• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec True 430w Need input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

Friend of mine cant fire his PC I told him sounds like PSU from the description he gave me
No MB connected, I did a make shift load test, connected 3 old pata HD's and 3 Vantec tornado fans and a cdrom drive jumped black - Green

Under that load I checked the rails with a Multimeter this is what I got...
12v = 11.2v
5v at 5.1v
3.3v at 3.3v
Would you suspect that 12v rail?

Just looking at my rig's v. I'm at 11.96v on the 12v rail
Would you say its safe to assume his PSU's 12v rail is shot?

Thx for any input

Also If this thing is shot what uses can it be put to besides running fans? anyone have some creative ideas that you have done yourself In the past?
I hate to just toss it Ive used them in the past for parts but eh any suggestions?

Last edited:

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Friend of mine cant fire his PC I told him sounds like PSU from the description he gave me
No MB connected, I did a make shift load test, connected 3 old pata HD's and 3 Vantec tornado fans and a cdrom drive jumped black - Green

Under that load I checked the rails with a Multimeter this is what I got...
12v = 11.2v
5v at 5.1v
3.3v at 3.3v
Would you suspect that 12v rail?

Just looking at my rig's v. I'm at 11.96v on the 12v rail
Would you say its safe to assume his PSU's 12v rail is shot?

Thx for any input

Also If this thing is shot what uses can it be put to besides running fans? anyone have some creative ideas that you have done yourself In the past?
I hate to just toss it Ive used them in the past for parts but eh any suggestions?

Cozmo,

Those old Antec True Power and Smart Power units have a reputation of bad capacitors. Take a look through the screens to see if they are bulged or leaking on the tops. The 12v rails are shot if they read 11.2v with a DMM. Been there twice with the True Power units.............:(

Scrap it.