• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another win2k install problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fightingpiper

Ok here goes may get lengthy. Systme specs...k7s5a mobo, 1gig athlon, 1.7 gig quantom HD, gforce2 mx 200, 256 DDR.

tried to format HD with Win 2k but system would freeze so I had to UNDER-clock it to 100/100 just to get it booting so now running at 750MHz. Well got it to boot into desktop but as soon as I tried to put the drivers for the vid card on the system would freeze on boot up about 3/4 away through the WIN 2k pro splash screen. Remembered forgot to put Direct x on it so did a boot to safe mode/networking and loaded direct x 8.1. now it goes all the way into the desktop screen and looks just fine while loading until the very end when it flashes and it goes black except for the start/systray bar on the bottom of the screen and the mouse curser with a little bit of the desktop green around it.

I have tried a different video card, a different power supply, different memory. I have also replaced the chip with a 1.2 duron that does not require to be UNDER-clocked but it still goes to a black screen at the final end of the desktop loading.......is it a bad mobo?

Right now i am reformatting the hard drive doing a fresh install and i'll keep you posted.

cerberus

what os did you have on there before? you may have to do a complete low level format... also you may not have enough actual space to run the os properly... it takes quite a bit just to install plus u have swap and io cache and reserved slack space... u might want to invest in a larger HD

OP
Fightingpiper

Fightingpiper

I pulled the HD from an ol' pentium and it had win2k on it before which was was working fine- before that it had 98. I need the hard drive just to get the thing booted. I have an external usb 2.0 for anything I may want to put on there. The machine is only gonna be folding and used as an extra gaming machine when the friends come over....besides i dont have the dough for an new HD..