• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another ocs obsidian thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillinja666

So ya i got the same problem as everyone else.. mem is running at 1066 instead of 1600. Im running the msi 790fx board with the 1.6 bios. If i adjust the multiplier to 1:4 i get 1600mhz, but i get crashes in win 7. It keeps saying win explorer encountered an error and recovers...wtf?

so what do I do, i have never messed with mem settings before. I read the other two threads, but when i take my mem of auto there is a huge list of items i can change and I dont know wtf im doing lol

Edit: supposed to be ocz not ocs.. lol

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Under the Advance DRAM Configuration menu, change...

Code:
DRAM Timing Mode: Both
CAS Latency (CL): 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24

... and leave all of the sub-timings on AUTO. Also under the Cell Menu, change DRAM Voltage to 1.65V. And before attempting to boot into Windows w/ those settings, make sure to run Memtest86+ beforehand.

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

Under the Advance DRAM Configuration menu, change...

Code:
DRAM Timing Mode: Both
CAS Latency (CL): 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24

... and leave all of the sub-timings on AUTO. Also under the Cell Menu, change DRAM Voltage to 1.65V. And before attempting to boot into Windows w/ those settings, make sure to run Memtest86+ beforehand.

thanks for the settings. im going to run memtest86 tomorrow when i get time. So far though everything is holding, no random crashes any more. I put those settings in and then changed the multiplier to 1:4 The only issue i had is when i went to adjust the voltage to 1.65 none of my voltages were unlocked. they all showed auto and i wasnt able to change anything.. i poked around in bios for a while but I couldnt figure out how to unlock those settings..are you familiar with the 1.6 bios for this board?

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

ya so i didnt get to do mem test yet, but while letting my girlfriend check her email real quick windows crashed to a black screen. I'm going to do mem test when i get home tonight, but i think i got crappy mem. If it fails ill test one stick at a time and see what happens. Is this normal with this brand of ram?

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

So i did mem test. If failed. When i run it with the mem set to 1066 it passes. when it runs at 1600 it fails. all the setting set the way i was told, what should i do? RMA?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Aside from the settings in the pic. (yours should obviously be set to 9-9-9-24), is this how you have the Advance DRAM Configuration page set up, along w/ DRAM voltage set to 1.65V?...

Attachments

• bios9.jpg
    bios9.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 205
OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

ya ive tried that setting. I also updated the bios to 1.63 which are supposed to address the 1600 issue. Still cant get it to run. I went to the ocz forum and they suggested bumping the cpu nb-vdd voltage up to 1.2625 also to try to help. It still doesnt run at 1600. it will do 1333 and pass mem test but not 1600. I dont really know what to do now. Do you think running the ram in slots 3 and 4 and trying again might help? ive heard these boards are finiky about that..

Last edited:

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Try changing these settings...

Code:
Bank Cycle Time (tRC): 32 - 40 clocks 
Command Rate (CR): 2T 
HT Link Voltage: 1.4 - 1.5
NB Voltage: 1.3 - 1.4

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
ya ive tried that setting. I also updated the bios to 1.63 which are supposed to address the 1600 issue. Still cant get it to run. I went to the ocz forum and they suggested bumping the cpu nb-vdd voltage up to 1.2625 also to try to help. It still doesnt run at 1600. it will do 1333 and pass mem test but not 1600. I dont really know what to do now. Do you think running the ram in slots 3 and 4 and trying again might help? ive heard these boards are finiky about that..

The bolded is a BIG no-no. Never take cpu overvolting advice from a forum of a company that doesn't make processors... :screwy: Don't run your cpu-nb voltage above 1.2 if you don't have to. The effects of long-term voltage raises in that area of the processor are yet to be realized, but most think it will be just like raising cpu voltage. Which in this case you are over a .1 increase which is not good to run for extended periods of time. A more likely beneficial idea would be to raise the ram voltage to 1.7v and then 1.75 if that doesn't work. Although they are rated for a low voltage, the timings point to a low binned set of ram. I have heard numerous times that the ocz sets wouldn't run 1600. Try using the 1333 settings at 8-8-8-24.