• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec True550 to True control, can it be done ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenski

Registered
Have had my Antec true 550 for 12 months or so (before the true control was available:( )
Just wondering if anyone has moded theirs to be adjustable,
do the true control pots just add resistance to the sense wires or does it go deeper than that ?
Psu has been no problem, but when I upgraded my old Via board to an Nforce2 ultra I noticed a lower reading on the 12v rail(11.81v, 11.78v under load with a multimeter)
If I push the system too hard with overclocking raising to a high vcore etc the Pc occasionally reboots in 3d intense games at the same Cpu and memory settings that will run Prime95 overnight,
since I'm also running an R9700pro is the 24A on the 12v rail enough ?
I've noticed the newer models of several Psu's (ie Enermax for 1)
have relaxed the 5v and 3.3v output and raised the 12v, the new 430w Enermax has 35A on the 12v rail.

larva

Inactive Moderator
The TP550 is amongst the most powerful supplies made for PC use, and would be my choice above anything Enermax. I use the TP430, and have quite the stiff 12V load. It handles it fine.

Remember that the Enermax has a 35A rating, personally I believe pigs will fly before a 430W supply drives a true 35A load at 12V for a measurable quantity of time. Your supply is sure to drive the 24A that it is rated for, and that is more than enough for your application.

OP
K

Kenski

Registered
Thanks larva, I thought I should be fine, just the random reboots when I push the system too hard remind me of Psu failings with Generic Psu's, only seems to happen with raised Vcore around 1.95v with an overclocked 2800 barton at 2.4g + well over 100watts just there, maybe as I earlier suspected I've hit the wall with overclocking this rig, heat is not a problem, watercooled Cpu and good fans and heatsinks for everything else.
I.m more than happy with the performance at stable settings, but being a compulsive tweaker I though it would be nice to mod the Psu to "true control" specs, saw a few mentions in the Psu thread but a search for "sense mod" didn't reveal a lot,
any idea's where to look?.
Thanks again for the prompt reply to a paranoid overclocker :)

wildfrogman

Kenski, you have to remember some bartons/athlonxp .13 micron chips dont like high voltage and sometimes dont even boot above 1.8~1.9vcore depending on the stepping and individual cpu. It could be somthing on the board overheating or ram needing to be tweaked. Extra voltage or relaxed timings could possibly help if memtest/prime95 are showing errors. The northbridge may not be making good contact with the base of the heatsink/waterblock thats on it. Many people have either used a thermal pad or lapped the northbridge to get good contact. The thermal pad actually performs better than thermal grease if the grease layer is too thin to give good contact. Maybe you could take at some of those things. I hope this helps you out some.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Kenski said:
I though it would be nice to mod the Psu to "true control" specs, saw a few mentions in the Psu thread but a search for "sense mod" didn't reveal a lot,
any idea's where to look?.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php

Xtremesystems.org is your one-stop volt mod shopping destination. All common hardware like TP power supplies are there.

OP
K

Kenski

Registered
wildfrogman said:
Kenski, you have to remember some bartons/athlonxp .13 micron chips dont like high voltage and sometimes dont even boot above 1.8~1.9vcore depending on the stepping and individual cpu. It could be somthing on the board overheating or ram needing to be tweaked. Extra voltage or relaxed timings could possibly help if memtest/prime95 are showing errors. The northbridge may not be making good contact with the base of the heatsink/waterblock thats on it. Many people have either used a thermal pad or lapped the northbridge to get good contact. The thermal pad actually performs better than thermal grease if the grease layer is too thin to give good contact. Maybe you could take at some of those things. I hope this helps you out some.

Thanks,
Have no issues with memtest, prime95 or Fah, apart from the odd bit of gaming it folds 24/7 with no worries,
only seems to play up and reboot with a high overclock and heavy use of the R9700pro the higher I put the Vcore, vdimm or vagp the sooner it happens,
I'll try the voltmods on the Psu (thanks for the link larva) to eliminate it as the cause, even though I don't think it will make much difference, I like the idea of having adjustable volt rails.
Before I do I'll grab my Dmm from work and take readings from the Atx plug, 12v aux plug, the R9700pro's aux power plug, and a Hdd molex and see If I can get any clues.

Thanks for all the good advice guys.:)

OP
K

Kenski

Registered
Bit of an update,
One of my folding boxes had a Psu die, just a no name unit, 3.3v rail dropped under 2V, no boot,
Have several other Pc's and saw it as an opportunity to upgrade a few machines, so I bought an Enermax Eg465 with the intention of swapping out a 300W Hec Psu from another machine and using it for the folding box,
And then I thought "why not give it a quick try in my Pc first",
Well, dissapointed to say the least, dissapointed in the True550 that is, as I said in the initial post I had 12v rail voltages at 11.81v and 11.78v under load, now at the same settings I have 12.18v idle and 12.06v under load:)
So while the Enermax's rating of 30A+ on the 12v rail is doubted by some, it does supply my system fine, where the Antec seemed to struggle.
I can't say all comparisons between the two Psu's would come out the same, the Enermax is brand new whilst the Antec is 12 months old, so I can only comment on the ones that I have, suffice to say the Enermax is still in my Pc :)
To be fair to Antec though the Enermax is a newer design with revised 12V output specs, and in the manual that came with my True550 it does state +/- 10% regulation at peak 12V load.

System specs as tested:
Xp2800 @2365mhz 1.85v vcore
Chipset voltage + 10%
2 x twinx 256meg corsair ram @2.7v vdimm
[email protected] stock settings
2 x Wd Raptor hdd's in raid 0
2 x Wd800jb hdd's
Asus cdrw
Pioneer dvdrw
Digitaldoc5
5 x 80mm cooling fans
2x 120mm cooling fans

OP
K

Kenski

Registered
So far so good, system has been fine at the settings in the last post,
A pretty good overclock, any more will be 1mhz Fsb at a time with overnight testing, I'll keep you posted.

OP
K

Kenski

Registered
Another Update,
Getting good results so far, seem to have hit the wall with the Cpu overclock at 2450mhz @ 1.93v vcore, the most positive thing though is the total lack of reboot/reset when pushing hard, all that happens since the Enermax Psu was fitted is iether Prime95 fails, or If I drop the Vcore too much the system locks,
Have finally settled on 2360mhz @ 1.775v vcore and ran Prime95 overnight, loops of 3dmark2001 overnight to test, and have been running The Folding client 24/7 for the last week, tried all the previously "buggy" games and all worked flawlessly,
The Antec Psu has been working fine on a Kt400 mobo with an overclocked Xp2600, which by voltage readings doesn't tax the 12v rail the way the Nforce2/R9700 combo did, 12v hasn't dipped below 11.96v.
So to be fair both Psu's are great, it's just the newer spec Enermax Psu is more suited to the higher 12v demands of the newer system,
same old story of correctly matching all the components of a Pc.