• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillinja666

ya ya im a noob...
anyhow, so when i get my cpu on monday ( thanks new egg for the delay ) and i go to attach my dark knight cooler to it, how much thermal paste stuff do i put on? do i try to cover the entire top of the cpu or just a big glob in the middle and call it a day? :shrug:

thanks...

Conumdrum

A blob smaller than a pea, larger than a grain of rice. Place cooler on it gently, start tightening screws 1-2 turns at a time in an x pattern.

lots of vids on YTube. Google is your friend.

Daddyjaxx

Place cooler on it gently, start tightening screws 1-2 turns at a time in an x pattern.

How do you know he is getting an Intel CPU? :clap: AMD's don't work that way with the DK. If you have an AMD, it's the same thing except there is a brace that attaches to one side of the CPU bracket and a clip to the other side taht you rotate. It's kind of flimsy, so you need to be careful.

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

ya its an amd...ok so a pea sized thing of paste. thanks! lol i couldnt remember..its been forever since ive done this stuff

Daddyjaxx

Dude, he was joking. You don't want to be ticking off one of the well respected members here, especially if you ever plan on coming here for watercooling advice.

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

i just dont like people pooping on my new system that im still building...sorry for getting aggressive...im having a very bad day :rain:

Daddyjaxx

AMD's are fine. What are you getting. If you are getting a DK, you should know that you may only be able to point orient the HSF so that it blows out the top of the case. You can blame AMD on the mounting bracket. Hope you have a top exhaust fan. Also, if you have extra tall RAM, it may not fit under the DK.

Just built my father a 720 system with the DK and Ripjaws on an Asus board. Ripjaws are extra tall and wouldn't fit, so I had to use the other slots.

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

ya i got the antec 900 case and it has a huge 200 mm top fan. im getting a [email protected] and hoping to hit 4ghz on air. system is
msi 790fx
4gb obsidian 1600
wd caviar black
on a corsair 750
should be fun

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

the sad part is my tiny *** moniter only 1280X1024 :( after i get a new moniter ill get a second 5770. hopefully though the 4ghz oc should be easy with this setup.