• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antec pp412x 400watt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbell

the real xtremesys admin in exile
ok this question was *semi answered* in the asus mobo thread... but it belongs here.

I have the 400watt antec PSU, my -5V rail is dying ... they suggested I go in and adjust my pots that control the 12V and 5V rails.... ok my questions are.

#1 What is a pot?

#2 is it the yellow tabs inside?

#3 how do I adjust them?

#4 would inverting my fan improve the cooling inside my psu?

Last edited:

mbigna

I have an Antec PP412X as well, though that in itself doesn't make me an expert...

1. POT--short for potentiometer (I hope I spelled that correctly). It is a 3-terminal resistor with an adjustable center terminal used to adjust your voltage(s).

2. I haven't opened my PSU to know for sure what color they may be, but most that I have seen look like a small silver/chrome box with a hole in the top in which a [possibly colored] plastic 'screw' is located.

3. The 'screw' has a slot where you would insert your straight bladed screwdriver and turn one way or the other to adjust your voltage.

4. Possibly--but it would end up heating up the rest of your system because you would then be blowing warm air (heated by your PSU) INTO your case. Most cases are set up to suck in cool outside air from the bottom and as the air flows up the case, the air warms from the components inside and is blown out the top through your PSU. Airflow is facilitated by the tendency of warm air to rise. Since PSU's are usually don't fail due to overheating, they are located at the top of most (tower) cases because they generate so much heat that would otherwise be detrimental to the more heat sensitive components of your computer. If you believe you are having heat problems, add fans to blow air into your system from the bottom and fans blowing more warm air out from the top. Your airflow in should roughly match your airflow out (neither positive or negative pressure inside your case).

If your Antec is failing, I would suggest that there is some component failing rather than attributing it to a heat problem. Though, if you are already inside your PSU, make sure that you clean all the dust out--PSU's are veritible traps for all sorts of junk ranging from dust, to spiders (and webs and eggs), and cigarette smoke residue. Blowing and wiping out the insides may clear up any overheating problems and also solve any shorts/drains to ground caused by unwanted debris.

OP
jbell

jbell

the real xtremesys admin in exile
talked to buddy at XTW - found it! and modded it gonan test her out !

The POT is blue with epoxy on it but with boxcutter it broke free easily!

http://www.3dxtreme.org/psumod.shtml

thanks!

XTW rules!!! (Thanks Gootch)