• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another SSD question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

Thanks to the articles and posts, I am getting one(hopefully today).

I already decided on MLC, SLC is nice but $$$.

Due to my location and shipping charges/times I am looking at the local store. I may still go with newegg, but these are some I found out here.

Choices are

Kingston SNV125-S2BD(or S2BN) 64GB. Newegg has it for $159, I can get it local out the door for $140.

or

Kingston same drive but 128GB for $240(Newegg and local same price roughly)

or

OCZ 1VTX 30GB. Newegg has it on sale for $140 after rebate, or I can get it at the local store for $165.

or

any of the other cheap ones on Newegg.

Imation M-Class 32GB for $80.

I am really just curious if I should go with quality or quantity.

Thanks - HS

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
I would try to find one of the x25 intels, even if it is the 40g kingston. the small reads and writes make it the more usabe drive to me. the barefoot drives are ok I have had both and prefer the intel based all the way

OP
H

Headstand

I would try to find one of the x25 intels, even if it is the 40g kingston. the small reads and writes make it the more usabe drive to me. the barefoot drives are ok I have had both and prefer the intel based all the way

Noob question.

So the Kingston is an x25? I was told there is SLC, MLC and x25, with x25 being Intel's "new" MLC?? Is that about right? I didn't know others were using x25 technology, I thought it was just Intel's faster processor?

Until 2 days ago, I didn't even care about getting a SSD, but the reviews talked me into it.

dejo

intel lets kingston use their tech. they dont have the trim command yet. but the 40g can be had for around 100. the sequential writes arent great but the drives perform well for the money and have decent space. dont rec the ocz 30 gig

flopper

V+ use samsung controller which is ok.
the V serie use a modified jm602 controller which should be avoided, it works but "might" have stutter issues.

dejo

the v series 40g is intel also, but it is the only v series that is.