• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anti freeze evaporate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skinart

Does anyone one know if anti freeze will evaporate if i take the lid off my res or will just the water evap?

CrashOveride

i belive anti freeze wiill eveap... but it leave a weird powders tuff behind... my mom's coolant tube in her har exploded... well got a hole.. and antifreeze/water was all over... it was so hot that it was ntot wet but hteyere was a white poweder type thing that came off /w water... kinda like the salt you get from sal****er when it evaps.. only im pretty sure this stuff want salt... prolly would not help temps to do th9is for a long time as i think the concentration of those chemicals... which are prolly what ruins the thermal conductivity of antifreeze... would rise... i think... someone prolly knows this better than me... but thats my thoughts:D :eh?: :D

Paxmax

I think both will evaporate, but not at the same rate. It probably comes down to waters boiling point vs. antifreeze boiling point.

OP
S

skinart

ok so its leave the lid on the res find another way to kewl it down, thanx guyz

CrashOveride

you could get alot of rods- copper or somting-that go into the res and then stick our the top... that would prolly cool it well.. but you may need to finda way to stop corrosion without hurting thermal conductivity... meh jsut a thought:D :eh?: :D

Toysrme

ummmm. The raunchy smell of antiFreeze should tell you something LoL! DO you REALLY wanna be sitting with that stuff inhaling it all the time!? Nasty.

-Toysrme

OP
S

skinart

when its -15 out i was getting 18c full load thats with a plastic res which i just found out is insulating the water from the cold and no fans on any part of the system and no rad, I now have a steel res which i am going to mount the pump in and once it comes out of there i have a aluminum cylinder with 1/2 copper tubing wound inside of it which will be filled with water which will freeze outside and should keep it nice and kewl also.

CrashOveride

where u are dose it ever get warm.. not jsut canado lol:D... im not that uneducated but wehre u are... or jsut above the comfortave temp even? if nto that is handy for cooling!!! just maek sure hte water dosnt freeze so it cant be pumped or... so it cracks whatever your have it in... that would suck:D :eh?: :D

aenigma

What the ****?I am sorry, but you need to go back to school. :eek:

To the guy with the res outside:Your antifreeze will not evaporate, and you need to use a rad and not rely on a steel container...

OP
S

skinart

is -15 to -35 water and anti freeze mix not good enough for cooling aenigma? and Crash i am in Alberta

aenigma

skinart said:
is -15 to -35 water and anti freeze mix not good enough for cooling aenigma? and Crash i am in Alberta

I never said its not good enough for cooling.I said that a res sitting outside isn't good enough for cooling.You need a radiator if you actually want cold liquid.It wont magically cool itself, or else we wouldn't use radiators when we watercool...

OP
S

skinart

well i dont know then aenigma, all i have is a res outside with no fans or rad and the snow or the freezing weather seems to be magically keeping the water kool

Warlord2

if you have the res in snow that would be good enough but you might get some better temps if you had more surface area outside like a huge res or a heatercore. I wish I had that kind of weather:(

aenigma

Well I do know skinart.Because using a rad will get you good liquid temps, just having a res outside isn't going to do much.Sure it will do a little, but what is the point if your not going to do it right?Oh yeah, and 18c under load with this alleged -35c liquid... :rolleyes:
What is liquid temp after a full day of running full load?By the way, snow is ice.Ice cubes aren't -35c so snow isn't doing much for your temps, may even be insulating...Ice is actually a very good insulator...

OP
S

skinart

i have been folding for about 4 months now 24/7 and my temps do not vary much at all (183x10.5 1.9v) i know rad would give me better temps but this setup is working fine for me right now and has been for a while

johnnyw

aenigma, don´t bully the chap, if he is happy with his setup just let him go.
I do not think that setup will be nice when summer comes...... I´d rather have something done to work fine avery day of the year and not to worry about the temp outside :-o

aenigma

johnnyw said:
aenigma, don´t bully the chap, if he is happy with his setup just let him go.
I do not think that setup will be nice when summer comes...... I´d rather have something done to work fine avery day of the year and not to worry about the temp outside :-o

Uhm last time I checked I am not "bullying the chap".I was trying to tell him to use a radiator , and trying to find out his temps.But he never told them.So I am done.