• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti-condensation idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vimal

Registered
One way to help avoid condensation (and associated long-term corrosion) problems might be to fill the socket with some sort of dessicant, such as the silica gel packets that are stuck in higher-end shoe boxes or inside the shoes themselves. (These are not a real gel, more like a bunch of tiny balls.)

I haven't actually tried this. I'm just throwing out the idea for any feedback, especially along the lines of "How could you forget about such and such....you could toast your proc" If there is no feedback along those lines, I may give it a shot.

I know that filing a socket with dessicant can't substitute for good insulation, but it may help remove that last bit of evil water vapor. (The kind that creeps in over months of uninterrupted use) Salt could also work, except should a real drop of water ever creep in there, the salt would make it infinately more dangerous. I'm pretty sure silica gel is not electrically conductive when dry, but don't know if silica gel is very solulable (sp?) and if it is very conductive in solution.

Lemme know what you all think about this.

Use something proven, dielectric grease available at any autoparts store.

Does dielectric grease absorb water? I was under the assumption that it merely made an effective seal.

Unless you mean coat the whole thing in dielectric grease (but you can't really get that stuff into the pinholes themselves, and i'm sure that is one of the places where corrosion would start)

vimal (Jul 09, 2001 09:14 p.m.):
Does dielectric grease absorb water? I was under the assumption that it merely made an effective seal.

Unless you mean coat the whole thing in dielectric grease (but you can't really get that stuff into the pinholes themselves, and i'm sure that is one of the places where corrosion would start)

Grease and water do not mix.
I use my finger and work the grease into the pin holes. It is no problem filling them up all the way it just takes a little time to work it in. This is a very important step, the pin holes must be filled with grease.
I have been running chilled water for a very long time and have never even seen any condensation nor have had any in the socket or pins. Good insulation, grease, and silicone will stop condensation cold.

You can get the grese at radioshack. In order to get it into the pin holes you can put a big blob of it over the top of the holes and push it in with your finger. Just keep adding grease until it oozes out the bottom of the socket.

Back