• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti-cheat Causing System Crashes in Windows 10 Insider

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.techpowerup.com/253140/...system-crashes-in-windows-10-insider-previews

"Microsoft's Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Ring (beta versions of the OS) has not seen a new release in months. This is due to a common Anti-cheat software running amok and causing GSODs (replacement for BSODs in preview builds). The problem itself has existed for a few months and needs to be fixed by the creators of the software... Apparently, this isn't something Microsoft can fix due to how the software itself functions. Essentially the unspecified anti-cheat software runs in kernel mode and tampers with various aspects of the OS that it is not supposed to tamper with."

Anti-cheat software? Prevents cheating for what?

GSOD? Grey Screen Of Death?

M$ needs to get out of other people's DRM as a business model. It's ridiculous on its face and has caused endless headaches for end users. Sony FUBAR'd the the process years ago and M$ seems to be determined to utter "Hold my beer" on the subject at every turn.

Green Screen O' Death on insider builds. And to prevent cheating in games. In games. Where they have no business mucking about in the first place.

Game cheats like aim bots in FPS games, stuff like that. "Unauthorized" game mods. I don't use them, nor do I have pirated wares on my computers, but M$ making themselves the code police is a horrific overreach, IMO.

Okay, I get it now. Thanks. So these would be third party games not produced by Microsoft.

Yup. I would have no issue with them policing their own software. They do the same thing with music/video content, going back to Play Ready in W7.

Back