very nice and well done.

Got any data before and after on the temps all around including ambient?

No long term data just yet.

I ran furmark for a little while with the cards SLI enabled. I didn’t see them get over 40-42C. I’ve also done the same with Unigine Superposition benchmark and some games.

Mining ETH at 65% power limit the cards don’t exceed 35C lol.

CPU temps are obviously fine. I think it hit 45C running prime95, but the i3 doesn’t put out much heat and I can’t overclock it anyway. I’ll report back on the CPU web I get the 9700k in it and mess with overclocking it.

But even with the i3 CPU, the 1080ti gives some pretty impressive performance numbers for the few games and benchmarks i’ve run.

Stop running furmark. Its a power virus and not really good for testing GPUs over the last couple of generations due to the protections each put into their cards. If you notice, running furmark will drop boost bins and your 'running' clock is a lot less than playing a game or anything else with the GPUs, including any distributed workloads. In other words, its not even testing things where the GPU will run under realistic loads. :)

Its not so much the cores as it is the IPC and clockspeeds. But I assure you, at 1080p and 1080 Ti's in SLI, it will take all the CPU speed it can get to reduce the glass ceiling. ;)

Stop running furmark. Its a power virus and not really good for testing GPUs over the last couple of generations due to the protections each put into their cards. If you notice, running furmark will drop boost bins and your 'running' clock is a lot less than playing a game or anything else with the GPUs, including any distributed workloads. In other words, its not even testing things where the GPU will run under realistic loads. :)

Its not so much the cores as it is the IPC and clockspeeds. But I assure you, at 1080p and 1080 Ti's in SLI, it will take all the CPU speed it can get to reduce the glass ceiling. ;)

I disagree, there's nothing wrong with furmark on these cards. I've used it to test functionality of LOTS of 10-series cards (among many other cards) with zero impact.

I'm not using it to test raw FPS performance or OC results. just to put as much load on the card as possible, for testing thermal limits and to reveal any flaws or defects in a card that might not pop up in lighter/easier loads.

the cards have thermal/power/current limits which are designed to prevent damage to the card. using furmark wont remove those limits.

it's a synthetic benchmarking tool to test thermal load. just like prime95 for CPUs. not realistic. just lots of heat.

the cards have thermal/power/current limits which are designed to prevent damage to the card. using furmark wont remove those limits.
Correct. But that doesn't mean you are testing what you are intending to test.

NVIDIA and AMD both said not to use it. The RTX reviewer's guide it says as much calling it a power virus (I'll show the pic when I'm not mobile).
nvwarn.jpg

All I am saying is that if you notice you aren't testing the same clocks you are running at. Be it FPS or w/e it isn't at the same clocks so it sort of defeats the purpose. Regardless, I'm happy it is still working for your uses. Be careful! :)

Last edited:
quick 4k superposition run:

not bad for an i3 heh

65% power limit
+50 core
+750 mem

EDIT: whoops, i didn't realize that the cards were still running mining clocks lol.

here's the real score

120% Power Limit
+80 GPU clock
+750 Memory clock

THCs8ui.png

Last edited:
I wonder how much that score would go up with a faster clocked CPU...

Try running it at the 1080 extreme setting. Its harder on GPUs than than 4K is. ;)

yeah, lower FPS. same settings as before

HI1IBHH.png

it's a bit silly though. when theres no point turning settings that high on only 1080 res. it doesnt look any better than high. it's just harder for no reason lol.

and we'll see what it does with a faster CPU when i get my hands on a 9700k

Correct. But that doesn't mean you are testing what you are intending to test.

NVIDIA and AMD both said not to use it. The RTX reviewer's guide it says as much calling it a power virus (I'll show the pic when I'm not mobile).
View attachment 201392

All I am saying is that if you notice you aren't testing the same clocks you are running at. Be it FPS or w/e it isn't at the same clocks so it sort of defeats the purpose. Regardless, I'm happy it is still working for your uses. Be careful! :)

Thank You, It is very refreshing to see someone back up their suggestion with a noted warning.

@gsrcrxsi, Nice build, very impressive, and as a fellow MORA3 owner love how you set it up!

Is it confirmed that the new 9th Generation Intel CPUs will work on the EVGA Z370 mobos? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Classified K, and have been planning on getting the 8700K but with the 9th generation supposedly coming out very soon, considering waiting a week or two.

everything i've read so far says that 9th gen will work on z370. nothing is "official" as intel hasnt really released anything about it officially.

the changes in z390 are very minor from what i've read so far. only really adding wifi and USB updates.

I've seen a lot of those reports as well, but it seems that it may take a BIOS update to support them. My only concern is that a BIOS update for a given board, such as the EVGAs or the ASUS ROGs, may not be available for some time. Or, if you were to buy the mobo now, you'd probably need an 8th gen CPU to boot so you could apply the BIOS update, and then setup the 9th gen which leaves you with a spare 8th.

well that's why i'm rocking the i3-8100. it works, and will keep it until the BIOS update is available. i'll still buy the chip right away regardless.

well that's why i'm rocking the i3-8100. it works, and will keep it until the BIOS update is available. i'll still buy the chip right away regardless.
It isn't already? I recall in August a lot of board partners released new bios' to support these chips....evga may be behind the curve.

i'm not sure if EVGA announced anything specific. but they do seem to be regularly updating the BIOS. last update 8/24/18 to add support for Coffee Lake-S chips.

i'm sure they will release another update once new chips are out. or maybe it's already included and they just didnt mention it to avoid NDA issues. who knows.

i'm not too worried about it.

Back