• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec TriCool 120mm Fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I've looked all over for these fans. I've searched these forums, google, eBay, Amazon, Antec's website.

Why are these fans so hard to come by? I bought a P182 case, it came with 3 120mm TriCool 3 speed black fans. I replaced all the fans in it and ended up selling them. About 7 months later (last week) I bought the Three Hundred case. It's going to be my HTPC. I want to fill the remaining fan slots with plain black fans, I remember these fans moving a decent amount of air. It has one of these fans installed and a 140mm version in the top. leaves me with 3 fan slots (Exactly how many I sold a while back >< )

So where can I get these? I see someone seeing one here, a week later someone sells another. A local computer shop has 2 and are selling them for $28 a piece. No thanks.

Any ideas? Thanks.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
you dont really have to get antecs. I just picked up a case worth of yate loons for cheap. They are nice and quiet with still some decent airflow. And at (iirc) $4.25 a fan its a killer deal.

OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I was kinda hoping to keep it all uniform. I love these fans. I wanted to find 4 more somewhere at a decent price. Otherwise, Newegg has these Rosewills that seem to push a lot of air at about the same noise level of the Antecs on high.

Thought maybe someone had some ideas. . .

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I was kinda hoping to keep it all uniform. I love these fans. I wanted to find 4 more somewhere at a decent price. Otherwise, Newegg has these Rosewills that seem to push a lot of air at about the same noise level of the Antecs on high.

Thought maybe someone had some ideas. . .
Except there are very few companies that actually rate their fans correctly or honestly. There are fans out there that claim 90cfm at 19db. The movement from the air alone is more than 19db, now add motor noise and blade noise.

CFM ratings are usually fairly correct, although some make me wonder if it had a "tail wind" to help it out or if the numbers were 'estimated'. The sound level is usually where it is just disgustingly off. You don't know how they measured it and they won't tell you. Did they measure it at 1 inch? 10 inches? A mile? Around the corner? Through a brick wall? Was the fan in a vaccuum chamber?! Sometimes it makes you wonder when you see these impossible numbers. Another trick they use is run the fan at 12v to get the CFM rating and run the fan at absolutely the lowest voltage it will spin at to get the noise level. Obviously, these numbers don't give a fair representation of what the fan actually runs like. It would be like car makers saying that a car will get 40mpg and do 115 mph; not at the same time, mind you, but that is how they word it.

Good fan companies will give extensive and detailed white papers like this one from Delta. You can see exactly how the fan will perform with x pressure.
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/dcfans/download/pdf/AFB/AFB120x120x38mm.pdf

The other thing to consider is quality. While I prefer very high end fans (Panaflo, Delta, etc), there are good alternatives. The Yate Loon suggestion is very good, they are cheap and they are decent quality. While they use a sleeve bearing and tend to die faster, you can not beat $5 each. If you want long lasting fans that will last years, let us know and we can point you to them. Otherwise, grab some Yate Loons from Jab Tech, Performance PCs, Petras Tech Shop or wherever you like to buy stuff.

Last edited:
OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I think I'm just going with 4 YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SL-12. They seem decent enough. 4 of these and a 24 pack of screws for $24 shipped, works for me. The Rosewills have mixed reviews, I'm looking for quiet.

I have 7 120mm Aerocool Silverlightning fans in my P182 (they replaced my 2 Antec TriCools) and they move so much air and I can't here them over my ceiling fan on medium speed. I'm looking for blacked out though on this new case (P182 is my gaming PC vs. this one being HTPC) so I don't want attention drawn to the tower at all.

Thank you guys!

Automata

I think I'm just going with 4 YATE LOON 120mm Case Fan - D12SL-12. They seem decent enough. 4 of these and a 24 pack of screws for $24 shipped, works for me. The Rosewills have mixed reviews, I'm looking for quiet.
If you have a fan controller, I'd suggest getting the medium speed (same price, mind you) and just turn them down. I've found that gives the capability of running higher if you need for the same price, so why not?

OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I would go with the medium speeds but I have no fan controller and I wouldn't want one sticking off the front. I will hold off for now, being it the weekend and orders don't go out yet anyway, and see if I can find one that mounts in an expansion slot on the rear.

Automata

I would go with the medium speeds but I have no fan controller and I wouldn't want one sticking off the front. I will hold off for now, being it the weekend and orders don't go out yet anyway, and see if I can find one that mounts in an expansion slot on the rear.
Makes sense. I don't think you will be disappointed with those fans. I wasn't aware there were "real" fan controllers for the PCI slots (not some 2w controller). Although, I could have easily overlooked them. I do have another suggestion though. You could get a Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme, snip the LED wires so it doesn't light up and mount it internally. You then have a hidden good fan controller.

OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I will look into it. A friend of mine has a nice 3 fan controller that mounts in the rear, at LAN parties, I end up hitting it with my feet and crank his fans all the way up, we are get like, wtf? xD

Will look into your suggestion as well. Trying to keep the budget low. Thank you much for your help!

Automata

Will look into your suggestion as well. Trying to keep the budget low. Thank you much for your help!
The controller should only be around $14. You can get the "regular" (older) version, only difference it is 4 channels instead of 6, for around $10. But for the price, the Extreme version can't be touched...

OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
I see it, I think it will do nicely but I will wait for now to get it. I ordered 4 medium speed fans from Xoxide, since they are sold out most everywhere. Shipped for about $24.50.

Maybe next week I will get the controller (Higher end model). Till then, I will just mount these fans in as is and see how they work out.

I appreciate all out your help. I will post my results when I get my fans (bout a week)

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
The controller should only be around $14. You can get the "regular" (older) version, only difference it is 4 channels instead of 6, for around $10. But for the price, the Extreme version can't be touched...

There is also the fact that the "regular" version handles 20W per channel, while the extreme is rated at 30W per channel.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that the LED's in the Rheobus are VERY bright. If you are looking for a rig that doesn't draw attention, you can always desolder or cut the leads to the LED's. I would try to leave them in the face though, since the holes may look a little off without something there.

Last edited:
OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
Yea, except that you totally missed the point of this post. None of those fans are what I was talking about. Antec does not even list them on their site.

OP
Wreckless Hype

Wreckless Hype

Registered
Thanks, i posted that a few hours ago xD

Fans already ordered. Needed something cheaper. Thank you