• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec True PSU's and FAN ONLY connectors??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I know for the antec true power PSU's, there are 4pin molexes for fans only. What is the difference between these fan only connectors and the regular 4 pin molexes?

Do they control the rpm of the fan in anyway? I want my fans runnin full blast, I dont care if the case temp is already pretty low.

gingo said:
I know for the antec true power PSU's, there are 4pin molexes for fans only. What is the difference between these fan only connectors and the regular 4 pin molexes?

Do they control the rpm of the fan in anyway? I want my fans runnin full blast, I dont care if the case temp is already pretty low.
Fans with 4 pin molex connectors only need 2 wires to power on. HD's and CD-ROMS need 4 wires. The fan only molex connectors will have only 2 pins but the fans will still run at full speed.

Fan only connectors run connected fans at the same speed as the power supply's fans. Thus they're going to run slower (ie undervolted) until the PSU gets to about 45 C then the PSU fans and the fans on the Fan only connectors will start to speed up.

If you want you fans going full the whole time, then use the normal molex connectors.

AntecRep

ahh, thanks. a more clear answer. looks like I wont be using the "fan only" connectors.

yea, I love/hate my true480.....my damn PSU fans are only running at 1600. the highest ive seen them is 1800....very annoying. I cant imagine having all my case fans at that.

By the way, anyone know how to hack the antec true PSUs to stop that stupid PSU fan regulation? really annoying that my sys is suffering because of it....

DaveSauce said:
yea, I love/hate my true480.....my damn PSU fans are only running at 1600. the highest ive seen them is 1800....very annoying. I cant imagine having all my case fans at that.

By the way, anyone know how to hack the antec true PSUs to stop that stupid PSU fan regulation? really annoying that my sys is suffering because of it....

Bump...

Yeah does anyone know how to disable the regulation on these true powers?

You could wire the fan directly to the +12V, if you don't mind the noise, or put a resistor across the thermistor to make the circuit think that the temperature is higher than it really is.

I don't know what size resistor would be best, but the few thermistors I checked were 2000-10,000 ohms at room temperature and 100-500 ohms when hotter.

The thermistor is probably on or near the low voltage heatsink (the one closest to all those output wires) and should be labelled "TH" on the circuit board. But my Powmax has it glued inside the hole of one of the toroid filter coils near that heatsink, and it measured less than 100 ohms at room temp.

BAH! I really don't feel like breaking open my PSU to just get the fans faster...I thought there was another way to do it. Oh well, thanks.

Back