• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I wanna know something ...... ok right now I've got my modem going to my PC which is a gateway so the other two computer get the net from it.... its hard wired lan... so if i take another PC and put it on that LAN...can I also make a WAN and have them both connected and accessed by one PC ? im just gonna be using them for seti and maybe gaming sometimes.

foxforcefive

That isn't what a WAN is. It would still be a LAN. What do you mean by "both connected and accessed by one PC?"

Just need some clarification before I can help out.

BL

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
well ummm like this

[modem]-------[gateway]---------[hub]-------[PC]
[another PC offa the hub]-------------[PC between hardwire & wireless] ))))))))))))))))[wireless hub]))))))))[PC]))))))))))))))))[PC]

any better ? i can make something in paint if you want ?

Oswalden

Registered
I don't fully understand your question, but based on your drawing, that setup would work as long as you configure your PCs right.

Oswalden

Registered
I figured out what you were asking...you want to create a LAN with both 100baseT and 802.11...that will work, just have your WLAN computers use the IP address of the PC with LAN connection as it's gateway and then pipe that on through to your real gateway. One point it that you'll want to use one of your better PCs for that LAN to WLAN translation.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
yeah it'll be a 3.06Ghz P4 and 512Mb of DDR 333 or 400 or 433 whatever is out then. oh one more questions... anyway to make them work on giga bit ethernet ?