• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "new rig, need suggestions" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Well, it's been a long time since I've been on these forums. I used to be pretty into building computers and overclocking them a few years back, and then I kind of got more interested in modding my car instead. Anyways, long story short, I'm back, and I've got quite a few questions.

The basics of the story are that my computer which has served me faithfully for the past few years finally decided to crap out on me. The video card was the first to go, and after some testing, I realized it took the motherboard with it. Since it's an older Barton 2500+ system, replacing the motherboard is basically out of the question since newegg only stocks two socket A mobo's anymore, and they're both made by cheap inferior companies. So, I'm in the market for a core 2 duo based system. I've priced some thing out on newegg already but I'm so far out of the loop that I really need some of the expertise on this forum.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

ABIT IP35V P35 Mobo
Intel E6420 Processor
Crucial Ballistix 2Gb (2 x 1024) DDR2 1066 Memory
mushkin 550250 ATX12V / EPS12V 580W Power Supply

I need some good suggestions on a video card, definitely looking to go with an nVidia, but not sure what to go with. I'm looking for something preferably no more than $200. As far as gaming goes, I guess I'm what you would call a slightly more than casual gamer. I really only get the time to enjoy some gaming on the weekend, and I'm not terribly concerned with having the fastest frame rates ever. I guess I'm looking for something that will match up well with the rest of the system once it's overclocked.

As for the power supply, is 580W going to be enough for this system, I should think so? Not sure about the reputation of mushkin power supplies, I've always stood by Antec, but I like the modular cabling support the mushkin has.

Cooling would be done with a DangerDen D5 pump and the TDX block using a dual 120mm heatercore that I have in my current system.

Oh yeah, also, I've never ever overclocked or bought Intel before, so I really have no idea what I'm doing, so, any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks like a good build. Heres what I would change:

Corsair 520HX PSU instead of the mushkin. It seems to be the popular one, It sure has served me well. (there's a 620 version as well, if you feel the need for more juice)

Videocards:

In the $200 range:
nVidia 8800GT w/ 256MB vram
ATi 3850 w/ 256MB vram

For a little more:
nVidia 8800GT w/ 512MB vram
ATi 3870 w/ 512MB vram

The nVidias are just a hair ahead in performance but cost a bit more. And games are being played at much higher resolutions than they have in the past so your best bet would be one of the 512 versions.

Good luck!

Back