• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another proposed system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ketzer

Thanks, everyone, for your patience in looking through these. :)

This is the first of two that I'll be building in the near future. I set out with the intention of upgrading my 3-year-old XP1900-based machine, but I've replaced so many parts it's more or less going to be a new system.

Its purpose is to handle pretty much everything from MP3 storage to all sorts of games.

Case: Lian-Li PC-60USB B2

PSU: Enermax Whisper II 535W power supply

Mobo: Abit AN8 Socket 939 nForce 4

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3500+, retail

RAM: 2x Corsair XMS 512 MB PC3200, 2-3-3-6

Video: ATI Radeon X800XL PCI-E 256 MB

HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB, 16 MB cache

Opticals: 1. Plextor PX716SA/SW SATA DVD burner
2.​
Lite-On SOHC-5236K IDE Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW​
FDD: 2x Mitsumi. The beige one.

This is all going to be running on Win XP Pro 32-bit.

I already have a solid wireless keyboard and mouse. Display is a Samsung 19" LCD that I picked up a few days ago, although I may return it and go back to that 17" Trinitron CRT.

Two FDD's because, one, I can grab one out of this box. Two, I still use them a lot. Three, come on, how many computers do you see today with a B: disk drive? :)

Forgive me if I made some glaring compatibility faux pas; I've been trying to catch up on what appears to be a complete standards upheaval over the past three years or so. That's why I'm posting here first.

Last edited: