• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Power Supply Dead?? How to test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks guys...Ah..I know of that feature, but didn't know that's what it is called. The CX is nice, all cables sleeved, good review, great price w/rebate..But may not be able to wait to receive it..May have to get something local.

Viper,

The Antec Earthwatts is fine if you're pressed to get one now.

Thanks, I'm going to get it.

I hope when I put it in, my computer fires up. If it doesn't crap!

Once I get the new power supply, which would you recommend:

1. Reconnecting it to everything and firing it up.

2. Just attaching the 20pin to the mobo and see what happens

3. Attaching it to a fan, and see if it starts, and if so, test the voltages via the 20 pin with my multimeter.

Thanks, I'm going to get it.

I hope when I put it in, my computer fires up. If it doesn't crap!

My old True 430W (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1287 had 2 fans (1 small, 1 large). This PSU only has a smaller one. I hope it works as well.

I have a question regarding the following I found in the Antec manual for the new PSU. I assume this is for newer boards,?? as my board doesn't have this type of connection. If that's the case, why was there a change? or what advantage does it provide if any. Just curious, this doesn't mean my board won't fire up, right??? Just sounds weird.

"Connect the 8-pin or 4-pin ATX12V connector for the CPU to the appropriate connector on your motherboard. If your motherboard has an 8-pin socket with a cover on some of the openings, we recommend that you remove the cover and use the 8-pin connector.
Note: Please also refer to your motherboard user’s manual for any special instructions."

Manual>> http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/EA-430D_Green_manual_EN.pdf

Last edited:
Just noticed you have an A7N8X - that's an ancient 5V based motherboard. The EA-430D isn't designed to power it with a combined 3.3V/5V rating of only 115W. It may not be able to do it.

These types of boards are so old now, there likely aren't a lot of options for them out there anymore. Look for a combined 3.3V/5V rating (all decent units will have this listed on the label somewhere) of around 180W. I'd help look, but I have two review samples to test today.

Just noticed you have an A7N8X - that's an ancient 5V based motherboard. The EA-430D isn't designed to power it with a combined 3.3V/5V rating of only 115W. It may not be able to do it.

These types of boards are so old now, there likely aren't a lot of options for them out there anymore. Look for a combined 3.3V/5V rating (all decent units will have this listed on the label somewhere) of around 180W. I'd help look, but I have two review samples to test today.

OW,

You're correct and I think we completely overlooked that. Let me see if I can find a short list for him............

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103915 (200w 3 & 5v)

Last edited:

It powered up my board, and everything seems to be working fine from what I can tell. I haven't tested the peripherals yet however.

The only recurring problem I'm having is when I turn on the computer, the little "Found New Hardware" balloon pops up on the lower right of the system tray.

It reads found new hardware "Multimedia Audio Controller"

I THINK that's because I pulled the CMOS battery out to test its voltage maybe????

In any event, it's annoying, and I cannot get it to stop. When I click "find software" It just keeps searching and searching.

I wonder if the Audio controller it's referring to is the on board audio chip set, which I never use???

OR, my trusty old SB Live 5.1 sound bard. I have plugged my 2.1 speakers into the card and I can play mp3 files and video files from the hard drive w/sound w/out a problem.

Any ideas guys???

Back