• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 1200? Nah, Antec 300 does the job nicely!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

So, You need a case for watercooling but you are falling a little short in the pocket book? Antec 300 $50 vs Antec 1200 for $160. Ill take the 300 :D

I purchased a 120.3 swiftech radiator to replace my 120.2. I was going to sell it, but after being lazy and letting it sit for a month, I did some measuring and got to cutting.

If anyone knows about the 300, it has 2x120mm fans (like the other cases). So I drilled out he rivets on the right front side plate that hides the cables and is the backplate for the HDD's. I then trimmed about 1/2" more on 2 sides (right side and top side) and the 120.2 slid right in :D I have my 120.3 hanging off the back.

I have whats in my SIG, 4.2ghz @ 1.25v which can create quite a bit of heat. I have low speed yates on the 120.3 and medium speed on the 120.2 (PC is almost silent). My temps dropped 8c with the addition of the radiator full load in linx! I now load at a 61c when heatsoaked. Keep in mind this is with a 24c ambient. I know this time of year alot of people have sub 20c ambients, Im not so lucky (infact my A/C just cut off).

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

water3.jpg

water4.jpg

Last edited:
Attaway doz. The good ol 300 and a little bit of imagination.
And doesn't even look like you had to use a shoehorn to get it all in there. ;) Nice job!

a 38mm fan between the rad and case would help that a bit. That was the main reason I did an internal mount on my 900. But that was back when I used to use cases for my PCs.

Now that folks is a SOLID CPU only loop with more raddage to spare!! Very very nice. I'd like to see pics of the front rad mount if possible.

Did you ever see Petras 120x2x2 mount on the sides of a 900? Think it's on Youtube. I got a 900 here with a decent setup just collecting dust. I think of someday doing the same for my HTPC setup when I feel like it.

The front rad just sits snug in there. I had zip-ties on it, but it made no difference so I just took em off. I have my reservoir that is up tight against it. Its a VERY tight fit, but it fits well. It has very good airflow. I managed to get all the cables tucked in on the back side, so they arent really impeding airflow. Monitor cable is VERY tight, but it fits. Everything is actually a tight fit and it kinda sucks to tear it down when I need to, but oh well makes things interesting.

I wanted to change the tubing and go with all black, but I found about 3 ft of clear tubing left over from the last time and decided just to add the radiator and Ill change tubing 6 months down the line.

And if anyone is wondering, thats not dye in the water lol. Its water wetter.

I like it. It also gives me a little bit better of an idea of what my 900 will look like with the rad mounted on the back. So far, I have my blocks and my pump, so I just need to order up my rad, res, silver strip to make a couple kill coils out of, and tubing.

Ive never had an issue with WW. It was suggested to me as an alternate when I first built my loop almost a year ago now. First time I pulled it apart, it ran for 6 months. I checked the water and there was NO buildup whatsover and the water was very clean.

Its also fairly cheap for the amount you get. Works well IMO.

Great strong loop!! Love it

Ya I love that case. I have used it three times for my friends computers. It is by far the best case for the money!!

i give you some MAJOR props to fit all that in the 300. Its a bitchin case dont get me wrong but my buddies i5 rid that i built, with a gtx 260, 1optical drive, and 2 hds is TIGHT in that case, and hes using stock i5 hs.

Also like someone else stated a 38mm fan between the rad and case would get you some more clearance, and I would just use a gutted 38mm one, or 2 gutted 25's... im sure someone has some crapped out 38mm thick 120mm fans laying around they wouldnt mind gettin rid of.

looks nice, i would of used the top fan hole to mount the radiator on ,i have the rad mounted on the back of my case, and it makes it a pain to plug in the cables.

You don't have enough cooling. Get rid of one of the hard drives and put the other on the floor. Move your CD down and put a triple on top. You'd really have everyone going OMG!

LOL. Actually I might space the rear radiator back a bit more. I have a 38mm I dont use that I could either gut, or just use as a pusher OR I have a gutted fan already that used to be my spacer (not I just use a push/pull on the top). Just need to visit the hardware store and get some longer bolts. As far as the top mount, yeah I could do that too. I cant now though as I have no room for the 120.3 uptop. Unless I found a creative way to mount the HDD's (which are mounted in the 5.25 bays right now) and lowered the CDDrive.

I'll sing the 300 all day. The only real problem is with longer video cards, you're going to make it tough if you have all your drive slots filled, like it do. At that point cable management is a PITA.

just take out the CD drive, and use an external one.
i mean, how often do you use the cd drive anyways?

LOL Drive slots? I took the back part of the harddrive cage out so I could fit my radiator. I will take a picture in a bit with the front bezel off.

Back