• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another way out there cooling idea. But might work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slain

Ok we know that a gas cools as it expands, so has anyone tried putting the output of an air compressor onto a heatsink.
Would be noisy as hell but at least the air hitting the sink would be cold.

P.S. I tempted to try this with by diving cylinder, but 232 Bar pressure is a bit volatile. Maybe I need a few beers before I try that experiment ;D

The problem is that, air follows the laws of thermodynamics just like everything else. If air cools down as it decompresses, then it must heat up when it compresses. Thus, an air-compressor wouldn't work. The air would be room temperature, or even higher(slight amounts of heat would be transferred to the air by the compressor). If you had a TANK of compressed air, that had already been cooled down to room temp in the tank, then it might work, but the problem is you'd have to refill the compressed air tank every once and a while...and wouldn't it make hissing noise all the time?

yes, some senior did this. Hooked a cold plate to his duron with temp sensor. When it started getting a little hot, he blasted it out down to room temps. So its feasible.

To much energy wasted compressing the air. put that energy (money) into more efficient cooling methods. Water pump, BIG FANS.

well not saying this is an efficient method, but it would work. And yes, gasses get hotter when compressed. If you compress a gas really quickly in a small tube, you can actually ignite a piece of paper, i did this, and it was very cool!

dunno260 (Jun 04, 2001 11:14 p.m.):
yes, some senior did this. Hooked a cold plate to his duron with temp sensor. When it started getting a little hot, he blasted it out down to room temps. So its feasible.

Worked great and my hearing eventually returned! ;D

Talk about Cohesive Air!

Hoot

Back