• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "New guy to watercooling thread". But I have done my homework..... I think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnowRider

Another "New guy to watercooling thread". But I have done my homework..... I think

Hey all!! I'm new here but have been reading around this forum (and lots of others) alot lately. Anyways this is another one of those "This is the list of parts I plan on buying for my first watercooling project" threads hehe. So let me know what you think, suggestions are welcome :D. I've included links to all the parts' manufacturer's sites.

Pump -=- Swiftech MCP600 rev. 2
Unless someone finds a way to change my mind, this is almost definitely the pump I plan on buying. I have read nothing but good reviews about it.

CPU Block -=- PolarFLO CPU SF w/ 1/2" Barbs
I'm pretty sure that this is the block I'm gonna get. It has gotten very good reviews and looks frickin awesome too. I've even emailed PolarFLO a few times asking some questions and have got replies back (from the head guy himself, Steve!!) fast with detailed answers! None of that yes/no short answer crap.

GPU Block -=- PolarFLO GPU/Chipset w/ 1/2" Barbs
Again.... very good performer and great looks. One of the questions I asked PolarFLO was if this block would fit on my video card (ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro). They said that I would have to mod the mounting block for it to work. I'm ok with this.

Chipset Block -=- PolarFLO GPU/Chipset w/ 1/2" Barbs
This part is gonna have to wait due to the fact that this block doesn't have an adapter for Intel's Northbridge HSF hooks. Steve (the PolarFLO guy) said that the adapter should be out soon though :D. If you have suggetions on other chipset blocks which are good performers that work with the hooks let me know and I'll check it out.

Reservoir -=- Innovatek Tank O Matic or maybe Criticool WaterPlant 6"
I'm still deciding on this one. That Innovatek res is very nice looking :cool: but pricey. In the end though I'll prolly end up with it because I like to go "all out" instead of getting the cheaper version and wishing every day I went with the other lol. I'd have to switch out the fittings on the Innovatek though since I want all 1/2" tubing and it comes with 1/4" to 3/8"(I think?).

Radiator or Heatercore -=- Black Ice Xtreme or Black Ice Xtreme II or Appropriately Sized Heatercore
This is probably the hardest part for me to decide on. Those Black Ice Xtremes are really expensive but seem to do the job very well. I've done a little research on heatercores but not a whole lot. The main thing is it has to fit inside my case (CoolerMaster ATC-201b). I'm planning on putting the rad or heatercore at the top front of the case and making two blowholes for the fans(*gulp* putting holes in a $180 aluminum case isn't exactly what I do for "fun" lol). The space I have to work with at the top of my case is about 11" L x 5 1/2" W. I would prefer to have a rad or heatercore that will fit 2x120mm fans.

Tubing -=- ClearFlex 60 or MasterKleer (To go to the ClearFlex 60 in the link, type "85" in the Find box. For the MasterKleer type "82".)
All of it would be 1/2" ID 3/4" OD w/ 1/8" wall. I'd like to get some Tygon R-3603 tubing but c'mon..... $2.65per ft:eek:?!? That's crazy. I would really like to know how well that MasterKleer tubing performs compared to Clearflex 60 or Tygon. I've only heard a few "this is great tubing comments" but not enough to make me buy it. So let me know if you have any links to reviews of it or if you have used all 3 of them yourself and have your own opinion about which is best overall. Oh yeah, how much tubing should I get?? I was thinking around 15 ft? Does that sound like a good number when you factor in the mistakes I might make?

Two 120mm Fans -=- SilenX 120mm or possibly Evercool Aluminum 120mm
Those SilenX fans are sweet but expensive. I really really like how quiet they are though.

Additives -=- Dtek Visible Blue UV Dye and Zerex Super Coolant or Super Protector
Which of the Zerex products is better for H²O cooling? I've heard the Super Protector is clear (which is nice) but I think the Super Coolant is more popular.

Misc -=- Clamps and Shroud and Innovatek Fitting Replacements
This post is getting long and I've asked to many questions already so my questions about these will be in another post.

Well? Did I do my homework?? lol. So there it is, my first watercooling setup. All this good stuff is going in my first PC which I built about 5 months ago. I've been really happy with it except for the noise(stock Intel HSF) and the heat. Right now as I'm typing this(midnight) my CPU has an idle temp of 43c with 28c ambient :cry:. This afternoon was really hot and the CPU got up to 50c idle :mad:. So watercooling it should take that temp down a bit. I'm getting really excited about buying this stuff (but I'm the patient type lol). Once I get this rig setup I plan on overclocking this badboy but that's another story. Well thank you very much in advance and here are my system spec's (as if this post couldn't get longer hehe).......

Motherboard -=- Asus P4c800 E-Deluxe
CPU -=- Intel P4 2.8ghz 800mhz FSB
Memory -=- Corsair 1024mb XMS 3200 DDR
Video Card -=- ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro
PSU -=- Antec TrueBlue 480watt
HDD's -=- 120gb Western Digital S-ata 8mb Cache, 120gb Western Digital ATA-100 8mb Cache
Sound Card -=- Audigy 2
Speakers -=- Logitech Z-680 5.1 500watt
Case -=- CoolerMaster ATC-201b BXT
Monitor -=- ViewSonic P95f+b 19" Flatscreen CRT
4 Case Blue LED CoolerMaster Case Fans
Aspire Fan Master 609 Rheobus w/ LCD
(I'll try and borrow a digicam to show you the system now)

Last edited:
seems like you've done a good amount of research...i'm new, too but got my stuff up and running a couple of weeks ago...i'm thinking of switching to a T-line from the current res set up but each has it's pros/cons...good luck and post pics.....

everything looks good so far, but i wouldnt recomment the Tank-O-Matic. I had one before, it restricts flow so much (2 90 degree bends in the base) and because of the high flow rate of the MCP600, youll have to remove the 2 tubes inside the tankomatic. Oh yea, if you going to use 2 120mm and mount the rad on the inside, it might not fit. I have the same coolermaster chassis as you (ATC-210) and it wouldnt fit unless you sacrafice 3 5.25" drives. Look at the link below, its a gallery of my Rig. Maybe it can give you some ideas on how you could mount your radiator.

http://www.gruntville.com/casegallery/albup91

Liquid_Cooled said:
everything looks good so far, but i wouldnt recomment the Tank-O-Matic. I had one before, it restricts flow so much (2 90 degree bends in the base) and because of the high flow rate of the MCP600, youll have to remove the 2 tubes inside the tankomatic. Oh yea, if you going to use 2 120mm and mount the rad on the inside, it might not fit. I have the same coolermaster chassis as you (ATC-210) and it wouldnt fit unless you sacrafice 3 5.25" drives. Look at the link below, its a gallery of my Rig. Maybe it can give you some ideas on how you could mount your radiator.

http://www.gruntville.com/casegallery/albup91

Ok, thx for the info about the Tank O Matic. It's good to know. But I am wondering, if I did go with it, why would I have to remove the tubes inside it? Are you saying they'd pop out from the pressure?
Hey I've actually had your case gallery bookmarked for a week or so now because I've kinda used it as reference for placement of things haha. I really like how you were able to add those two exhaust fans on the back of your case. I've thought about doing that before so it was nice to see what it looks like. Thx for the warning but I've measured the space and I think I can squeeze by. I did a rough measurement using the BIX II's dimensions with a 1" shroud and a 25mm thick fan and I'd have just enough space. Check out this link of some guys case I have as a reference also :D.
http://www.liquidninjas.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5887
Thx for the help.

Last edited:
Ok, I was able to borrow a digicam and take some pic's of my setup at the moment.
Here's the side (duh:rolleyes: )......

Attachments

• sidepanel.jpg
    sidepanel.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 859
I've tried to clean the wires up by hiding most of them behind the mobo tray. You should see how creative I got to hide my fan cables and temp probes for my fan controller lol.

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 851
......And the front. I replaced the floppy drive LED with a blue one (not on in the pic obviously) and plan to do the same for the cd-rw, dvd-rom, and keyboard....maybe even the monitor if i get real brave hehe.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 856
:) Love the look of the front of your case! You have done your homework for sure on the wc parts for the above setup. I basically have the same looking setup as Liquid Cooled and am running a t-line much like Scanido PIC! He also has the same chassis as us. Also I have been running on clearflex for 9 months now with no prob w/some tight bends, ordered some masterkler and thinking of trying it also but it looks kinda like it has a brownish/yellow tint. Post some pics up when you get it all together and going!

(edit: Also what kind of baybus is that you have? How far does the knobs stick out from the case? I need one and that looks nice!)

Thank you :D. This is the first time I've posted pictures of my case on the net so your comments are much appreciated.
Hahaha... I have that pic of scanido's case already to refer to for setup help. I've bookmarked as many coolermaster cases like mine that I can find for system setup hints. When you have a coolermaster case which doesn't have a whole lot of room for WCing you kinda want to see how other ppl were able to fit all their stuff inside.
Ok, "brownish/yellow tint"? Not good. Looks like negative on the MasterKleer then and I guess I'll get some Clearflex. Thx for that.

My fan controller is an "Aspire 609 Fan Master". I bought it at newegg only a week ago for $32 including s/h -Here-. I really like it so far. You can control 4 fans, monitor 4 temps and set audible alarms for each temp. The LCD even has 7 different colors to choose from and one setting that cycles through all 7. I would reccomend it though some of the reviews @newegg say it can't handle high powered fans like deltas. I read somwhere that the max reccomended wattage per fan should be <6watts (if I remember right). It's working for me though and it doesn't even get warm.
-Edit- Oh yeah, the knobs stick out about 1/2"

Re: Another "New guy to watercooling thread". But I have done my homework..... I think

SnowRider said:
Additives -=- Dtek Visible Blue UV Dye and Zerex Super Coolant or Super Protector
Which of the Zerex products is better for H²O cooling? I've heard the Super Protector is clear (which is nice) but I think the Super Coolant is more popular.[/B]

So, do you guys think ShowRider should use these additives? I'm asking because I'm also considering using Zerex Super Coolant combined with "Dye-Lite" blue UV dye.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Another "New guy to watercooling thread". But I have done my homework..... I

GV2NIX said:

So, do you guys think these ShowRider should use these additives? I'm asking because I'm also considering using Zerex Super Coolant combined with "Dye-Lite" blue UV dye.

I'd like to use Dye-Lite also since I've heard that's the best but it's only blue under UV light. In normal light it's clear so you'd have purple water from the Zerex just to warn you. That Dtek stuff is supposed to be dark blue in daylight and glow blue under UV light. I'm considering ditching the Zerex and heading down to the Volkswagon dealer to pick up some of the Antifreeze these guys got http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254437&highlight=blue+antifreeze

Re: Re: Re: Another "New guy to watercooling thread". But I have done my homework..... I

SnowRider said:

I'd like to use Dye-Lite also since I've heard that's the best but it's only blue under UV light. In normal light it's clear so you'd have purple water from the Zerex just to warn you. That Dtek stuff is supposed to be dark blue in daylight and glow blue under UV light. I'm considering ditching the Zerex and heading down to the Volkswagon dealer to pick up some of the Antifreeze these guys got http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254437&highlight=blue+antifreeze

Like you, I'm concerned with keeping my tubing clear, so I'm thinking then maybe I'll just go with Zerex and skip the dye? I won't be having any lights, so I guess it doesn't matter whether I use dye or not unless I want to use it as a leak-locator.

Actually I don't want my water to be clear. I want a deep icy blue type color. But yeah, if you're not gonna have any UV lights in your case then that dye-light would be a waste of money since it only shows up under UV light. So just to clarify, if you only use water and Zerex you'll end up with purple-ish water.

Wow.

First of all:
Good looking system- excellent job with the wiring too!
That's usually the thing we all neglect the most and get to pick on when pics are posted..so you've stolen my fun there! ;)

The system looks great as listed- I am slightly out of touch with the available blocks now, but from what I remember they should do just fine. :)

The only thing I would suggest is to consider using a T-Line instead of a res, especially in a case where room is tight.

And finally:

Excellent job researching beforehand!!!!!!!
I have seen few people posting their H2O entrance thread with the amount of info and good choices you have made.

rogerdugans said:
Wow.

First of all:
That's usually the thing we all neglect the most and get to pick on when pics are posted..so you've stolen my fun there! ;)

The system looks great as listed- I am slightly out of touch with the available blocks now, but from what I remember they should do just fine. :)

The only thing I would suggest is to consider using a T-Line instead of a res, especially in a case where room is tight.

And finally:

I have seen few people posting their H2O entrance thread with the amount of info and good choices you have made.

:eek: That is so freakishly close to what I was going to say.....

And definatly great job on reasearching beforehand! That is one of the best parts of this thread.

Anyways, all looks good, although, I dont really see the big deal with the zerex coolant, cant you just use antifreeze?

As for the Polarflo blocks, those are fairly new aren't they? Anyways, I dont know much about those blocks.

Me being an air cooler still :( :cry:, I would recomend the 120mm Thermal Take Smart Fan 2's for your rad fans. They have excellent airflow to noise ratio's and are completely adjustable. They can go down really low and quiet, or relatively high, good for 95-100CFM maxed out. But they come with their own adjuster. Click the orange link in my signature for more details!

Excellent fans.

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

rogerdugans said:
Wow.

First of all:

And finally:

Thank you :D! I am doing some looking around as to the pro's and con's of T-lines which I don't want to go into here but lets say that I am considering it because of the space constraints of my case. Oh yeah....... sorry I stole your fun :p

@md0Cer said:

:eek: That is so freakishly close to what I was going to say.....

And definatly great job on reasearching beforehand! That is one of the best parts of this thread.

Anyways, all looks good, although, I dont really see the big deal with the zerex coolant, cant you just use antifreeze?

As for the Polarflo blocks, those are fairly new aren't they? Anyways, I dont know much about those blocks.

Me being an air cooler still :( :cry:, I would recomend the 120mm Thermal Take Smart Fan 2's for your rad fans. They have excellent airflow to noise ratio's and are completely adjustable. They can go down really low and quiet, or relatively high, good for 95-100CFM maxed out. But they come with their own adjuster. Click the orange link in my signature for more details!

Excellent fans.

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

lol @ you guys thinking the same things.
I've just started to consider going to antifreeze instead of an additive like WaterWetter or Zerex. Does antifreeze do the same thing or will it increase the surface tension of the water unlike WW or Zerex? I like the look of that "pentosin" antifreeze in this thread so if I did go with antifreeze that'd prolly be the one I'd want to go with.
I just checked out those fans and they don't seem to have as good of a noise/air ratio as the SilenX or Evercool fans as far as I can tell (I'm not saying they're bad fans, just that they don't seem as good as the others). Plus they're a sunburned orange color that kinda clashes with my case lol :rolleyes:. I read somwhere that you don't need massive amounts of air being pushed if you're using a rad/heatercore. I think it said 50cfm minimum. Is this true? Or "sort of" true. I'm guessing that it's "sort of" true since more airflow is usually better but after a certain point the difference between the air being moved and the temp decrease isn't as noticeable? Oh..... and I'm sorry you're still air cooling ;)(like me). I can't wait to make the switch from air.
Thanks for the help!!

BTW -=- I love your sig (even though I have a P4) hahahahaha

Last edited:
Back